The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hello, Toyota Supra newbie

Guest scottaii

Guest scottaii

Hello there!,

Been looking around the forums for a bit getting to know a bit of the lingo (which i still don't know any... apart from BPU haha).

Been looking at Supras for a good couple of years thinking "wow id love one of them" but only recently been looking into the details of them, as i can now afford one and turning 21 soon (so insurance goes wayyy down).

Couple of questions:

1)

I got confused on the spec of the Jap imports and the UK spec. From what i understand the UK spec where build with higher performance with a better BHP. But, is this the case because the Jap versions have a limiter on them or are the engines actually worse?

( I.E Are jap imports as good as UK spec?)

2)

Will i find any Manual | 6sp | Aerotop | TT | RHD for sale... atall?

I have seen a good couple of Auto's, Very nice actually, but having never driven an auto whats it like?

3)

Know anywhere i could get BPU fitted in England?

Cheers guys!

Welcome mate!

Have a look here for general info:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=69

And as for driving an auto, personally i think the Supra has one of the best auto boxes around so you cant go wrong and i dont think you can get a Manual 6spd Uk Aerotop TT as im not sure they were even made but im sure some other guys on here could let you know!!

Welcome. :)

The Jap spec cars differ slightly to UK cars. About 30 BHP difference.

Smaller injectors and ceramic turbos (Have to run slightly lower boost) being the main difference. The engines are the same. UK cars are much rarer and the nor. here is J spec. :)

Most of the traders here can kit you out to BPU level. Whifbitz in London, AFR, Toyota GT etc. If you find someone closer post here to see if they're any good before letting them loose on your pride and joy. :)

Welcome mate :p

Where abouts are you ? Keep an eye out for the regional meets in the forum, usually meet first monday in month ,at the toby pub at cardiff gate, pop along and meet the guys and gals and they'll point you in the right direction, and who to trust your pride and joy with !! ;)

Edited by Dyer864 (see edit history)

Welcome. :)

The Jap spec cars differ slightly to UK cars. About 30 BHP difference.

Smaller injectors and ceramic turbos (Have to run slightly lower boost) being the main difference. The engines are the same. UK cars are much rarer and the nor. here is J spec. :)

Most of the traders here can kit you out to BPU level. Whifbitz in London, AFR, Toyota GT etc. If you find someone closer post here to see if they're any good before letting them loose on your pride and joy. :)

my standard j spec made 332hp on the dyno :p

There are very little difference in J spec and uk power wise.

The stated figures of 280hp for Jspec was just a gentlemens agreement between manufactures.

Guest scottaii

Cheers for all the quick feedback!

i didn't think there were any manual Aero's in the UK but i though id ask the people in the know ;)

That's nice to hear that the Auto box is a good one, Although there's something about manual... you feel more in control.. how can i put it?

Are there many people who do Auto - Manual conversions?

Ahh good to hear about the Local meets, how many people turn up to these sort of things? (im actually in Swansea butt ;) )

Standard j spec making 332Hp.. thats nice!

What sort of increase in Bhp have people noticed from having a BPU?

Guest scottaii

Just read the supra info made by AeroDave and its brilliant, nice to have a personal slant on things (such as him liking the auto e.c.t).

Very good point of his also is that if you want a manual gearbox for good corners e.c.t why would you want a aerotop model that will twist slightly because of the design.

so now i have to decide if i want the Aerotop (Auto) or a hardtop (manual).... oh the choices :innocent:

[ i cant believe my dream can now become reality! ]

Gaz,

How much has that cost you (inc labour) for your setup?

How reliable is it? (are you having to constantly tune it?)

Would you say travel Europe or a long distance in it?

The J specs make the same power standard as the UK and are cheaper to get c390bhp out of. They also have faster spooling larger turbos that dont need the same excessive boost level of the UK's to get them moving :p

:D

The J specs make the same power standard as the UK and are cheaper to get c390bhp out of. They also have faster spooling larger turbos that dont need the same excessive boost level of the UK's to get them moving :p

http://4and20blackbirds.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/lg-can_of_worms.jpg

:( Juanchan made 30 more than me at last years AFR day.

