The mkiv Supra Owners Club

any info on mkiv non turbo manual supra??pls.

Guest infin1tty

Guest infin1tty

hey guys..

Im new to the supra community and would love to find a nice clean unabused toyota supra non turbo 5speed 3L, manual ...white color..

I ve just been wonderin if anyone could possibly help with any info, personal experience..

all I know is that they have 225bhp standard, and 220 ft/pounds of torque..

and weigh round 1460kg..

some say they are heavy or a bit slower.. well, all I had was just my civic coupe 130bhp, sohc vtec, 1200kg.. and that was ok drive around car.. just thought I d go for either 200sx s14a.. or supra..for the looks

I have no money for TT supra or nissan skyline /also due to the insurance cost/ so thats why my only chance from the sick looking japanese cars atm is nontubo supra really..

just thought I could get some kind of numbers here or maybe comparison with lets say integra type R /197bhp. / or 200sx s14 /212bhp/ ...I believe that manual supra should be able to keep up with them right?

thanks alot for any info.. or places to look for a nice inexpensive sample

my mate had a dc2 itr and to be honest even with my double decat and a nice manifold he still pulled on me a wee bit but he was never happy with the power as it didn't fell as fast as the supra. Hes now got a 200sx with about 250 brake which i think will destroy my n/a but ill keep that to myself for as long as i can.

Ths supra is the most expensive with insurance of the lot of them, it makes no difference if its an n/a or a tt they cost about the same to insure.

Hope this helps

my mate had a dc2 itr and to be honest even with my double decat and a nice manifold he still pulled on me a wee bit but he was never happy with the power as it didn't fell as fast as the supra. Hes now got a 200sx with about 250 brake which i think will destroy my n/a but ill keep that to myself for as long as i can.

Ths supra is the most expensive with insurance of the lot of them, it makes no difference if its an n/a or a tt they cost about the same to insure.

Hope this helps

No they dont mate!!! Insurance on an N/A is alot less than an import TT unless you are talking a UK spec car in which case the UK TT is cheaper than an import N/A

If im wrong please tell me who your insurance is with

Guest SupraTroopa

quotes for me with norwich union were £60 cheaper for an N/A over a J-spec TT if that helps. Not much difference at all I found.

Guest infin1tty

thanks for the help guys, I thought Id ask another question concerning fuel consumption..

as I heard its a bit rough... so wanna be prepared..

for manual 5speed non turbo..mkiv... I heard that with a light foot and a smoot motorway driving you can get even nice results as 35mpg... is that possible???

heard the top mpg is 24...

wanna do some summer europe travelling ...so need to know..

what sort of rpm you got in 5th.. when doin like 70-80-90 on the motorway.. asking as Im gonna do passes through germany.. just wonderin if you still got sensible fuel consumption and rpm round 3k when doin 90 .. how about 100mph?? anyone any ideas on that?

thanks a lot...

MPG all depends how you drive it. For most on here, 20-24 mpg is normal for a mix of urban and highway on an NA, 18-22mpg on a TT. To get 26+ mpg you have to drive like miss daisy, it's a very boring thing to try (done that :D )

You will not be doing 3k rpm at 90 mph on an NA 5spd. They have a far higher ratio diff so RPM's are higher for in-gear speeds. The TT 6spd will deliver the best mpg for higher speed cruising.

MPG all depends how you drive it. For most on here, 20-24 mpg is normal for a mix of urban and highway on an NA, 18-22mpg on a TT. To get 26+ mpg you have to drive like miss daisy, it's a very boring thing to try (done that :D )

You will not be doing 3k rpm at 90 mph on an NA 5spd. They have a far higher ratio diff so RPM's are higher for in-gear speeds. The TT 6spd will deliver the best mpg for higher speed cruising.

Apologies for going off topic. My 6 speed gets a little bored after cruising for in 6th after about 45 mins. It starts to judder slightly, then if I knock it down a cog and bring the turbo on boost it will happily cruise again strange :D

Just to add I find my single to be better on fuel than TT was when cruising

Apologies for going off topic. My 6 speed gets a little bored after cruising for in 6th after about 45 mins. It starts to judder slightly, then if I knock it down a cog and bring the turbo on boost it will happily cruise again strange :D

It's broke. Nothing to worry about, you have another :p

Just to add I find my single to be better on fuel than TT was when cruising

Yep, singles are the best on mpg for sure. Not that you ever cruise in one :D All that power is meant to be used :innocent:

Guest infin1tty

that sounds a bit discouraging to me... oh mine, I was plannin to do a europe cruise trip on that supra.. but it would cost fortune.. almost double what my civic coupe is eatin ..

70miles - 10 L of petrol...

