The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fitted fuel pump and now fuel gauge not working

Duffman

As said in the title I fitted fuel pump and now fuel gauge not working properly.

The tank was really empty when I chnaged it over so I went and fired £30 in it to give it tank a decent fill and it hardly seemed to move off the line at the bottom...so then fired another £20 in & nothing until I started driving and it fired straight upto the top (I know that £50 certainly wouldn't fill it). Have done around 100 miles since & its still in the exact same place although the orange low fuel light comes on sometimes now.

Only thing I can think of that might have caused it is when I was removing the fuel pump cage from the fuel tank the small box (which contains a small gauge thats goes from Empty-Full) seemed to be in 2 pieces. I think this may just have happened when removing the cage as it looks impossible to get it out without splitting into 2.

When I was putting cage back in I put it all through the hole at the fuel tank and connected the 2 bits together while it still was inside the tank as this looked the easiest way.

Anyone any ideas

Leaking high pressure fitting or return / breather hose to tank unit, tank unit seal damaged or misplaced, tank unit plastic ring nut cross threaded or not tightened to the alignment arrows positions.

Tank unit plastic ring was a bit of a pain to get on the threads but it has been tightened to the arrows & jubolee clip fitted on it. Will need to check the the high pressure fitting or return / breather hose to tank unit but I remember putting the clips on. Where is the tank unit seal?

get this sorted mate...

dont muck about with fuel

Yeah i'm working on it...not the wisest thing you can do,...drive about with your car stinking of petrol :blink:

Leaking high pressure fitting or return / breather hose to tank unit, tank unit seal damaged or misplaced, tank unit plastic ring nut cross threaded or not tightened to the alignment arrows positions.

Also could this be the cause of the gauge not functioning correctly as well as the strong smell of petrol?

No, you'll have bent the arm, or worse.

Removed the cage from the fuel tank and checked that it was functioning correctly i.e. moving arm up made fuel gauge needle go up and vice versa. So all seems to be working fine.

I'm thinking along the lines of I may have bent the arm now as I don't see what else it could be. When I removed the cage the first time I never disconnected the arm it was apart when I took it out the tank...maybe I have bent the arm when pulling the cage from the tank(as I didnt know the arm was sticking out)...if I have done this then my bad.

Will need to get another cage I'm guessing?

Also found the culprit of the smell of fuel...one of the rags I used to soak up the excess was stuck down the side in the boot...schoolboy error