The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looking to buy a Supra

Delboy52

Hi all.

This is my first post but I've read quite a bit on this forum and found it very helpful in my search for a Supra. I'm looking for a TT, pre VVTI for about £6k ideally. I've seen two already after reading the buying guide on here and I gave both a very careful look over. Both had rust which bothers me but the engines seemed really good on both models. I plan to see another one at Prodrift in Kent on Friday 10th in the morning and am kindly asking if a mechanically minded enthusiast wouldn't come along to help check things out that I might not pick up on. This one is advertised on Ebay and Pistonheads, has been there for a while already.

Most pics are on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-Supra-GZ-Twin-Turbo_W0QQitemZ300296000364QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item300296000364&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A7|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Cheers

Mike

I heard that the bloke that owns the garage is a decent guy & that supra has been hanging around for a while he cant get rid of it because no one is buying them, you will probably be able to get the price knocked right down just to get it off his hands. If thats genuine milage then I expect that car is probably in really good condition just go and have a look:d

I test drove this car yesterday. It is the 3rd one I've seen now and easily the best so far although it was covered in greasy trim shine inside everywhere to make it look fresh.. Everything seemed to be good, no rust, no knocking, brakes are good (in the wet) but it gave me a scare when the second turbo kicked in it started fish tailing slightly. Testing in drizzle is not ideal and I'm coming from a FWD Celica that I've had for 7 years so RWD is still new to me. Currently it has no UK plates and has not yet been converted to mph but it is wax undersealed. He isn't into a part exchange on my Celica and didn't seem interested in offers, although I also know it has been for sale a long time.

This is my dilema though. What are your opinions on this? I really like this car and I've dreamed of a Supra ever since seeing one. I'm considering offering him my limit of 6k but!..

1. I have a new 5 month baby but we have a 2nd car that my wife drives.

2. The space in the back of the Supra is even less than my Celica, seats but next to no leg room. The child seat actually fits better into the Supra compared to the Celica, can you believe it!

3. The Supra will cost a bit more than the Celica to run, and at work we are yet to get a new contract after the current one expires. So bit of a job risk going on. I'm 31 and I checked my insurance which is either £500 fully comp or £400 tpft on a Jap Supra TT.

Maybe this a dream I can't really have, and I'm wondering if I should just stay with what I've got. But I really don't want a boring silver Mondeo which would be the sensible purchase ;) My wife likes the Supra but not the practicality of it. Urgh.

looks like a decent car. A decent car of pre facelift age shouldnt have visable rust. My uk spec is a 94 car and has had all these years of salty uk roads and it has a little rust but nothing visable anywhere.

The car also shouldnt fishtail in the wet. Mine doesnt and mine is running almost 400bhp. that one looks like its almost stock. Check out what make tyres are on it. You can probably beat him down on those if its got some shitty ones on. I wouldnt want to buy it on crap rubber for that price :)

Those tyres are from Japan, hard compound he said. I forget what brand they were though. I drove like miss daisy after that, not taking any chances. The 2 previous cars I saw were in the dry and had no traction issues. I've read on here to be really careful in the wet. It put me off at the time but the bug to buy one has come back again, hehe.

What is missing if it's not a full TRD kit? Any pictures of a car with a full kit on for comparison?

Cheers guys

i had this side motion in my old UK TT - there is a page on here (ill try find it) pointing out the suspension arm that will need replacing (both sides) cost about £400-500 to put right if i remember. the movement in the arm was only visable to the eye once the wheel hub was off.

(found it http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=90514&highlight=rear+wobble post 14.)