The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Avon ZZ3s Vs Michelin Pilot Sport

Supra-Brett

Just had a new set of boots fitted on the supe.

£410 bought me 4 x new 19inch Avon ZZ3s (235 front and 265 rear) thats a great price off e-bay and a mate fitted them for £10per corner so £450 for all 4 fitted :). One word of warning though, its difficult getting 4 x 19s inside a supe to get them to the garage to be fitted, and you have to be careful not to mark any of the interior when doing so.

Previously i had michelin pilot sports on, and although i know im not comparing like for like (as the Avons are new and the Michelins had about 2 to 3mm left on them), the Avons grip much better.

Have to say im surprised as i thought the pilot sports even when worn would give good grip because they are so expensive when new, but i have to say that today in the dry i got much better grip.

All in all im very happy, next stop full alignment at Elite Wheels:d

Theres mixed reports of the avons mate a lot of people dont rate them at all. I have the same as you and size and i find them a very good tyre even in the wet. I suppose i depends what kind of power your running but they do great for bpu imo!

I tried them on my BPU 6spd and then later on the single, they were not good at all, especially when used on the front. There was no where near as much dry weather grip as Eagle F1's. The difference was extremely noticable and even my mechanic commented on it when he drove the car after the new Avons went on.

ZZ3's are a budget tyre, so it's what you'd expect really.

I tried them on my BPU 6spd and then later on the single, they were not good at all, especially when used on the front. There was no where near as much dry weather grip as Eagle F1's. The difference was extremely noticable and even my mechanic commented on it when he drove the car after the new Avons went on.

Maybe so, but compared to the michelins with 2 to 3mm left they are much better and thats surprised me a lot.

I always knew that new tyres were better than worn ones, but i thought that if they were worn and legal they would always have similar grip levels.

When does grip start to tail off when tyres wear down ? and by what percentage does grip decrease from a new vs worn but legal tyre ?

I always knew that new tyres were better than worn ones, but i thought that if they were worn and legal they would always have similar grip levels.

Tyres vary wildly in compounds, tread pattern etc depending upon the application (car/weather). Some tyres suit cars better than others.

This is why you shouldn't listen to any mates with front wheel euro boxes that rave about a certain tyre - the fatter, heavier RWD Supra will be utterly different.

Have a read up on tyre technology - it's quite incredible what thought goes into some round black rubber things.

Im clearly not driving my car hard enough then! :p