The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Can i do this?

hp006

I want to fit HID to the car, will it pass a MOT if i do? From what i have read you need adjustabable headlamps which the supe dont have.

I want to de cat the car, again will it pass an MOT? I dont really fancy climbing under the car each year to change them back and forth.

I've also been reading about the brakes, i have ordered the braided hoses from the group buy. Are the standard discs that good or will drilled/grooved improve them alot more?

I want to fit HID to the car, will it pass a MOT if i do? From what i have read you need adjustabable headlamps which the supe dont have.

as mentioned, depends on MOT tester, mine passes aslong as they work, and have the correct pattern.

I want to de cat the car, again will it pass an MOT? I dont really fancy climbing under the car each year to change them back and forth.

depends on the age of the car, and the tester understanding the MOT rules regarding imports (assuming yours is an import)

Import cars upto 1995 do not require Cats for MOT, 1995 onwards they do.

I've also been reading about the brakes, i have ordered the braided hoses from the group buy. Are the standard discs that good or will drilled/grooved improve them alot more?

Is that correct? if so great... can you confirm this so i can print it out and stick it in my glove box :D

if you follow : http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository/7.3%20Emmissions%20-%20Spark%20Ignition%20-%20Passenger%20Cars%201992-2002.pdf

the MOT tester will need to have your car details engine code, chassis number/vin etc.. to get an exact match on the database in order to carry out a cat test, as its an import, there in no match, so they are supposed to carry out a no cat test.

most MOT testerss just see the car as a 1993 onwards car so carry out a cat test...

HID as an after market fit seem to fall through a loophole that affects all new cars which must have self levelling and a wash system.

Your car will fail the test without the cat

Grooved discs are better that drilled as they suffer less cracking and clean the pads better than plain ones

OK thats helpful, now to put a spanner in the works.

The car is a 93 na import but has had a 95 M reg UK tt engine put in. This mean as UK engine it will be tested for emissions?

An older engine fitted to a vehicle will be tested to the age of the engine (evidence needed). A newer engine fitted to an older car will be tested to the age of the car i.e whichever is the oldest.

So should not be tested? Correct??

I also spoke to an MOT testing station who said that if the car came into the country with cats then it would be tested for CATS.

Now im really confused as to what can and cant be done.

Edited by hp006 (see edit history)

It's very much a grey area on cat's+imports

Have a read here - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43072

Its not though, thats opinions. Up till 1995 imports do not require to have a CAT in as the test cannot be completed.

My MOT tester tried to fail my MR2 until i pointed out that he was testing it against innacurate data. He said he couldn't pinpoint the info for my car and i explained that was because it didn't exist. Eventually he conceeded that if he wasn't able to tie up the data he wouldn't be able to do the test. Not being able to do the test is not catagorised as a fail.

Its the same with certain leaks. An MOT tester is not allowed to remove anything from the car to do checks. If your brake pipe is leaking yet hidden, he can't fail you for leaking brake pipes as he would have to remove a panel to see that. As long as the brakes perform to the standard they should (which they probably wouldn't anyway) the car will pass.

I got all this info through personal experience and through conversing with someone who was going through the testing to become certified. Its actually amazing the amount of red tape MOT testers have to work their way through.

my interpretation was that if the engine/chassis has been sold as a available car in the uk which the supra has then it will be tested against these guidelines. So the Jspec TT has had the same chassis/engine sold in the uk so this can be tested where as the n/a wasn't sold in the uk so no data will be recorded for this.

my interpretation was that if the engine/chassis has been sold as a available car in the uk which the supra has then it will be tested against these guidelines. So the Jspec TT has had the same chassis/engine sold in the uk so this can be tested where as the n/a wasn't sold in the uk so no data will be recorded for this.

Its not the same engine though, different cam's and turbo's... at least. I'm not sure, the valves might also be different.

I agree but on paper it will still be down as a JZA80/2JZ-GTE, think it would be one to argue with the MOT tester about

the first time i used the garage - he asked me if it was an import.. he knew about the import thing and explained it to me. :D