The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Water feed on turbo leaking

Duffman

Fitted a new turbo the other week only to find after putting everything back together that the oil feed was leaking onto the 1st decat pipe :blink: very dangerous I know. Anyway it was everything off again to find i had forgot to put the 2nd turbo oil feed gasket on...therefore it was leaking. Bought some instant gasket and applied this along with the gasket itself. With everything back together all seemed well until I was out on sat and pulled over at the side of the road...turned the engine off and within a few seconds there was steam coming from under the bonnet. I went to investigate and it looks like its coming from the water feed pipe on the 1st turbo (sounds like a kettle boiling as its under very high pressure). Going to get some new gaskets from Toyota to fit to both the water feed pipes. Won't take too long to fix as I have had all the piping off that many times now I could do it blindfolded.

Topped it up with water as the temp needle was moving up and down and left it until yesterday where I went out to investigate further...started the car and let it run for a few mins, took a drive up the road and no staem at all. It was only when I turned the engine off that the steam started again.

Anyone any ideas as to why it only seems to be leaking water when the engine's switched off?

Fitted a new turbo the other week only to find after putting everything back together that the oil feed was leaking onto the 1st decat pipe :blink: very dangerous I know. Anyway it was everything off again to find i had forgot to put the 2nd turbo oil feed gasket on...therefore it was leaking. Bought some instant gasket and applied this along with the gasket itself. With everything back together all seemed well until I was out on sat and pulled over at the side of the road...turned the engine off and within a few seconds there was steam coming from under the bonnet. I went to investigate and it looks like its coming from the water feed pipe on the 1st turbo (sounds like a kettle boiling as its under very high pressure). Going to get some new gaskets from Toyota to fit to both the water feed pipes. Won't take too long to fix as I have had all the piping off that many times now I could do it blindfolded.

Topped it up with water as the temp needle was moving up and down and left it until yesterday where I went out to investigate further...started the car and let it run for a few mins, took a drive up the road and no staem at all. It was only when I turned the engine off that the steam started again.

Anyone any ideas as to why it only seems to be leaking water when the engine's switched off?

My only guess for the reason it only leaks when its off is because without the water pump moving the coolant around the water that is already in the block is getting hotter than it usually would as it is no longer passing through the radiator. I don't know whether convection would force water through the water jackets after the pump had stopped or not, maybe someone with a bit more knowledge could answer that.

This kept happening to mine and it was due to the pipes splitting close to the turbo around the jubillee clip. I know I should get some aero quip braided hoses but they are a tad costly. I have managed to stop this temporarily by taking the turbo beanie off as this seemed to focus the heat at the pont of breakage. I hear other members say that upgrading the rad cap moves the pressure elsewhere and I guess this became my least point of resistance.

As BBT stated though. once you switch off it then blows, not so bad in the driveway but once I went to a garage, turned my back, and on turning back noticed the steam pouring out of the bonnet and a crowd gathering.

That's bad enough, but having to fend off an enthusiastic fellow motorist who had grabbed the fire extinguisher and was about to set it off was more of a problem... guess he was also a St Johns Ambulance man in his spare time :rolleyes: