The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lowering help, 19x10 inch rears

Rob Dublin

Just fitted 19 inch Tenzo GF7's to my 94 jspec n/a. 275/30/R19 rears. Problem is that it's sitting like a moonbuggy. 65mm tyre to arch at front and 75mm at the rear. Looking to get the aggressive offset look, so lowering it is my next investment.

Eventually coilovers the way to go but cash strapped for the mo so: 40mm lowering springs all round + roll arches? How low is this likely to be? Should be closer to the original ride height. It's not a daily driver, so happy enough to put up with the ride being harsh.

Chris Wilson's comments noted...!

Originally Posted by Chris Wilson

40 mm is a ludicrous amount to lower it, the front and back will be just off the bump rubbers in the dampers. Any spring that's stiff enough to keep it off the rubbers will be far too stiff for stock dampers to control. The kinematics of the suspension will be totally to pot with ridiculous roll centres and camber gains. Disastrous combination, handling wise. Quite why people are obsessed with lowering things into the ground I can't understand, when it just wrecks the ride and handling, and can be potentially dangerous This search for "the look" is pervading every element of UK life, form the size zero woman, incapable of work and reproductively unsound, to the slammed MKIV, aesthetically dodgy and functionally impaired. I'll take my pills later, no worries.....

Other comments about hacksaws and cable ties also noted...!

Comments?

Edited by Rob Dublin
Added pics (see edit history)

Edited, misread! : My money is on the front and rear springs fitted the wrong way round.

What are the wheel specs (width and offset), i'll work out the overall diameter which should indicate if something is off. They do look a little too wide or wrong offset though....

Edited, misread! : My money is on the front and rear springs fitted the wrong way round.

What are the wheel specs (width and offset), i'll work out the overall diameter which should indicate if something is off. They do look a little too side or wrong offset though....

Won't be that bud. I've seen pics of a car with the springs on the wrong way, the front ends up on its nose and the back end goes up about 5" lol.

It might just be the pics but the drivers side looks higher than the passengers.

Won't be that bud. I've seen pics of a car with the springs on the wrong way, the front ends up on its nose and the back end goes up about 5" lol.

It might just be the pics but the drivers side looks higher than the passengers.

It's an NA so will sit very different to a TT if the springs are on wrong.

It doesn't look too far off stock setting if the wheels are wrong sized, but will wait for Rob to confirm offset and wheel width before going further.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Anything obvious to check if this is the case (optomistic thoughts of arrows on the spring!)

Only measured one side, will check tmw if one side is higher than the other.

What are the wheel specs (width and offset), i'll work out the overall diameter which should indicate if something is off. They do look a little too wide or wrong offset though....

19x10 and 19x8. Can't remember the offsets at the minute (most likely due to beer) but will check in the morning. Will PM you then if that's ok. Cheers fella.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Anything obvious to check if this is the case (optomistic thoughts of arrows on the spring!)

Only measured one side, will check tmw if one side is higher than the other.

19x10 and 19x8. Can't remember the offsets at the minute (most likely due to beer) but will check in the morning. Will PM you then if that's ok. Cheers fella.

Do you know the tyre sizes? Profile and width?

It's an NA so will sit very different to a TT if the springs are on wrong.

It doesn't look too far off stock setting if the wheels are wrong sized, but will wait for Rob to confirm offset and wheel width before going further.

Ahh didn't realise that :thumbs:

Okay mate, get the offsets posted here and you'll get a response far quicker than a PM to me :D (unless you can wait at least 20 hours ;) )

It's easy enough to calculate, but I don't think it looks too far off considering it's stock springs and an NA. Any idea on the dampers? (not that it should matter, but good info to have anyway)

Any idea on the dampers? (not that it should matter, but good info to have anyway)

Gas-adjust replacements, were fitted 18 monts ago (about 200 miles) Will pull the wheel off tmrw and see if I can get a product code to make sure they're the correct ones. Mechanic mate of mine di the swap and he does know his stuff so don't suspect that's the problem.

Edited by Rob Dublin
additional info (see edit history)

Gas-adjust replacements, were fitted 18 monts ago (about 200 miles)

Are the pics in your garage after they were replaced? Was everything fine before the wheel change?

When i put 18's on my vectra it made it look like a 4x4.

Damn laptop picks it's time well to fall over. Grrrrrr.

Ahah, which model? Are the platforms (seats) adjustable?

As far as I can remember Gas-adjust do 2 types, adjustable and non, I think I have the non. Will double check tmrw.

Are the pics in your garage after they were replaced? Was everything fine before the wheel change?

Garage pics are before. Now that you mention it, it did sit a bit higher after replacing the shocks. All 4 were done.

Just looking at the previous pics and those you posted, the height of the hub is not all that different (though there is a small difference visible, but the car is not parked level on any pics). So either the suspension changed between those pics or the new wheels are the wrong size..