The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Abflug S900 bodykit rear bumper & diffuser change

Guest Narmak

Guest Narmak

Hey guys, i was just wondering if it was possible to change the rear bumper style the original kit has, i love the front, sides & bonnet on the S900 kit but completely loathe the rear bumper & diffuser style

Is there any way to change the back bumper style to say something like this where you have almost a stock rear bumper look with that kit & then be able to put a custom spoiler on

http://garagewhifbitz.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&category_id=1993&product_id=8467&Itemid=53&vmcchk=1&Itemid=53

I like the diffuser there but would not use the curled side bits

Any thoughts on if this would be possible & what sort of costs i would be looking at because i know the S900 is a widebody kit & the rear bumper may have to be a custom build like the spoiler i have in mind

S900 kit isn't to everybody's taste so please don't post any comments about how horrible you think it looks :p

I just need advice on the above, i love extreme styling & this is as extreme as i seen for a supra kit but like i said, think the back is just hideous & would change that & keep the other bits same

Also, would Knight Racer be able to undertake such a project & make sure a proper moulded fit is achieved for this kit

I definitely want a unique supra & per my New Members post, i did say it wouldn't be to supra purists delight :p

I just wanna stand out :eyebrows:

PS Can somebody photshop a possible look it will have with the above style rear bumper & diffusers

Thanx in advance

Edited by Narmak (see edit history)

Off the top of my head I would say you'd be looking at around £1000 for the mold and a GRP composite. If you want to go for a kevlar/carbon or carbon composite expect to pay higher.

Also, would Knight Racer be able to undertake such a project & make sure a proper moulded fit is achieved for this kit

You'd have to ask them directly.

Guest Narmak
Personally I would opt for the Abflug Zefi:r kit rather than the S900 and the diffuser with that kit is similar to the Shine one anyway plus the kit is cheaper than the S900 too

You could just modify the rear too look how you want, ie smooth in the openings. What do you not like about it?

I like the Zefir kit but still has the same sorta problem at back

lucas, i don't like how the back lines going into the rear bumper to put it at that angle & in particular the raised lip on the boot, i would prefer the side of the kit flowing into a stock look with a diffuser at the bottom & then be able to put up a custom spoiler because with the original kit design of the Zefir & S900 kits i don't think it would look good

I should point out that the kit i saw is the Conclusion copy which is for £3k without diffuser included so am wondering if it was possible to get a stock look bumper to match with the kit as it is widebody

Guest Narmak
Just looking at some development photos from the old Abflug site and the rear bumper appears to be standard width and just restyled so another bumper should fit. Look at the pictures and see if you agree. The last shot(in Orange) is a Curve modified Zefi:r what do you think about that?

I like the last one in orange but it's mainly that upward angled lip on the end of the boot i would remove, the bumper seems to stick out a bit too but i'm sure that from a different angle it's fine

I think removing boot lip should sort things or help greatly to my desired look to match a custom spoiler then on back

Any idea how much Zefir kit costs or at least a good replica, the S900 conclusion copy i think is by extreme dimensions & in duraflex which seems to be more flexible than the fibreglass versions & less likely to crack on small bumps from what i gathered by their promotion video but did take it with a pinch of salt but it states JDM inspired on the Speed Culture website

replies are really informative thus far & would like to thank you all & especially Tee for providing those pictures

:respekt:

I like the last one in orange but it's mainly that upward angled lip on the end of the boot i would remove, the bumper seems to stick out a bit too but i'm sure that from a different angle it's fine

I think removing boot lip should sort things or help greatly to my desired look to match a custom spoiler then on back

Any idea how much Zefir kit costs or at least a good replica, the S900 conclusion copy i think is by extreme dimensions & in duraflex which seems to be more flexible than the fibreglass versions & less likely to crack on small bumps from what i gathered by their promotion video but did take it with a pinch of salt but it states JDM inspired on the Speed Culture website

replies are really informative thus far & would like to thank you all & especially Tee for providing those pictures

:respekt:

