The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Quiet Exhaust Options

tDR

May be using my Supra as a daily driver for a bit and as such need to bring the noise level down a bit. Love my Nur Spec R but it's not really suitable job wise as well as it annoying my neighbours when I come home late.

Have seen the Tanabe Touring Medallion thread and that would be an option other than I hate the looks. Love how my Nur Spec R looks so was thinking maybe the Nur Spec RX is the way to go? Can anyone confirm what the noise level is like at idle, low speed and when pressing on? I'd like a good bit quieter for the first two scenarios to be low key but don't mind loud when I open it up. Would also like to retain the nice rumble I get just now, just turned down a bit!

I'm double decatted so need the exhaust to do any silencing, or does anyone know if a sports cat would quieten the Nur Spec R down enough whilst also being more convenient come MOT time?

Have checked out the Blitz Touring also but don't like the looks of that either, although it is nicer than the Tanabe. Also don't like the bung option since that looks really naff and hampers performance.

Cheers,

Brian.

Hi, HKS Super dragger sounds like the one you want, it ticks all your points, I have one and it sounds great.

Bob.

Have heard them in the past, cant remember if it was on the Supra though - just know it was close to the Nur Spec R noise wise! Is yours decatted?

Other thing about the Super Dragger is the mild steel pipework that always rots - would only pay ~ £500 for something that lasts so stainless steel or other material that won't rot.

Cheers,

Brian.

The Blitz NUR RX would be my recommendation, Blitz rate it at 91DB (on a standard Supra with cats fitted), this compares to 87DB for the standard exhaust. I've sold quite a few of these so there should be someone on here that could perhaps post a sound/video clip. It looks identical to the Blitz NUR R from the rear, but is a fair bit quieter (Blitz NUR R rated at 94DB).

Blitz also do the NUR Touring and NUR V for the Supra which are both rated at 88DB, the NUR V uses a bung and is similar in appearance to the NUR R, the NUR Touring doesn't but has a different shaped rear.

Hi, HKS Super dragger sounds like the one you want, it ticks all your points, I have one and it sounds great.

Bob.

The Super Dragger is ace but a bit loud if you are running a single turbo.I just put the baffle back in my Super dragger yesterday.Ah the peace and quiet....

Thanks for the vids guys - it sounds great under WOT just like my Spec R does but am a little worried it's not really quieter at low speed and idle - have any of you directly compared with a Spec R / heard one and can offer a comparitive opinion?

Cheers,

Brian.

I could swap you for my Envy rsr exhaust its a bit quiet :p

I know yours is speshul mate :D

Was silly loud when you were NA, did you notice a decent drop in noise when you converted to TT? Got it running right yet?

Nic any idea on the noise level of the Nur V without the bung in? Could you PM me some pricing inc. delivery to Scotland? Same goes for the sports cats you posted about a while back :) Were they weld in to existing piping? If I was going down that road I guess I could get a silencer box welded in at the same time to the lower decat pipe...

Cheers,

Brian.

What don't you like about the looks of the Touring Medalion? Looks tidy & stock-ish to me. :)

Kwik-Fit special - just missing the blue paint :D :p

I much prefer the look of a traditional 'JDM style' rear can and do like a slanty exit :eyebrows:

SupraGirlie - were you decatted?

I have a custom 2.5" exhaust with the 2nd de-cat custom built into it. It will be coming off the car soon if your interested? Its, what i would consider, very quiet. It has a nice low rumble just to let you know that there is power there but its nothing compared to the fujitsubo on the MR2.

I have a custom 2.5" exhaust with the 2nd de-cat custom built into it. It will be coming off the car soon if your interested? Its, what i would consider, very quiet. It has a nice low rumble just to let you know that there is power there but its nothing compared to the fujitsubo on the MR2.

Not keen on custom stuff and would rather it was 3" piping given I may go single...

I know yours is speshul mate :D

Was silly loud when you were NA, did you notice a decent drop in noise when you converted to TT? Got it running right yet?

Yeah buddy i dont even notice it loud now but i guess thats because im used to it, Got the car running fine now apart from a clutch. Believe it or not, i had taken it to 4 garages and all were downing sensors, decided to change the spark plugs after all the stopping/starting and guess what?? Well someone had swapped some of the spark plugs over and had 3 different ones from the other 3 NGK Iridiums i had fitted. Problem solved after a lot of money and 5 months off the road. Crazy

Just had a look at the Blitz UK site:

http://www.blitz-uk.co.uk/ProductItem-2421.aspx

The Nur Spec RX comes in at 91db as is and doesn't come with / need a bung.

The Nur Spec R comes in at 105db as is and if you use the supplied bung it comes in at 94db.

So, the RX is quieter than the R even when the R has the bung in! Looks like the right option for me, but the above doesn't mention anything about decats. 105db sounds very high - I'm not sure a car with cats could produce such noise so perhaps those figures asume decatted cars?

Can anyone offer opinion on sounds levels based on real life between the R and RX at both idle and part throttle cruising like you do going up your home street / out an office car park?

Cheers,

Brian.

Thanks for the vids guys - it sounds great under WOT just like my Spec R does but am a little worried it's not really quieter at low speed and idle - have any of you directly compared with a Spec R / heard one and can offer a comparitive opinion?

Cheers,

Brian.

It's not quite as quiet as i'd like at low speed that's partially why I said i'd buy Dash Rendar's TRD exhaust on here when he gets a new exhaust lined up.

I should mention that the RX is slightly restrictive as I will only boost to 0.9bar but when the previous owner had a different exhaust it boost to 1.2bar and needed a restrictor ring. I'm not sure if Lbm or anyone else has found the same?