I expected it to be more.. well, how about the rpm figures on the 5 speed n/a...

as with my civic I got 3krpm when doing 70mph on the motorway.. I hoped that supra could do more with 3krpm../80-90/..

and the speed figures the same as prelude,itr or 200sx..

still if I found a nice clean white one Id go for it..

btw. how does the auto supra work in manual mode?

I went from a UK Supra TT to an S14a.

The S14a handles a lot better, cheaper to insure than a TT, more practicle, better on fuel, avg 30-34mpg (my S14a is running a claimed 300BHP) and cheap to increase performance (exspensive on stock Nissan parts though). They look great too although not as nice as the Supra.

all in my opinion.

I went from a UK Supra TT to an S14a.

The S14a handles a lot better, cheaper to insure than a TT, more practicle, better on fuel, avg 30-34mpg (my S14a is running a claimed 300BHP) and cheap to increase performance (exspensive on stock Nissan parts though). They look great too although not as nice as the Supra.

all in my opinion.

Thats odd, i did the opposit and would say that the Supra has given me far more confidence in the handling department,

but i guess that raises the question,

was my S14 badly set up, or was your Supra, or is it down to the way we drive and perceive the cars.

However i agree with the rest of your comment:)

On a run up and down the M6 my 5sp N/A done 28Mpg at every day motorway speeds but around town/fun drives it can range anywhere from 17-22 ish.

I've not had the car long but it does seem to make a BIG difference on how you drive it, i know that sounds obvious but hopefully you know what i mean.

Thats odd, i did the opposit and would say that the Supra has given me far more confidence in the handling department,

but i guess that raises the question,

was my S14 badly set up, or was your Supra, or is it down to the way we drive and perceive the cars.

However i agree with the rest of your comment:)

My first Supra was a well documented Banana lol, so zero confidence (used to drive with white knuckles). My second was a UK spec and had total confidence in it, felt totally planted etc etc, I just feel the S14a suits me better in regards to grip and handling, especially in the wet.

So I would probably put it down to preference, rather than badly set up cars. :thumbs:

Guest infin1tty

AMAZING thanks guys.. really do appreciate your comments , as I am truly undecided what I might get after selling my civic coupe,.. /130ishbhp/ and wanted to climbed to around 200bhp rwd/supra, r33gtst,s14a,rx7/, or fwd/itr, prelude/

as I know honda, and luved every bit of it,.. I am a big fan of reliable vtec engines..

though, I love drifting/watchin it/ would love to try it aswell, and maybe take the car out of UK for a summer vacation across Europe to the seasides, meet friends, my family,..

I know that Skyline has crossed border of Slovakia/Czechoslovakia/ like once in a blue moon, there is one or maybe two supras in the whole country and no s14a..

meaning, It would feel exotic to drive those cars once you leave Germany behind..

/as continental europe has far less chances to lay hand on modded jap..imports than UK/

well, frankly my budget would be 2k-3k.. which means I could perhaps get an automatic supra, or r33 gtst... looks great, just would swallow me on the petrol costs.. and skyline insurance would be double or triple of supra/800 vs. 1k-2+k/

then there is my heartbreaking s14a..which I fell in love at the first sight, as well as with supra and r33 lol, but

s14a.. is cheaper on insurance, perhaps tax and surely fuel economy is better,

Overall, I am not looking for a good track toy, or looking for amazing power, just for a nice looking jap rwd, affordable, good handling, decent power, maybe minor upgrades, and fun to sit in and drive for long time on the motorway, across Europe or around the block, cruising at night..

If you like drifting then get an S14a, if your budget is £2-£3k then 100% get an S14a. The prices that they sell for with basic mods is well within your budget, you might have change too, and did I mention it woudl also be manual too for that budget.

They are also sprintier than N/A's, with basic mods they are miles quicker than an N/A.

Go into the stage side of things (1, 1a,) then you will be able to keep up with TT's. Go to stage 3a then you have a very fast car that will trouble a BPU supra (to a certain point).

However if looks is what you want then I would buy a Supra but save a little more and get a manual.

Edited by jamesmark (see edit history)

I went from an NA supra to my R33 gtst and I have to say the skyline beats it hands down.... I love the look of the supra and it is a great motorway cruiser but It was very disappointing around town... a little too sedate. The skyline on the other hand returns better mpg when cruising and scares the crap out of me around town! :D

insurance is around the same for me and it just puts a bigger smile on my face than the supra did.

oh and buy my skyline.... :D

Guest infin1tty

yeah, well, suprisingly as I did research they showed that r33gtst gives poorer mpg than na supra..?

well, the highest na supra mpg was 28 I seen here..and that was steady motorway driving..

what can gtst do??

thanks to all for your comments