The mkiv Supra Owners Club

paint help and opinions

dr_jekyll

hello again everyone,

can anybody tell me the difference between cellulose, acrylic and sythetic paints?

i have changed the colour of my car 3 times with cellulose paint but its expensive and i can get sythetic and acrylic cheaper

would usinf one of the others be a bad choice?

also the car has been light silver , white and black but its been chiped and marked so im thinking of a dark gunmeatal grey, any opinions ?

thanks

Supraloopy would probably know, he's offline now.

It's not easy to get any definate information on the paint types available on google as I've tried.

I used some 2 pack paint with a nice Devilbiss spray gun that I bought to spray one of my side skirts, it gave an exceptional finish straight from the gun. :)

Most automotive paints used for refinishing (apart from water base) are acrylic or urethane that require a hardener, they are hardwaring and retain good gloss and colour retention.

Synthetic and cellulose are both now pretty much obsolete outside dedicated classic restorers, as they are both difficult to work with and are not very durable.