The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just saying hello

Guest T-Blade

Guest T-Blade

Owning a supra has been a dream of mine for some time now and i'm hoping this summer will be the time, i'll be coming over from the land of 4x4's so as soon as i can bare to part with my beloved discovery i'll be behind the wheel of a twin turbo.......just think i'll cut my 0-60 time from 17.5 seconds to around 6....that'll take some getting used to :)

Guest T-Blade

cheers , i have been wondering though, is there any real concern with buying a jap import or is it just the done thing with supra's, i've checked out insurance quote's and there is no real difference between imports and uk cars, the only difference came in when i started ticking the modification boxes, that only just topped £900 even for a twin turbo.....not a lot when you consider that after just passing his test last year my brother had to fork out £1150 for a 1.4 clio!

Jap imports are pretty much the norm. Have a chat with Jurgen. He does great quality imports. Paul at Whifbitz may be able to point you in the right direction too. I had the same concern but my car was mint when it arrived from Japan. Welcome and good luck! VVTI's are more tricky when it comes to mods, but Jap and UK are much of a muchness....

Guest T-Blade

Great advice thanks, is it really that straight forward to have a car imported?, i thought all that business was something you only did with £100,000 supercars.....

Importing is straight forward enough if you get someone to do it for you, and I'd highly recommend that. Doing it yourself will end in tears unless you have connections overseas (or can speak/read/write Japanese) ;) I had a company do mine. They sourced the car, got it at auction, shipped it, converted to UK spec (MPH conversion & fog lights etc) and registered it all for me. All I had to do was provide insurance details to the company, pay for it, and pick it up (after a 3 month shipping and conversion wait).

If you do decide to go UK spec then you'll get bigger injectors and brakes, and steel turbo internals as opposed to ceramic jap ones. Search on here for all the differences like quicker spool on ceramic but lower boost limit (from ceramic and injector limits).

If you plan to go single then none of that makes much of a difference, but if you plan to stay with the stock twins, then UK is slightly better in the long run as they handle more abuse being steel and all.

Guest T-Blade

I think given the choice i would prefer to go with a uk spec car, i have read the buying and model guides on here and found them very usefull as until a short while ago i knew not all that much about supra's......well not the technical stuff anyway, fingers crossed i'll come across a uk gem somewhere.