The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Has anyone got any experience of buying UK brakes from Toyota?

Andy Blyth

Hi Guys

I'm about to go any place an order for a full set of UK brakes. Unfortunately I can't find any information regarding what you get when you order a set of calipers. (Not being able to search for "UK brake" doesn't help!) I have put together a small shopping list of what I think I need to buy. Could some kind soul with the experience tell me if I've duplicated anything? E.g. if the calipers already come with the retaining pins etc.

Front

1X 47730-14260 CYLINDER ASSY, FRONT DISC BRAKE, RH

1X 47750-14270 CYLINDER ASSY, DISC BRAKE, LH

1X 43512-14200 DISC, FRONT

1X 43516-14030 DISC, FRONT

4X 90240-06019 PIN, W/HOLE (FOR FRONT DISC BRAKE ANTIRATTLE)

2X 31478-14010 CAP, BLEEDER PLUG (FOR FRONT DISC BRAKE)

4X 90105-12175 BOLT, HEXAGON (FOR FRONT DISC BRAKE CALIPER)

2X 47748-14080 SPRING, ANTI-RATTLE, NO.1 (FOR FRONT DISC BRAKE)

2X 90468-12021 CLIP (FOR FRONT DISC BRAKE ANTIRATTLE)

1X 04945-14110 SHIM KIT, ANTI SQUEAL, FRONT

1X 04947-14010 FITTING KIT, DISC BRAKE, FRONT

4X 47389-24010 GASKET

Rear

1X 47730-14270 CYLINDER ASSY, REAR DISC BRAKE, RH

1X 47750-14280 CYLINDER ASSY, DISC BRAKE, REAR LH

2X 42431-14150 DISC, REAR

4X 90105-12174 BOLT, HEXAGON (FOR REAR CALIPER)

4X 90240-06017 PIN, W/HOLE (FOR REAR DISC BRAKE)

2X 47748-14090 SPRING, ANTI-RATTLE, NO.1 (FOR REAR DISC BRAKE)

2X 90468-12020 CLIP (FOR REAR DISC BRAKE)

2X 31478-14010 CAP, BLEEDER PLUG (FOR REAR DISC BRAKE)

1X 04946-14030 SHIM KIT, ANTI SQUEAL (FOR REAR DISC BRAKE)

1X 04948-14010 FITTING KIT, DISC BRAKE, REAR

4X 47389-24010 GASKET

I've not included pads, as I plan to buy aftermarket pads.

Cheers

Andy

Edited by Andy Blyth
Updated to cross out unnecessary parts (see edit history)

Best to call Steve Manley for verificaion on those as he's supplied a load of kits and know what's needed. Either that or Nic who should be able to undercut the price on the calipers and ligther items.

I am pretty sure you'll need to replace the brake lines too if you are converting from the smaller brakes. Also the dust shields will either need to be cut or replaced with the larger ones.

If you are on a budget you can get away perfectly well with 4 calipers and 4 discs, plus whatever pads you want. the calipers come with pins, and nipple covers. the rest may stop some rattles but they work fine without all that *hit ;) Trim the backing plates with an angle grinder, or remove the fronts completely. Original Jap spec bolts will hold the UK calipers, and you can use the original hoses, but braided are nice :)

you can use the original hoses, but braided are nice :)

Really! That's different to what I've heard on here over the years - many traders have said that the UK and Jspec lines are not interchangeable due to a different thread size on the caliper. It might well be misinformation and need to flog parts, but if you can confirm they are the same I'll add this to an upcoming tech article on the UK brake swap (This was one of two question marks on it)

Thanks guys!

Best to call Steve Manley for verificaion on those as he's supplied a load of kits and know what's needed. Either that or Nic who should be able to undercut the price on the calipers and ligther items.

I am pretty sure you'll need to replace the brake lines too if you are converting from the smaller brakes. Also the dust shields will either need to be cut or replaced with the larger ones.

Yeah, I ordered a set of Goodridge stainless hoses earlier today. I'm going to change the hoses by themselves first to see how much of a difference they make. The dust shields will be getting trimmed back.

