The mkiv Supra Owners Club

auto - manual help

LiamB1434

i know this has been covered 6million times before but please help as i cant find everything i'm asking :)

theres a place up my way do auto - manual conversions

i asked if i supply the parts how much, he said its not the usual type of car they do but £450

is there anything he can mess up or is this just the same as any other auto to manual conv?

i'm looking to get the twin turbo at the end of the year - start of next, what sort of power can the 5 speed box handle?

is this conversion worthwhile or will i just start breaking more parts than if i kept it auto?

if the above is ok, should i buy a crash damaged tt rather than try and get parts bit at a time?

i understand its easier to buy a twin turbo but i simply cant afford it and need to do things bit at a time.

cheers :)

Personally I would save your money as it is appx £2-£2.5k for parts on a 6sp conversion, then an additional £1-£2k for a TT conversion.

So that is at the most £4.5k on parts alone.

I would sell the N/A, as the route you are going and potential spending it will be cheaper to buy a J-Spec TT6 especially in this kinda financial market.

In my opinion ofcourse.

EDIT: re read, you are going for a 5sp. As Homer said then below. :D

Edited by jamesmark (see edit history)

You can do it for £450 DIY, I can't imagine a trader doing it for that sort of price though.

You'll need (prices just an approximation on 2nd hand scrap parts, they do vary a lot):

- 5spd box, clutch & flywheel (£250)

- Prop (£50)

- pedal assembly (clutch and brake pedal) and clutch master cylinder (£50)

- manual centre console panel (£30)

- trans tunnel plate (£70)

- clutch lines and slave cylinder (£10)

The trans tunnel auto panel needs to be cut out and the mnaual one bolted/bonded or welded in. It's tricky to do this correctly.

I did mine for about £250 but got lucky with the parts. However you can see how it'd be difficult for a trader to do the conversion for the same price, it'd be about 8-10 hours work I'd imagine.

the guy on here wants 2600 for a twin turbo conv on mine, thats not to much of a prob cost wise

a m8 with a garage is willing to do the twin turbo conv for me, what i'm thinkin is i know the guy who owns the breakers yard here,he could get me a crashed twin turbo(not sure on price, m3 evo £2500) if i get a manual off him, then i can get it done bit at a time.

the bit i was worried about was the cost i was quoted for the manual conversion, thats part of there buisness that they do, its not a huge company but they seem able, thats why i wanted to know if there capable of doing manual conversions is there anyway they can screw mine up.

i could obviously go and see the work they have done before but apart from seeing a gear shift and a clutch how do i know if its a good job

theres a place up my way do auto - manual conversions

i asked if i supply the parts how much, he said its not the usual type of car they do but £450)

You can do it for £450 DIY, I can't imagine a trader doing it for that sort of price though.

You'll need (prices just an approximation on 2nd hand scrap parts, they do vary a lot):

- 5spd box, clutch & flywheel (£250)

- Prop (£50)

- pedal assembly (clutch and brake pedal) and clutch master cylinder (£50)

- manual centre console panel (£30)

- trans tunnel plate (£70)

- clutch lines and slave cylinder (£10)

The trans tunnel auto panel needs to be cut out and the mnaual one bolted/bonded or welded in. It's tricky to do this correctly.

I did mine for about £250 but got lucky with the parts. However you can see how it'd be difficult for a trader to do the conversion for the same price, it'd be about 8-10 hours work I'd imagine.

He's talking about £450 just for the labour though isn't he? Would that be about right for 8-10 hours work?

any idea what sort of price a crashed 93 tt would go for? roughly

For a 6spd TT it's not for off a non-crashed one. They can and do go for over £5k salvage.

He's talking about £450 just for the labour though isn't he? Would that be about right for 8-10 hours work?

Ah yes, missed that bit, but that'd mean near a £1k cost. It's not cost effective if the car is going to TT BPU as the 5spd setup isn't going to last at that power level, especially the clutch. Factor that in and it's with labour and it's now £1.5k and getting towards the price of a proper 6spd conversion.

If youre going to do it do it right,i have been humming and hawing over the decision to do it on the cheap for a year now.

I have decided to get the proper conversions done by the people that know what there doing.It will save time time,money and hassle in the long run