ChrisR

Electrical or Mechanical Gauges?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Electrical or Mechanical Gauges?

• Full Sweep Electrical Gauges
    • Electrical Gauges
    • Mechanical Gauges
    • Mixture of Above

I will shortly be getting 3 gauges, Boost, EGT and Oil Pressure. Just wanted to know peoples preference to what type, Electrical or Mechanical. Which is better\accurate.

Cheers

ChrisR

EDIT: Forgot to say you can select more than one option if you have different types. It will give me an idea what people have.

Feel free to add your 2p as well :)

Originally posted by NWS25

Boost mechanical.

EGT electrical (dont think it comes as anything else)

Oil Pressure...Electrical as you don't want to feed oil pipe into the cabin.

Cheers Nick,

Good point regarding the EGT, it is only electrical. I have heard cautions about sending fuel and oil to guages into the cabin. Makes sense :eek: .

I've got the HKS 60mm electrionic boost and EGT gauges (old style). You can set warning levels and it will also record the highest reading so you can view it in play back mode. I've found them useful but it depends what you want. A mechanical boost gauge will be just as accurate, just have less features.

i have hks electronic boost and egt gauges in air vent holes. seem ok. have seen some cars with led displays on boost gauges. sometimes it can be hard to see a needle. the led gauges sound like a good idea.

what other gauges is it worth having?

oil pressure

oil temp

gearbox temp

fuel pressure

they are expensive for what they are

I like electircal gauges because it's a lot easier to plumb in a sensor under the bonnet and then just have a length of wire going into the cabin that running vac lines etc all over the place.

mark, if you go to takakaira, I think it's Defi that have just started doing a single DIN panel with 42mm oil pressure and temp, and water temp gauges, all in it's only about $300 or something. Lot of kit for the money!

Originally posted by MONKEYmark

i have hks electronic boost and egt gauges in air vent holes. seem ok. have seen some cars with led displays on boost gauges. sometimes it can be hard to see a needle. the led gauges sound like a good idea.

My HKS gauges have a LED which flashes amber and then red when you reach within specific percentages of the preset warning level. Have to admit I don't notice the colour too much, just a flashing light out the corner of my eye but I like the feature.

One of the things I like about the RX7 is some have a boost gauge mounted in the top of the steering column, sort of sunk in at an angle, so it's right in front of you.