The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HKS T51R Turbo

Vaughany

I am looking to change my turbo, after a recent remap and dyno, i am not happy with my existing turbo (PHR Stage 2+) so I want to change to something better.

I was thinking of the T51R, members opinions please on this turbo and where the best place to purchase one would be, ie - uk or usa - any deals going?

Also my exiting setup has the HKS GT Wastegate and HKS GT Manifold so the turbo should bolt on but I think I will need another downpipe as it wont fit the PHR downpipe. Can anyone confirm this and if so what downpipe will fit my setup or is it as simple as a new flange to make the PHR downpipe fit the new T51R turbo.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As my build was coming together a T51 kit came up for sale, I was talked out of it by several members in the end including Mark from Phoenix and was told the T67 DBB would be more than enough for a good road car, they were not wrong, at 1.5bar the car was a street monster and needed no more power, if you are looking for street power I would look at that or the T04Z IMO

The T67 made my old T04R seem very outdated in its power delivery

Edited by tooquicktostop (see edit history)

How much power do you want? When do you want it to spool by?

Answer these and then you'll get better advice.

However, yes the T67DBB and it's slightly bigger brother the T71 from Precision (Boostlogic and others sell these) would be my choice, for devastating power with good spool.

Thanks guys for the info, the exisiting turbo on the car is supposedly a 67mm turbo but it is laggy as hell, it was making 1bar at 5000rpm and 1.75bar at 5500rpm, it is nothing and then everything. I have 272 cams and veilside intake which I know will increase lag but I was expecting a bit more response.

The power delivery is honestly pretty crap, it has low power upto 5500rpm and then goes through the roof from 5500rpm to the redline. it made 600bhp at 1.75bar with the hp increasing from 480 - 600bhp between 5500 to 6750rpm and did not drop off at any stage upto the redline. The power seems abit down on members cars of a similar spec so i think the problem lies with the turbo.

It was mapped on a Dyno dyanamics dyno in second gear (auto)so I expect the figures to be there or there about correct and was mapped by Mark Shead. This was done of vpower and Mark said there was no detonation and the charge temps were all good so the turbo was not under unnecessary stress.

Mark said obviously the lag can be reduced a bit further but in his opinion the setup was just very laggy. For this reason I want a turbo that will allow 700bhp but generally produce 600bhp at say 1.3/1.4bar with moderate lag. For this reason I was thinking of the T51 as there is a member (ash maybe) who seems to be producing 650 at 1.4bar.

Your opinions please on the above would be welcomed.

How much power do you want? When do you want it to spool by?

Answer these and then you'll get better advice.

However, yes the T67DBB and it's slightly bigger brother the T71 from Precision (Boostlogic and others sell these) would be my choice, for devastating power with good spool.

Sorry Alex, made my post brfore seeing your reply, i hope my responses help you in what i am looking for.

Get a ride in a a T67 DBB or T04Z car, I tell you now listening to the Turbo spool you have now (sounds like my old T88 ) you will be amazed, the T67 is very responsive and does not demand a trip to the red line for 600 BHP

Yes mate, I will have a look the T04Z, whats the differnce between this and the t51, they are both HKS and seem to quote similar power figures!

• 4 weeks later...
I`ll post it up asap.

Did you find those power figures? :)

After taking advice from JamieP i am considering the T67. Though thinkking about the T04Z though thought i read something about them where one member bought it and hated the power delivery then changed back to his T61 or somthing similar? Id love around 650BHP. Didnt think the T67 could acheieve 640BHP???

If its a t67 sized turbo and not spooling very quickly and then whalloping power at you I'd of thought you should look at your exhaust housing first. From memory if its 1.25 A/R or higher then its designed to extract as high a power as possible but it does that at the expense of lag. Drop down to a 0.68 I think it is and see how you like that perhaps.

Though thinkking about the T04Z though thought i read something about them where one member bought it and hated the power delivery then changed back to his T61 or somthing similar?

If this was Mike B, not sure he actually had a HKS T04z

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=179676&highlight=t04z

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=178372&highlight=t04z

I love my T67Dbb turbo, get full boost nice and early and now it is set around 1.6 bar its insane. Pulls nice and strong. I am just setting up the speed boost part of my controller to keep it at 1.6bar all the way to redline.

:)