The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New engine oil

movistar

hi all, did an oil change this week and used castrol edge sport 0-40w fully synthetic...what a difference to what i was using (10-30 semi-synthetic).

The turbo's spools sooooooooo much quicker and the engine sounds better too.

I would highly recommend it if you were ever thinking of trying some:)

might even be tempted to go full bpu now:eyebrows:

Personally I wouldn't go that thin with oil on a car the age of the supra. Newer cars are starting to specify thinner oils but I think they are using tighter tolerances and I'm sure they have bearings than can keep oil pressure up with that viscosity of oil but the supra might not. I'd rather use slightly heavier oil to be on the safe side, especially on an older car that has a good few miles on it.

I wouldn't worry too much about oil pressure TBH as long as the engine has a sufficiently good oil cooler to keep the oil temp at or around 95C to 105C even under the most 'extreme' driving conditions (hot weather track days?).

I'd be more concerned about the wear on seals such as the turbo oil seals on the turbine side weeping oil due to the thinner viscosity. The oil in the turbo housing (especially around the turbine bearing end of the turbo) gets very hot, and a little wear plus thin oil can result in smoke..... and once it starts leaking oil past the seal its hard to stop it as oil deposits on the seals can bake on and make sealing more problematic.

I was thinking about putting 0W-40W in my 1994 Supra TT GZ but after reading up on the forums advice sections and speakng to Opie Oils I went for 5w-40 as I have an un-modified TT and do few miles in it!...

Oil types can be found here...

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=56684

And here

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=177830&page=6

There's an offer on at the moment with Opie Oils:)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=182289

thanks all for the input, i too had thought this at first, but this is what i have actually found using this oil 1,no smoke what so ever on start up or running 2, no signs of any weeping around the seals 3, oil pressure is the same as it was before and i was expecting a bit of a drop especially when hot 4,the oilman here also gave this the thumbs up for my spec 5,it is now quieter on first start up .

So all things considered it was a good move more me, what i can tell you that it took me about a year to source a genuine low mileage imported TT and with all the service history and the proof is in the pudding when it comes to things like this..oh iam the first owner since import and saw the car pretty much off the boat ;-)

Look here as the castrol web recommends 0-30, I've gone 0-40 as i have a few mods:sly:

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/iframe.do?categoryId=9024084&contentId=7044829

You all have to remember that we all are probably using different viscosity oils as we are all at different stages of tuning, so what good for one may not be good for another and don't believe everything you read on here as its only a guide line...and some take what other people say as Gospel, personally i prefer my own judgement as i have been in the motor trade now for 23 years+ and at different levels from prototype building for manufacturers to regular stuff, not that i don't listen to what people have to say;)

Iam going on a bit now:rolleyes:happy Easter every one:)

I did that Castrol search on my 1994 76,000 mile Supra TT GZ and it said to use 10w-60w oil.

I don't know what sort of mods you might have done to yours to warrant using 0w-40.

But anyway....If your happy with it that's all that matters :)

I did that Castrol search on my 1994 76,000 mile Supra TT GZ and it said to use 10w-60w oil.

I don't know what sort of mods you might have done to yours to warrant using 0w-40.

But anyway....If your happy with it that's all that matters :)

Hi.... it a 96 rz-s.

Thanks for the relpy, good to see we have the same taste in colour supe at least:cool: