The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looking to upgrade my headlight bulbs

Duffman

Bought a set off ebay a while back 4000k's...the main headlights give off a kind of white (slight blue) tint but arent that bright and the sidelights are still yellow.

Could anyone recommend where to get some bulbs without upgrading to HID's. Although I may consider this depending on price

Don't bother with halogen bulbs mate, I bought a couple of different sets and even though they say 100w they were crap, very blue but still crap! HID's are available from HK for £50 (I got mine for less) and they bring the frontend bang up to date. Maybe proper osram halogens(£25-30 a set) are better but your almost at hid money.

As for sidelights just get LED efforts from ebay, they're white but compared to HID's they're still a bit yellow'ish but better than nothing.

Have you upgraded to UK glass headlights? Or do you have the plastic J-Spec ones. As if you have the J-Spec headlights pretty much any bulb will emit a yellow kind of light.

Headlight have been refurbshed so they are clear (no yellow)

Don't bother with halogen bulbs mate, I bought a couple of different sets and even though they say 100w they were crap, very blue but still crap! HID's are available from HK for £50 (I got mine for less) and they bring the frontend bang up to date. Maybe proper osram halogens(£25-30 a set) are better but your almost at hid money.

As for sidelights just get LED efforts from ebay, they're white but compared to HID's they're still a bit yellow'ish but better than nothing.

Would the HID's do the main beam and the sidelights? Could you post the link bud?

How much of a task to fit?

Put the hid's in your dipped as they don't like being flashed on and off plus you spend most of your time driving with the dipped on only.

They take all of 5 min to fit, it takes you longer to figure out where your going to stick the ballasts (about the size of a deck of cards)

Dont have a link to the one's I bought mate as the seller has changed his name but search ebay and you'll find them, just make sure they come with ballasts and not just the bulbs, some say 'hid conversion kit' and when you look further all you get is the bulbs and a wiring harness.

Guest gzaerojon
Headlight have been refurbshed so they are clear (no yellow)

Would the HID's do the main beam and the sidelights? Could you post the link bud?

How much of a task to fit?

I think you might be getting your sidelights and fog lights mixed up. The smallest of the 3 are the fogs and the sidelights are either small plastic bubbles on ore facelift or fitted in the bumper on facelift. The sidelights are just tiny flat bulbs on both.

I think you might be getting your sidelights and fog lights mixed up. The smallest of the 3 are the fogs and the sidelights are either small plastic bubbles on ore facelift or fitted in the bumper on facelift. The sidelights are just tiny flat bulbs on both.

I know where the sidelights are and its those i'm looking to chnage along with the main beams

I use these as sidelights, they're a bit more expensive than your usual led sides but they have 9 emitters and most of them are on the side which benefits the pre-facelift 'iglo' type sidelight position.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hi-Power-9-SMD-LED-Xenon-White-501-W5W-Sidelight-bulbs_W0QQitemZ180336810244QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item180336810244&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1689%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

And this is very similar to what I bought for my dipped beam. Don't listen to the bumpf about warranty and best quality hid on ebay as its just sales crap, they're all made in china and mostly the same, I bought the cheapest I could find (the one with a white porsche on the front of the box) and they've worked perfect since I fitted them.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XENON-HID-Kit-H1-9005-h7-HB3-HB4-6000k-2-ballast-BULB_W0QQitemZ310132626008QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item310132626008&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I use these as sidelights, they're a bit more expensive than your usual led sides but they have 9 emitters and most of them are on the side which benefits the pre-facelift 'iglo' type sidelight position.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hi-Power-9-SMD-LED-Xenon-White-501-W5W-Sidelight-bulbs_W0QQitemZ180336810244QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item180336810244&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1689%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

And this is very similar to what I bought for my dipped beam. Don't listen to the bumpf about warranty and best quality hid on ebay as its just sales crap, they're all made in china and mostly the same, I bought the cheapest I could find (the one with a white porsche on the front of the box) and they've worked perfect since I fitted them.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XENON-HID-Kit-H1-9005-h7-HB3-HB4-6000k-2-ballast-BULB_W0QQitemZ310132626008QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item310132626008&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Just bought the sidelights there.

Will the HID's plug straight into a supra?

Will the HID's plug straight into a supra?

As jamesy said, they should fit straight in. Some people recommend fitting a relay in but I never did and they've worked fine. Just make sure you search for the correct bulb size and quote that in your order as UK glass one's are different to jspec plastic lights.