The mkiv Supra Owners Club

P13sst?

Guest P13SST

Guest P13SST

Hi guys. First of all as you may have guessed my tag is my reg which i bought for a laugh (Pisst, Pest, Pies).

Planing on buying my self a prime example of a mkiv supra TT with in the next little while, but to be honest aint all that clued up on them as I drive a french heap of sh*te just now. :blink:

I was wondering if any of you guys new of good threads that summarised the common faults to look out for so i don't end up with a dog :)

So far I've heard stuff like go for imports for the better paint condition, get a automatic (stronger gear box).

Any help would be appreciated.

P13SSt

Some guides that cover the basics can be found here:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=60

Some of the terms commonly used (BPU is especially useful if you're planning on modifying it in the future):

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=65

The "What to look for guide" in the first link will cover most of the things to look out for when buying.

When you say imports have better paint condition, it depends on the car. Some Jap cars I've seen have appalling paint condition, and I've seen some UK cars with immaculate paintwork.

The auto is a fantastic box (I'd promised myself I'd never buy an auto car yet I got an auto Supra...), but if by "stronger" you mean "will take more power", the 6-speed manual wins hands down, and by a big margin. If you mean "more relaxing to drive in traffic / around town", the auto FTW :D

The UK cars generally have cheaper insurance, more miles (not that you can guarantee the apparently low mileage of an import without paperwork!), but often have more history.

HTH, and welcome to the club :)

Guest P13SST
Some guides that cover the basics can be found here:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=60

Some of the terms commonly used (BPU is especially useful if you're planning on modifying it in the future):

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=65

The "What to look for guide" in the first link will cover most of the things to look out for when buying.

When you say imports have better paint condition, it depends on the car. Some Jap cars I've seen have appalling paint condition, and I've seen some UK cars with immaculate paintwork.

The auto is a fantastic box (I'd promised myself I'd never buy an auto car yet I got an auto Supra...), but if by "stronger" you mean "will take more power", the 6-speed manual wins hands down, and by a big margin. If you mean "more relaxing to drive in traffic / around town", the auto FTW :D

The UK cars generally have cheaper insurance, more miles (not that you can guarantee the apparently low mileage of an import without paperwork!), but often have more history.

HTH, and welcome to the club :)

Hey,

Thanks for the links.

Well TBH the supra wasn't my first choice since I have a 95 mile round trip to uni each day and have 0 years NCB, but since i graduate in just over two months and have a job lined up 3 miles from my house i can afford the running costs and the surprisingly low £699 I got quoted for the TT Aero (for a 21 year old) which has changed my mind from the BMW 330D (mapped).

The plan will to keep it 'standard' for at least 6months to give me some experience in a higher performance RWD car compared with my current car which has a chavtastic 105bhp.

Hey,

Thanks for the links.

Well TBH the supra wasn't my first choice since I have a 95 mile round trip to uni each day and have 0 years NCB, but since i graduate in just over two months and have a job lined up 3 miles from my house i can afford the running costs and the surprisingly low £699 I got quoted for the TT Aero (for a 21 year old) which has changed my mind from the BMW 330D (mapped).

The plan will to keep it 'standard' for at least 6months to give me some experience in a higher performance RWD car compared with my current car which has a chavtastic 105bhp.

Makes a refreshing change to hear someone get some experience before it ends up messy. A word of warning though a Stock TT can still be a bit of a handfull.

That does appear low for a TT with 0 NCB, who was that with the chances are you have been quoted on a UK car and J-Specs cost considerably more

Hey,

Thanks for the links.

£669? Fully comp or TPFT? If that's FC, that's very low for your age. I'd double check that they haven't mistakenly quoted for a UK spec car - one of the larger names who are "experts" in the import car insurance world have misquoted me before now. I'm paying just less than that in a reasonabe area (insurance-wise), and I'm 26, 7 years NCB, and my Supra's a UK car.

There'll probably be a few who might say aim for something with less power to get used to RWD, then step up to a TT Supra. If you do go for one, you just need to respect it or it will bite back. I went from a 70bhp eurobox to my TT Supra and I know a few others on here have made similar moves.

Also, if you get a Supra, I'd recommend you get a bike too. I'd be against using it for a 3 mile commute ;)

Guest P13SST
Makes a refreshing change to hear someone get some experience before it ends up messy. A word of warning though a Stock TT can still be a bit of a handfull.

That does appear low for a TT with 0 NCB, who was that with the chances are you have been quoted on a UK car and J-Specs cost considerably more

It was a UK model with admiral - £600 excess and 4 years claim free driving as a named driver. Locked up at night, 10,000 a year, 7k value, 0 points or convictions and a low stress job...

Lol, I learned the hard way being a over keen driver - first car was a Fiesta RS1600 with T'bo conversion at 18psi + front mounted intercooler with no ABS. Needless to say I wrote it off in 2 months after losing control at over 100mph...

Guest P13SST
£669? Fully comp or TPFT? If that's FC, that's very low for your age. I'd double check that they haven't mistakenly quoted for a UK spec car - one of the larger names who are "experts" in the import car insurance world have misquoted me before now. I'm paying just less than that in a reasonabe area (insurance-wise), and I'm 26, 7 years NCB, and my Supra's a UK car.

There'll probably be a few who might say aim for something with less power to get used to RWD, then step up to a TT Supra. If you do go for one, you just need to respect it or it will bite back. I went from a 70bhp eurobox to my TT Supra and I know a few others on here have made similar moves.

Also, if you get a Supra, I'd recommend you get a bike too. I'd be against using it for a 3 mile commute ;)

Fully comp. They phoned me up asking if i was interested in it after using confused.com to get the quote, they went over the details policy etc - even included a courtesy car should the worst happen. I'm not new to fast cars, had a shot of an uncles 911 Turbo a few times and my GFs 197 clio cup. And I've actually applied for my CBT to get a little 125cc motorbike - if you are talking about a pushbike then no chance its one big steep hill haha

It was a UK model with admiral - £600 excess and 4 years claim free driving as a named driver. Locked up at night, 10,000 a year, 7k value, 0 points or convictions and a low stress job...

Lol, I learned the hard way being a over keen driver - first car was a Fiesta RS1600 with T'bo conversion at 18psi + front mounted intercooler with no ABS. Needless to say I wrote it off in 2 months after losing control at over 100mph...

I know what you mean my first supra went the same way 11 years ago :(

Hmm to conclude

Confused.com = fail

Me = noob

We have all fallen into the same pitholes at one time or another buddy. Thats the reason the guys are saying to double check the quote. The insurance companies really do get it wrong more often than not :)

Planing on buying my self a prime example of a mkiv supra TT with in the next little while, but to be honest aint all that clued up on them as I drive a french heap of sh*te just now. :blink:

Welcome :)

Btw I had a 1989 Renault 21 Monaco - it was probably the most comfortable piece of sh!te I've ever driven :D

Guest P13SST
We have all fallen into the same pitholes at one time or another buddy. Thats the reason the guys are saying to double check the quote. The insurance companies really do get it wrong more often than not :)

I'm willing to pay up to 1k on insurance, which seems to cover be all but group 20 cars, the only problem i think i will have is finding an unmodified supra or 'lightly' modified. But I've noticed job title makes a big change to premiums, for instance when i was a student (classed as high risk drivers), even group 16 was out my league with quotes in the thousands. I really don't know what goes on inside the heads of the actuaries that work for insurance companies...