My pleasure. AFAIK nobody is making copies of the Zefi:r only the S900 Conclusion from Extreme or ImportFan. Envy have the genuine kit listed at just over 5K but ask Nic if he can get a better price of that. I prefer the Zefi:r over the S900 as the front bumper doesn't mask part of the headlamps and the rear is not so wide. Take a look at Curve Designs models where they have mixed the Zefi:r and S900 together and the Zefi:r with a Veilside tailgate take a look here:

http://www.curve-ad.com/complete/gallery.html

or here:

http://www.jdm-option.com/eng/pickup/06_11/abflug.html

hope you have plenty of money to throw away if you are considering putting a WB kit on a supra, as well as the wide kit costs, and the paint, and the fitting (which is a bloody nightmare with rear quarters), dont forget wide wheels to fit the arches (£3K new and difficult to find second hand as not much short of a lambo uses wheels wide enough), then new suspention for the wheels, oh and the tyres, nearly a grand for a full set.

i have spent well over £15K getting the fit and colour of my WB right, with the wheels etc. but i have been unlucky, dont be surprised if its £10K on top of what you pay for the base supra though.

you'll end up with a fast reliable unique car dont get me wrong, but its worth knowing what youre getting into before you get going.

hope you have plenty of money to throw away if you are considering putting a WB kit on a supra, as well as the wide kit costs, and the paint, and the fitting (which is a bloody nightmare with rear quarters), dont forget wide wheels to fit the arches (£3K new and difficult to find second hand as not much short of a lambo uses wheels wide enough), then new suspention for the wheels, oh and the tyres, nearly a grand for a full set.

i have spent well over £15K getting the fit and colour of my WB right, with the wheels etc. but i have been unlucky, dont be surprised if its £10K on top of what you pay for the base supra though.

you'll end up with a fast reliable unique car dont get me wrong, but its worth knowing what youre getting into before you get going.

agreed, tyres are always a lovely shock when buying them lol

Also ive been lucky and havent suffered from slipage of the bodykit at all, however little cracks have appeared, but nothing major and not in join places.

If its right first time you should be happy. The kit on mine, has taken 3 times to get to the level its at and id say if someone wanted it perfect it could do with one more sandback and final small cracks fixed.

Also i took at look at the s900 bumper on my car, i dont think there is much you could do with it to make it work with the kit. ive got image of mine with diffuser on (found them to give you idea, pics 2 yrs old as had it resprayed a lighter colour)

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/9544/dsc06803hs3.jpg

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/5967/dsc06804vb6.jpg

Edited by Whitesupraboy2 (see edit history)

Guest Narmak

Thanks for all the comments & warning about the cost of wheels etc

But the zefir kit seems to be not as wide as the S900 & fits much more closely to a standard type of body by the look of it so will that mean i can get away with not having to go for those type of wheels you guys say & sorta avoid the 3k cost

I guess this is going to sound stupid & i may lose credibility but i can only say the design i kinda figured resembles what design i am trying to go for but still looks ugly from the back. Set game design bumper but i would have something more stock type look with a diffuser but gives an idea of how i want it is on Need for Speed: Carbon

Now, it had the Zefir type side design & at the back it followed more closely to a stock type boot look, e.g. none of that extended lip on the top of boot

I guess you may think taking design looks from a game is stupid but it gave refrence to a idea of how i would like it to be albeit still needing change

Here is a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8DX3RWixR0

As you can see, it has the Zefir type side & then see how it merges to the back bumper to almost keep a stock line, would it be possible to make it similar to that

Hope i haven't lost credibility, just wanna know if this is possible & that's best way to show what i mean

Edited by Narmak (see edit history)

TRD kit is only a couple of inches wider, you still need the wider wheels or it looks silly.

if youre serious i would wait for a supra simmilar to the one your after (i.e. with kit) to become available here or in japan and buy that,

its M-U-C-H-!-!-! cheaper to buy the kit on the car, than put it on yourself, and if its on the car you can see how its been fitted and be a little more confident youre not going to need 3 attempts. mine has had 4 attempts at the kit to get it right involving 3 garages, 3 re sprays and 4 colours. it gives the neighbours plenty to talk about but isnt good for the bank balance!

i hear what youre saying about changing the rear, i would just buy one kitted with normal kit and just change rear rather than buying a supra and attempting to source the whole kit and fit it and get everything right. if you can afford it, someone will change it for you, and you'll still be a lot richer than starting from scratch.

If i could go back 5 years and offer myself the above advice i would sit on and punch 'past me' until he accepted the advice, it'd be a lot less painful in the long run.