If you are on a budget you can get away perfectly well with 4 calipers and 4 discs, plus whatever pads you want. the calipers come with pins, and nipple covers. the rest may stop some rattles but they work fine without all that *hit ;) Trim the backing plates with an angle grinder, or remove the fronts completely. Original Jap spec bolts will hold the UK calipers, and you can use the original hoses, but braided are nice :)

Just what I wanted to hear! BTW, do you have any UK calipers in stock? If you do I'll give you a bell in the morning to get a price before I go over to Toyota.

Andy I have the 4 pot front + fitting kit + shim kit in stock, it would be next week now when I could post.

OK thanks, would you mind sending a quote for the above, delivered to England. If you can get the equivalents for the rear axle quickly, I'd appreciate a quote for those too. Also a delivered price for a full set of Endless MX72 pads for the above brakes.

Cheers

Andy

P.s. Not to put any pressure on, but I'm going down my local dealership lunchtime today for a quote. If you could get your quote in before then you could save me a trip!

hi bud, depending on what your going to use the car for to what pads needed, but me and my brother do alot of trackdays in our uk cars and use original toyota disc's with performance friction pads, with braided hose's and the best brake fluid you can buy srs or somthing like that (gets really hot without boiling) and we have never had any problems, you will be more then happy with the brake upgrade.

Best £££ you will spend so far.

Don't know if it helps but I bought the following -

T47730-14260 Disc Calliper FR

T47750-14270 Disc Calliper FR

T43512-14200 Brake Disc FR

T43516-14030 Brake Disc FR

T04945-14110 Shim Kit, Brake FR

T04465-14150 Disc Pads, FR

T04947-14010 Fitting Kit, FR

T42431-14150 Brake Disc Rear X2

T47730-14270 Disc Calliper Rear

T47750-14280 Disc Calliper Rear

T04946-14030 Shim Kit, Brake Rear

T04948-14010 Fitting Kit, Rear

T04466-14040 Disc Pads, Rear

£1025 (including delivery) from here -

http://www.cheaptoyotaparts.co.uk

[email protected]

I also bought Goodridge hoses and Halfords 5.1 fluid separately.

This included everything I needed.

The only complaint I've got is the dust from the stock pads, but you're going a different route so not really applicable.

I chose stock pads first, so if / when I go aftermarket I can gauge any difference.

hi bud, depending on what your going to use the car for to what pads needed, but me and my brother do alot of trackdays in our uk cars and use original toyota disc's with performance friction pads, with braided hose's and the best brake fluid you can buy srs or somthing like that (gets really hot without boiling) and we have never had any problems, you will be more then happy with the brake upgrade.

Best £££ you will spend so far.

Hi mate,

The performance friction Z-rated pads were my first choice but I just can't get hold of them. I think they've been completely discontinued. No-one seems to have any remaining stock either. Even if I could find some, when it comes to replacement, I seriously doubt I could find an equivalent.

Do you have a source for them?

Really! That's different to what I've heard on here over the years - many traders have said that the UK and Jspec lines are not interchangeable due to a different thread size on the caliper. It might well be misinformation and need to flog parts, but if you can confirm they are the same I'll add this to an upcoming tech article on the UK brake swap (This was one of two question marks on it)

I hope not, I have been running the same Goodridge braided lines on mine that I had when Jspec and now Uk spec. I believe when I bought them form envy that they only do one set of brake lines so they must be interchangeable.

You had me a bit worried there so I went to check for myself that the two lines were interchangable. In the attached captures, you can see data from toyodiy.com showing that the union bolts used on each caliper are the same for UK and JDM brakes, both on the front and back. The part number is 90401-10042. I think we can safely say now that the two brakes have identical thread sizes.

HTH

Andy

Front JDM.PNG

Front UK.PNG

Rear JDM.PNG

Rear UK.PNG

Nope, i didnt change my lines when I got my UK brakes, made no difference, all fitted together fine. I only have braided ones now because the old ones failed on the MOT ;) - and i just removed the dust shields :D

Thought I'd add too this thread with my relatively recent experience in getting calipers overhauled.

My S2000 suffered with the typical well known sticky caliper problem after only 2 weeks of ownership.

I contacted EDC on the recommendation of someone on the S2000 forum. For £350 they sent a courier out to me, picked the calipers up, overhauled them completely with new pistons, seals......etc etc. and then couriered them back in less than a week. You can also specify the colour you want them powder coated in, (the default one is blingy gold).

:D