The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Money in stripping down....

jackso11

Hey everyone.

I am one of the unlucky ones who has been made redundant and am thinking about going into stripping down cars and selling parts. Anyone on here do it already and make good money?

I am thinking about starting with supras as I know my way around them pretty well and can advertise parts on here.

Any tips from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

You would need to apply for a trader application before offering any service on here for a start ;)

It's a very competitive business and there isn't much money to be made unless you have a comercial premesis to hold large volumes of parts and a license to purchase the damaged cars (don't forget HRE duty too). You'll be fighting with the big boys to get the Cat C and D cars worth stripping.

You need a license to purchase damaged cars? why do I need that? can't I just buy cars CAT C from auctions and ebay etc..?

Cat C and D are available for the public, but remember that you are competing with industry professionals in the auctions.

Don't forget to register your company before starting this service. There's also at least a 1 year wait for trader applications.

yeah, my friend has 2 double garages and a workshop that are not being used so I will be working there.

Not good enough. ;)

Your local council needs to inspect any premises used for the disposal of vehicles. Obviously there are ways round it if you were prepared to do it on the sly, but expect a nice £10000 fine from EHS if you get caught, and believe me, someone WILL grass you up. You need to have the correct means of disposing of contaminents regardless of what state the cars in. You could break up a mint 58 plate porsche, and still get fined for 'unlicensed' disposal. There are strict laws regarding batteries, engine fluids, blake fluids ect. It cost us £20k+ to become licensed to dispose, and that was 11 years ago, but in doing that we can buy Cat B breakers.

Dont be clouded by thinking its a gold mine, its not. In 2002 we turned over £1.25 million in parts and salvage. Then the law changed, and the EU took over which made buying salvage and breakers near impossible. There will always be some Polish oik prepared to pay £0000 for salvage. If we hadnt bought the garage, we'd be long gone and stacking shelves at Asda.

To give you an example of how things have changed, in 2003, I paid £650 for a Cat B Uk TT 6 speed. In 2009, you cant get one for less than £3000.