The mkiv Supra Owners Club

which decat

supra_si

Guest drlee

sorry if i sound like a div but wouldnt it b better,to go 3 inch,no restrictor ring,then use a good boost controller,i did this to one and used aem true boost,it was perfect,i now use aem true boost on my own, d.r

sorry if i sound like a div but wouldnt it b better,to go 3 inch,no restrictor ring,then use a good boost controller,i did this to one and used aem true boost,it was perfect,i now use aem true boost on my own, d.r

A boost controller cannot lower boost, only raise it. You're asking for trouble like that.

well i still have the first cat in place so wont need a restrictor ring, the rets of my pipework from the second cat at the moment if 3" thats all

A bit pointless only doing half a decat job IMO - to really see the benefits you need to remove the huge blockage that is the stock cats.

2.5" pipework mates to 3" just fine. I have this setup on mine, 2.5" decats to Blitz Nur Spec R cat back 3", and it's in no way a restriction at BPU+++ levels (check my 1/4 times!). The restriction is the stock turbos.

Cheers,

Brian.

A boost controller cannot lower boost, only raise it. You're asking for trouble like that.

Is this not in the faq yet? lol

In fairness i think this is one of the first times this has raised its head in a while ;)

Back to the original query, i always go for 3" everything.... just in case i decide to "upgrade" later in life. One less thing to worry about.

As said though, get a 1bar restrictor ring and a boost controller to do it properly. If you get 3" everything and then a 1.2bar restrictor ring it won't be an exact science :)

Is this not in the faq yet? lol

In fairness i think this is one of the first times this has raised its head in a while ;)

I vaguely recall going into detail on how turbo systems work / why J specs overboost and why you can't lower the boost with an EBC on one of the threads - a good one to search for drlee.

i always go for 3" everything....

Bet the wife is disappointed!!! :p

just in case i decide to "upgrade" later in life. One less thing to worry about.

As said though, get a 1bar restrictor ring and a boost controller to do it properly. If you get 3" everything and then a 1.2bar restrictor ring it won't be an exact science :)

Not a lot of point in the 3" decats as I said earlier - you end up with more overboosting and a bigger slag of a mod restrictor ring to fudge fix it, and it's not really futureproofing since going single requires a bespoke downpipe / decat anyways to mate with your cat back exhaust.

Cheers,

Brian.

Bet the wife is disappointed!!! :p

Walked into that one lol

Not a lot of point in the 3" decats as I said earlier - you end up with more overboosting and a bigger slag of a mod restrictor ring to fudge fix it, and it's not really futureproofing since going single requires a bespoke downpipe / decat anyways to mate with your cat back exhaust.

Cheers,

Brian.

Damn, forgot about that. Thats a very good point, if you go single you will need a custom DP anyway lol.