The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Places to buy higher amperage Alternators.

ManwithSupra

I have the standard Jspec alternator and i think its starting to fail, i have some aftermarket equipment (boost controllers, sound system, and alike) and i think its pushing it a bit so i have two choices.....

Get a 2nd hand refurbished UK spec alternator (as i belive these have a higher amperage)

Get an uprated 100amp one which costs lots of money...

What would be advisable?? any suggestions?

I have the standard Jspec alternator and i think its starting to fail, i have some aftermarket equipment (boost controllers, sound system, and alike) and i think its pushing it a bit so i have two choices.....

Get a 2nd hand refurbished UK spec alternator (as i belive these have a higher amperage)

Get an uprated 100amp one which costs lots of money...

What would be advisable?? any suggestions?

How old is the car? I doubt you will be pushing the alternator, i reckon it will just be a bit past it.

IIRC Uprated alternators are around £400. Brand new stock ones are £150.

How old is the car? I doubt you will be pushing the alternator, i reckon it will just be a bit past it.

IIRC Uprated alternators are around £400. Brand new stock ones are £150.

Car is on a M plate so 1995 - Blimey 14 years old !!

So you reckon the one i have is starting to go on its way out, it still charges the battery and i dont have any battrey warning lights coming on etc.

But when i switch on indicators etc then there is a slight dim on the instrument clsuters and lights at night, also when i have my music a little louder then usual the same happens with the bass frequencies of the song (i dont have a stupidly big sound system just 1 amp and 1 x 10" sub to bring up the bass depth to the stock system) i have checked the earthing points and they are all clean and have good connections and the battery is new so it cant be that.

Car is on a M plate so 1995 - Blimey 14 years old !!

So you reckon the one i have is starting to go on its way out, it still charges the battery and i dont have any battrey warning lights coming on etc.

But when i switch on indicators etc then there is a slight dim on the instrument clsuters and lights at night, also when i have my music a little louder then usual the same happens with the bass frequencies of the song (i dont have a stupidly big sound system just 1 amp and 1 x 10" sub to bring up the bass depth to the stock system) i have checked the earthing points and they are all clean and have good connections and the battery is new so it cant be that.

Definite possibility. People tend to forget the age of these cars as they are so well looked after :)

14 years out of an alternator aint too bad ;)

It just so happens i have a brand new alternator if your interested. Cost me £150 + P&P so you can have it for £150 including paypal, postage etc etc if your interested.

I got it when the car wouldn't charge, turned out it was the battery.