The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Please don't laugh at me but....

Si_s Supe

I am selling my Civic SiR soon and am coming over to the dark side and buying the car I've ALWAYS wanted...a mkIV!

Now, I know the words 'fuel economy' and 'Supra' don't generally fit in the same sentence but I just want to know the figures while I'm in the research phase! I will be using the car as a daily driver and can't decide between a manual NA or an auto TT. Is there a vast difference in economy between the 2? If any1 could shed a little light on MPG figures they actually get I'd be greatful. I've found some official figures but they seem a little vague!

My daily commute is about 15 miles round trip, about 6 of those are motorway, the rest on 40mph town roads.

Thanks in advance guys.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am selling my Civic SiR soon and am coming over to the dark side and buying the car I've ALWAYS wanted...a mkIV!

Now, I know the words 'fuel economy' and 'Supra' don't generally fit in the same sentence but I just want to know the figures while I'm in the research phase! I will be using the car as a daily driver and can't decide between a manual NA or an auto TT. Is there a vast difference in economy between the 2? If any1 could shed a little light on MPG figures they actually get I'd be greatful. I've found some official figures but they seem a little vague!

My daily commute is about 15 miles round trip, about 6 of those are motorway, the rest on 40mph town roads.

Thanks in advance guys.

15 mile round trip, thats nothing, a gallon a day at worse, a lot depends on how you drive it, lotsof info on MPG if you use the search above

Ok. I'm over it now.

Drive like a 17 year old, hard and fast, you'll get 18 MPG or worse.

Drive like a chap who takes pride in his pipe and slippers you'll get in the high 20s.

Probably 22-23mpg on average, for either N/A ot TT.

On motorway journeys, it quite possible to get 30+ MPG, unless you're giving it some beans :)

LOL, I understand that having a TT will offer the sweet temptation of flooring it everywhere! But, if I just potter it to and from work, will it be OKish on fuel??

So is the difference between NA and TT vast?? I'm working on the assumption that the NA will have to work harder than the TT to get up to speed and so will be less economical that you'd expect??

Ok. I'm over it now.

Drive like a 17 year old, hard and fast, you'll get 18 MPG or worse.

Drive like a chap who takes pride in his pipe and slippers you'll get in the high 20s.

Probably 22-23mpg on average, for either N/A ot TT.

On motorway journeys, it quite possible to get 30+ MPG, unless you're giving it some beans :)

Well 22-23 mpg is around what I expected for NA I guess but alot better than I expected for TT! That has got me thinking now!!

I don't think the Supra is the sort of car to be driving if your at all concerned about fuel economy.

A better idea (If you can!), is to get an economical runaround and save the Supra for after work entertainment.

That's crossed my mind but by the time I've insured / taxed / maintained / ran a 2nd car I'd be better off just running the Supra!

Of course I'm not hell bent on getting a good fuel economy...I'm not silly and know full well it's going to be juicy...just want to be armed with as much info before making my decision!! If the NA was loads better then I'd go for it but seeing as it seems to be a close run thing, the TT is seeming quite attractive!

Another thing, is it possible to retro fit cruise control??

I don't know you know.....:confused:

I am wondering if Sky insurance ..or someone will do an affordable 2 car policy :).

Having a daily runaround will allow you to keep the Supra in A1 condition and give you the benefit of not having to rush any jobs you might want to do on it.

You will be able to look forward to driving it more, rather than worrying about who is going to scratch it in the office/works..etc car park.

lol, i get arround 200-250 per tank

and i've done the rear 265/35 r18's in less than 2weeks

this cars gonna cost me

oh and i put in arround 150pw petrol

not to mention the £2400 insurance costs, hahaha worth it tho

oh its n/a auto lol

If you have done your rears that quick I'm guessing you go everywhere sideways!! I've been there, done that and left those days behind with my 200sx!! Got caught by plod too many times!! :blink:

If your SIR is like mine it will be fairly similar to the N/A...

Not far off the same speed either, I'd get the TT if you want a major difference

Granted the SiR's are rapid...love mine but for me its all about the sexy looks of the Supra! A TT would be an added bonus but the NA I'm sure (I hope) would be quick enough to keep me happy!!

I don't know you know.....:confused:

I am wondering if Sky insurance ..or someone will do an affordable 2 car policy :).

Having a daily runaround will allow you to keep the Supra in A1 condition and give you the benefit of not having to rush any jobs you might want to do on it.

You will be able to look forward to driving it more, rather than worrying about who is going to scratch it in the office/works..etc car park.

That would be an ideal scenario for me!!

Mind you..If you are 24 years old this year I don't know what the Insurance would cost:)

I was 24 in Feb, had quotes on Supras...JDM TT £632 fully comp. and the NA £545 fully comp! Currently paying £880 on the SiR! :search:

Also, what are the NA auto's like?? Part of me does fancy an auto just for the smooth easy drive...but will it be a bit gutless?? Never been in 1!

IMO not much in it between a TT and NA auto up to 60 the TT comes into its own from speed limits that are above legal. I have both a single Turbo manual and a NA auto and the Na is actually more fun on a day to day drive.

If you have done your rears that quick I'm guessing you go everywhere sideways!! I've been there, done that and left those days behind with my 200sx!! Got caught by plod too many times!! :blink:

Granted the SiR's are rapid...love mine but for me its all about the sexy looks of the Supra! A TT would be an added bonus but the NA I'm sure (I hope) would be quick enough to keep me happy!!

That would be an ideal scenario for me!!

I was 24 in Feb, had quotes on Supras...JDM TT £632 fully comp. and the NA £545 fully comp! Currently paying £880 on the SiR! :search:

you cant go sideways in an NA !!!