The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How much more is a manual worth than an auto?

Steviekid

To cut a long story short, I had an accident at work around five months ago and seriously damaged my left knee. I've been off work since and going insane with boredom, partly because I can't drive more than four or five miles and live in a semi-isolated area. If the next referral I go for is unproductive and recovery looks like it might take a long long time (if indeed it's ever going to come right) then I might look into the idea of swapping my car for an auto so at least I'd be able to get around a bit better.

Question is, how much should I be asking to swap my car for the equivalent age/spec automatic? Without going into too much detail my car is a 94 black RZ with normal BPU uprgrades, TRD wing, alloys etc.

Please note this is just an idea at the moment as I really want to keep mine if at all possible so no offers please!

Dean's at it again:eyebrows:

around 2k more for a manual

More than 2k mate, it costs more than that just for the transplant and having the 6spd as standard makes it more valuable.

I've seen plenty of auto's go for 4k but very very very few 6spd's go for 6k.

If your thinking of the cost of a gearbox your putting it in the same catagory as a TT transplant in an N/A. They aren't worth TT money.

True - but its a straight line "race" which is boring too.

ZERO skill involved, not even sure why the auto is even called a Supra :)

Harsh, very harsh

I have had both, and had auto NA, TT and Single, its a great box

I think you give the skill involved in a drag launch an injustice, I think it takes a lot of skill to get it right, the Auto box helps the novice as getting through the 4 gears in a Supra is a challenge in my experience

Harsh, very harsh

I think you give the skill involved in a drag launch an injustice, I think it takes a lot of skill to get it right, the Auto box helps the novice as getting through the 4 gears in a Supra is a challenge in my experience

Was being a bit flippant in regards to Drag-racing - sure there is "some" skill, however, Auto and Drag racing - might as well drive it using a remote control from the comfort of your chair :D

Harsh, very harsh

:yeahthat:

Was being a bit flippant in regards to Drag-racing - sure there is "some" skill, however, Auto and Drag racing - might as well drive it using a remote control from the comfort of your chair :D

Just out of interest how many times have you been drag racing in your supra? and if so what times did you get?

I would only say around 1.5k more for the manual In my opinion mate

You guys are the ones on the crack, seriously. Check the classifieds and show me a difference of 1.5k like for like.

Not in a million years. I've seen facelift Auto's go for 6k, are you telling me you have seen facelift 6spds going for 7.5k?

I'm hoping you lot are on an april 1st windup.

Auto's are easier but not faster. There are guys with BPU 6spd's that have faster times than TDR, its all about how good they are on the drag strip. I've never even been to a 1/4 mile day in my car so i would be hopeless unless i was in an auto.

IMO auto is not better, just easier for the 1/4 mile.