Must be Matt winding me up.. :D Either that or the Janspeed back box is restricting her. :D

http://4and20blackbirds.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/lg-can_of_worms.jpg

exhaust, decat and new filter is all my uk needed to get to 400.

to get the same on a jspec wouldnt you have to update the fuel pump?

I can think of two in the UK, one being a single turbo and one being a hybrid tt

cant think of any more :search:

Good luck in your search :)

There are a couple more.

A silver one. i dont remember the guys name unfortunately. Chunk over here in northampton also has a very nice 6 speed single aero.

exhaust, decat and new filter is all my uk needed to get to 400.

to get the same on a jspec wouldnt you have to update the fuel pump?

Either you have a boost controller or it was a very generous RR :eyebrows: ;)

Fuel pump on J Spec is man enough for BPU but to be honest I'd always swap it on J or UK for safety given the age of the cars.

Guest scottaii

Theres one for sale here (nice red one) 5ps manual tt aerotop, looks very nice actually.

so much info on this site its brilliant!

How far would you trust a BPU TT j-Spec to travel?

could you do a (for example) European tour? (its an idea me and my friend have)

P.S When you say "Spool faster" does that mean start spinning faster or....

:( Juanchan made 30 more than me at last years AFR day.

Must be Matt winding me up.. :D Either that or the Janspeed back box is restricting her. :D

That £20 I slipped to Matt just before the open day paid off in the end :D Stock all the way dude, that exhaust probably cost you about 32bhp I'd estimate ;)

How far would you trust a BPU TT j-Spec to travel?

could you do a (for example) European tour? (its an idea me and my friend have)

P.S When you say "Spool faster" does that mean start spinning faster or....

Many Supras on here have been to the moon and back. My UK is on 113,000 miles and never misses a beat (except when it's cold, but that's cos my battery needs replacing :)).

The UK turbos have steel internals, the j-specs have lighter ceramic internals. The UK turbos therefore require more energy to get spinning to provide boost.

Overall, it means the j-spec turbos can, in theory, provide boost at a lower RPM level than the UKs.

Given that owners of both UK and j-specs on here agree that the first turbo provides boost from about 2k RPM, and the second turbo cuts in at about 4k RPM, I'd say the difference in engine speed for the two variants of Supra is largely negligible.

Oh, and to throw my 2p into the can of worms debate....when UK turbos let go, they don't tend to go catastrophically ;)

Guest scottaii
That £20 I slipped to Matt just before the open day paid off in the end :D Stock all the way dude, that exhaust probably cost you about 32bhp I'd estimate ;)

Many Supras on here have been to the moon and back. My UK is on 113,000 miles and never misses a beat (except when it's cold, but that's cos my battery needs replacing :)).

The UK turbos have steel internals, the j-specs have lighter ceramic internals. The UK turbos therefore require more energy to get spinning to provide boost.

Overall, it means the j-spec turbos can, in theory, provide boost at a lower RPM level than the UKs.

Given that owners of both UK and j-specs on here agree that the first turbo provides boost from about 2k RPM, and the second turbo cuts in at about 4k RPM, I'd say the difference in engine speed for the two variants of Supra is largely negligible.

Oh, and to throw my 2p into the can of worms debate....when UK turbos let go, they don't tend to go catastrophically ;)

Cheers for that buddy :D

Gaz,

How much has that cost you (inc labour) for your setup?

How reliable is it? (are you having to constantly tune it?)

Would you say travel Europe or a long distance in it?

I honestly would hate to add it up... let's say well over £15k on performance mods.

It's reliable as long as you look after the car and keep it serviced regularly.

I've driven through Europe several times and I have had some problems, but I'm confident my car will be perfectly reliable next time I hit the Nurburgring. If done correctly, a single turbo Supra should be just as reliable as a BPU car. After all, in theory there is less to go wrong :innocent:

Guest scottaii
I honestly would hate to add it up... let's say well over £15k on performance mods.

It's reliable as long as you look after the car and keep it serviced regularly.

I've driven through Europe several times and I have had some problems, but I'm confident my car will be perfectly reliable next time I hit the Nurburgring. If done correctly, a single turbo Supra should be just as reliable as a BPU car. After all, in theory there is less to go wrong :innocent:

Taken it to the nurburgring.. that must have been great fun.

over 15K... ouch.. but its got to be worth it.

i quite like the look of this car

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/993833.htm

What you guys think?