The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Intermittent boost

Duffman

Car has been suffering from intermittemt boost...its an auto so when you floor it drops a gear but only boosts to 0.3bar ish...its not until it chnages up a gear that the boosts rockets up to 0.9bar. If you play with the throttle instead of flooring it it will find boosta nd then you can gradually press the accelerator.

I was thinking along the lines of VSV's and managed to get a loan of a set (cheers bigbloodyturbo)...done a continuity check on all mine and one seems to be buggered...VSV 90910-12114 (think its the EBV VSV) was giving a reading of 25M ohms compared to all the rests 40 ohms...changed this for the good one I got a loan of and this intermittent boost still exists.

How would I check this? Can I do some sort of pressure test?

5 min ttc mod ;)

It checks all VSV - actuator - pressure tank related problems. If the TTC mod doesn't work then something is fooked. If you rule out the VSV's and the actuators then it leaves the vac pipes and the pressure tank :)

TTC mod seemed to do the trick...car is boosting fine to 1bar now :). What does that tell me in terms of what could be wrong???

Still doing the annoying squeeling noise whenever under boost though

Is it the 1st turbo or the 2nd turbo that is making the noise?

After a fews hours off testing each VSV and swapping them with the ones I got from 'bigbloodyturbo' nothing seemed to sort the problem...even when all VSV's were working correctly. But I am relieved to say that the problem is now fixed but am ashamed to say what it was that was wrong...

...on the IACV VSV the hoses were the wrong way round :complain:

Just shows you that it is very easy to bypass the simple things when trying to diagnose a problem...but they can often in fact be the problem.

Lets just say I have learned a lesson from this experience :D