The mkiv Supra Owners Club

3800 high stall help

L33

hey guys

i know this is ment for the wanted section but ive had no luck and thought this section gets more views.

i really need a 3800 high stall converter for a boost logic gear box.

my car is in having a single conversion as a few of you know.

i bought a BL box with converter from a member on here, but the garage did not recieve both. the member does not know who the courier was who he sent the items with or have any emails to check so i dont know if the items were sent or lost in transport. this is the last thing i need to complete my conversion so im really needing to find one.

if any one on here could help i would really appreciate it! tried google searches but no luck.

cheers

just looked on there site and they have either a 3200 or a 4000! im running a gt4088 so a 4k one is a little high not sure if the 3200 is a little low as thats for small singles

For day to day driving a 3200 will make for a very drivable car however if you are into drag racing then I would go with the 4000 tbh! Although I would be a little worried about putting large HP through a BL box TBH! Well after breaking 3!

well i very much doubt i will be draggin it at all but its nice to know i have the right kit if i do take it to pod :) 4 is way to high, 3800 was ment to be ok for my gt4088 turbo and i thought 3200 is a bit low? is it that noticable when your driving? thought it only comes into play when u have your foot on the brake?

well i very much doubt i will be draggin it at all but its nice to know i have the right kit if i do take it to pod :) 4 is way to high, 3800 was ment to be ok for my gt4088 turbo and i thought 3200 is a bit low? is it that noticable when your driving? thought it only comes into play when u have your foot on the brake?

any one?

mayb soome one who has a gt4088 with a boost logic box can tell me if there is any?

Sorry for the delay lee been a bit busy :)

Basically with a hi stall you need more engine rev's to get the car moving. With stock it will pull away on idle 800-1000 rpm. With a high stall you need to apply more revs from stand still with mine I think it starts pulling away from 1600rpm. The greater the stall the more you're going to have to rev it to get it going. So from a day to day basis 3200 is a good stall because its not that different from stock i.e. you're not having to rev the a&se of it to get it moving.

Also with a hi stall it *like* slips the clutch so the revs build up quicker and that is what stops the lag.

From memory I drove a T71 with a 4000 stall in it years ago and it felt like I had to rev it to 2400rpm before it would start to move. Which TBH on a day to day basis would have got on my nerves.

Also with High stalls you can trans brake to allow you to build the revs up when launching. Also when I'm on the cruise say about 50mph doing about 2200rpm ish and apply WOT the stall builds the revs up to around 3000ish instantly then climbs quickly from their. With my PHR stage 1 it is suppose to be in between a t61-t67 and I find no problems at all with lag or day to day. I think mainly this is because its hitting full boost by low 3000rpm.

With the gt4088 being a tad bigger then you may well be better waiting and getting a 3800.

A good person to speak to might be TDR as im sure he was running a 4000stall in his which was on stock twins.

Unfortunately IMO after 3200-3800 it starts to become a trade off between fast launches and lag vs day to day driving.

I had a 3800 on my other supra and apart from on the drag strip it was bloody awfull for day to day commuting, like driving a manual with a slipping clutch. After driving it like that for over a year I have now gone back to stock convertor and its great. However thats not just my opinion for what its worth.

Cheers Dave.

thanks for the good and detailed reply! many thanks

i have been doing a gd hours worth of reading on the subject and i think the 3800 is the way to go.

i bought a oil cooler and i think it was a 25 row. say think as it was ordered a while back and sent straight to the garage. now found people have mentioned fitting a fan to that so it doesnt cook at traffic lights? will be getting a oil temp gauge to keep a eye out any way!

its not going to be a drag car but its good to have it there. it will be used a couple evenings and weekends. not to work and back, just a toy so practicality isnt that big a issue.

there is so much to think about its amazing.

i was thinking about manual but the costs are a bit to great at the moment after having all the work ive had done. i have already spent near on 12k on this conversion! considering this BL box and converter will come to about 2k its cheaper than a manual box and i dont have to change things inside, and then i will prove auto is better than manual on the strip ;) ha ha

i do have quite a nice kit list tho :)

parts are as followes....

GT4088 single turbo

boost logic auto drag box

hks 264 cams

greddy emanage ultimate euc

wiseco forged pistons

sard 800cc fuel injectors

LSD

hks fuel cut defencer

hks ssqv

moddified fuel rail for twin feed

2x walbro fuel pumps

gear box rad

hks advanced timing pullys

gates racing cam belt

new toyota oil pump

new toyota water pump

all new engine bearings

all new engine gaskets

ARP head stud kit

polished rad pipe

polished intake manifold

3 core front mount intercooler

44mm tial waste gate

aeromotive fuel pressure regulator

blitz boost controller

custom intercooler pipes

custon down pipe

custom mid pipe

screamer pipe

aem air to fuel ratio gauge

Edited by L33 (see edit history)

I had a 3800 on my other supra and apart from on the drag strip it was bloody awfull for day to day commuting, like driving a manual with a slipping clutch. After driving it like that for over a year I have now gone back to stock convertor and its great. However thats not just my opinion for what its worth.

Cheers Dave.

does it pull at all or?

just the bit im confused about

or it just sound like its slipping because you have to rev so much. like if your stuck in traffic do you have to rev to almost 3800 to move or?