The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA auto Brakes

Guest Iain-E39

Guest Iain-E39

Just drove a nice NA auto supra.

Ive never driven an Auto supra b4

I felt that you really had to push the brake pedal down to slow the car.

Didnt inspire me with much confidence in the brakes.

In my bmw its responsive as soon as its touched.

Any advice on this would be great

Its probably an age thing...............what year Beemer are you comparing to?

It could have old fluid, old (read flexing) brake hoses, poor pads making things worse but the pedal pressure of a perfectly working na auto will generally be higher than a later more standard/run of the mill car.

Its like me getting out of my 205 diesel and into the sister in laws 206 and nearly putting myself through the windscreen at the first t junction! :) it seems the newer cars have a far lighter touch designed into them.

if you have another go check it has abs before you set off and then give the brakes the emergency stop treatment and try and forget the effort required (to a point) and see what you think of the stopping distance/performance........and how quick you feel the abs........if the abs doesn't kick in soon it could be a sign of the system is in need of checking in general.

Guest Iain-E39

thanks mate.

Im compairing it to a w reg 5 series with new discs and pads.

The brakes worked fine on the supra but there seemed to be quite alot of travel in the pedal b4 anything happened didnt feel like anything was assisting the brakes i had to push harder than im used to.

its a 1993 without traction control.

the ride was hard as nails as well it had 19's on it but u could really feel everybump in the road.

Im also not very impressed with the power of the car either.

i have a 2.5 with 195bhp and the supra didnt feel any faster to be honest.

the crazy thing is that i love it.

the looks and sound anyway.

the wheels were great its an aero top and it has new glass headlights with full leather so wouldnt need much doing to it in terms of looks.

maybe i should try a manual

Edited by Iain-E39 (see edit history)

The na won't impress that much in comparison......a manual should be a 'bit' better the aerotops extra weight shows up the relatively low power of the na engine (quarter mile times are noticably slower for aero na's). The main advantage would probably be seen more as you approach illegal speeds as its a bit sleeker than your average 5 series i'd think.