The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is an EGT gauge needed for BPU?

hoff

As I'm going bpu when I do my engine conversion I thought it would be a good idea to install some gauges. i was thinking boost, oil temp and egt.

So two questions. One, would they be suitable or should I go for another combo? And two, is an egt gauge a must for bpu?

Thanks

It's not essential, but nice to have. AFR is more important IMO, they are quicker to react and are better from a diagnostics point of view should any issue arrise.

EGT will only tell you something is wrong, it won't help tell you what is wrong. AFR gauges tell you something is wrong and also help tell you what *may* be wrong. They are also far easier to fit and don't carry the risk of turbo destruction if the sensor fails.

Two gauges are essential: Boost and AFR, all the others are nice to have.

I wonder how many engines have ever really been saved because of a gauge?

Call me cynical but in the heat of the moment and the split second that detonation occurs the gauge probably won’t be noticed until it’s too late.

Probably better off getting the car properly rolling roaded and having the fuelling checked then.

Call me cynical but in the heat of the moment and the split second that detonation occurs the gauge probably won’t be noticed until it’s too late.

Good point.

The gauges that have an adjustable audible warning indicator are useful.

A LOT! They are the first indication of a problem, the AFR gauge saved me once on a track day when the FPR hose popped off (that serious engine melting stuff), and numerous time during the single install. An EGT gauge would not have reacted anywhere near as fast nor allowed issues to be diagnosed as quickly.

As an alternative to the AEM I was thinking of these http://www.xyberautos.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=40_67&products_id=534 I've heard they are decant gauges, but dont know if the AFR one will be sufficiant compared to the AEM one.

What are peoples thoughts?

Using a gauge like that for AFR's is a little tricky, they need to be large and have a very clear and visible reading in the 11-14 range. You need to be able to clearly view the exact afr reading (we're talking 0.2 differences here), without having to hold a gaze and work out where the needle is. Thats why most AFR gauges have a large digital display, it's easy to see exactly what the reading is at any given time under boost.

Cheers guys:) I think a couple of gauges to keep an eye on things.

If I go for an AFR, is there a cheaper alternative to the AEM that is any good?

Sorry if im asking a daft question, but Im looking at getting some gauges and have been having a read through this thread. What does AEM stand for?

Sorry if im asking a daft question, but Im looking at getting some gauges and have been having a read through this thread. What does AEM stand for?

It's a just a brand name : http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=66

Not sure what it stands for though.

Edit: advanced engine management apparently

Edited by Steviekid (see edit history)

Probably better off getting the car properly rolling roaded and having the fuelling checked then.

saved mine! seen the water temp starting to rise abnormaly so i stopped instantly to see my rad was spraying out water! would of been messy if i didnt notice!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ae86ma70

AEM UEGO units are currently on sale at Enjuku Racing (http://www.enjukuracing.com) for $218 USD. This is cheaper than the Innovate, and I have heard they are just as good. They both use the same Bosch sensor. I am not in any way affiliated with the above site, but noticed the other day that they were on sale.

Guest ae86ma70

I'd also like to add that gauges have helped me on many occasions, especially the OEM gauges. I have stock Oil Pressure, Water Temperature, and Voltage gauges, and aftermarket EGT, UEGO (wideband AFR), and boost gauges. I find that these let me monitor just about everything that I'm overly concerned with. Obviously there are other gauges that can be added, but my setup along with the other factory idiot lights seems to keep me pretty well informed.

Jason

Atlanta, GA