The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Toyo R888 or T1R

RobSheffield

Bit of an odd one.

I have 18x9.5J wheels. Id like to run Toyo R888's on the front as well as the back.

I have 275/35ZR18's on the back, i can get either 245/40 or 255/35 in the R888. To get 255/40 ill need to use T1R's i think.

I believe when rears are 35 fronts need to be 40. I recently bought a pair of T1R in 245/35 and they looked too stretched.

My questions :-

1 - would 245/40 also look just as stretched as 245/35? I think maybe not. These would at least be the right aspect ratio of 40 to complement the rears

2 - would 255/35 be ok with the same aspect ration as the rears? Does it need to be different - and why?

Please, I really need some help from the guys in the know.

My fronts are 9" and i run 255/35/18 Toyo R888 on them and they sit flush.

Im supprised the 245/35/18 looked stretched on a 8.5" rim, i dont

see any harm in running different aspect ratio tyres on a RWD car, id probably go with option 2 if the 245's looked that stretched.

Ive not tested it out but the only thing id be carefull with is hitting a large amount of standing water at speed as they dont have much tread to push the water out of the way, ive driven with them in pouring rain a few times and they have been spot on.

I'd agree with Jamie, R888's + standing water = passenger ride!

I had a go in the rain at Marham last year - not funny - just have to wait for the car to grip again and then start taking action!

I have then on mine all the time, but mines hardly a daily driver anymore.

One point not to forget is that (due to less profile) semi-slick tires (such as R888) give you bad braking in the rain ... I had been very badly suprised when I had to break hard in rain (as someone whas crossing the road by foot without looking around) with Dunlop semi-slick tires that were on the RX8 I was driving. The car took a very long distance to get to stop.

IMO the Toyos are relative junk, Michelin Pilot Sport Cups are an infinitely better tyre, and a lot better in the wet on a road car. It's well worth the extra cost.

I agree on that ... I have them on my car.

The only problem is that Michelin only does certain dimensions (not all).