The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cleaning products - Clay?

DaveSupTT

I am going to be giving my Supra a clean, but a while back, my Supra disc brakes got quite low (down to the metal) and as a result from braking metal to metal, I got loads of little bits of metal deposits sprayed up the side of my car.

I have tried pollishing it off, as its kind of just stuck to the surface, but i am having no luck. You can pick up off with your nails, but there is so many little specs of it, it would take a year!

I was wondering, what is Clay and would this do the job? I had a look on halfords website but I couldnt find anything.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Clays great stuff, as it picks up and holds little bits from the paint surface. Not a problem if used properly (lubricant / water) but I'd be worried with tiny bits of metal held in the clay and then wiped over the rest of the paintwork. I'd suggest picking off as much as you can see with your finger nails before using the clay bar, unless someone comes up with a better idea.

I've had a problem with tiny metal specks on my paintwork for a while. They seem to come from a foundry nearby. No problem if I wash it every week at least, but if left these specks dig in to the paint and leave tiny little rust spots. I've had to pick the worst off and then polish the little marks out....the bits I've picked off with my nails would scratch the paint if picked up in a clay bar I feel.

if you pick up the shards with the clay as ewen has said you could then just scratch the rest of the paint , if they are visible , then rather than rub the clay over a panel see if the clay will pull out the shard's by just dabbing it on to each bit that you can see , or if it comes to that anything that is sticky to get them out

I can vouch for the Meguiars clay kit as it comes with a quik detailer you put on first and a wax as well if you do that then it comes up really well!!

But like what has been said before, be careful of the metal sticking to the clay!

Have a look at my pics i took of my car after i used the Clay kit, personally i thought it cam up rather nice ;)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=179537&highlight=ready

ian get the mildest clay you can mate as the paint on the honda is super soft , you will only end up making it worse .

i detailed a civic type r a few weeks ago , and wiping off the machine polish was making marks , refining down was an absolute nightmare

Bugger, just ordered the 'normal' as opposed to the 'soft' one. :(

My paintwork is particularly bad, covered in tar etc. Will it be ok or should I ask guy to change it for the soft one?

Cheers

Bugger, just ordered the 'normal' as opposed to the 'soft' one. :(

My paintwork is particularly bad, covered in tar etc. Will it be ok or should I ask guy to change it for the soft one?

Cheers

if you can change i would , as for the tar try and get tar remover for the spots , rather than use the clay less rubbing less chance of marring

Personally always finds the tar remover works better when sprayed on, don't seem to use as much either ;)

Claybar, cut it in half when you get it and that way if you do drop it you've got another bit there (always bin it once dropped :( )

Clays great stuff, as it picks up and holds little bits from the paint surface. Not a problem if used properly (lubricant / water) but I'd be worried with tiny bits of metal held in the clay and then wiped over the rest of the paintwork. I'd suggest picking off as much as you can see with your finger nails before using the clay bar, unless someone comes up with a better idea.

I've had a problem with tiny metal specks on my paintwork for a while. They seem to come from a foundry nearby. No problem if I wash it every week at least, but if left these specks dig in to the paint and leave tiny little rust spots. I've had to pick the worst off and then polish the little marks out....the bits I've picked off with my nails would scratch the paint if picked up in a clay bar I feel.

I suffer from a similar problem, but it has nothing to do with a foundry, i live and park on a main road, and get lot of little bits of metal (rusty spots) and black spots, and its due to the amount of vehicles using their brakes, it leaves the dust which contains metal on the paintwork.

So every time i wash it i have to pick these off with my nails, and then use a commercial cut and wax or if its after a winter i use a polisher and mop with a very mild cutting compound, good job i put on plenty of paint;)