The mkiv Supra Owners Club

greetings from austria (got some newbie questions)

Guest schnukums

Guest schnukums

hey there!

Doing some research i just stumbled across your board and so i registered...:salute:

so i'm gonna introduce myself a bit.

Originally from russia i live in austria right now. I'm 24 and doing my degree in real estate business right now and for the time being i'm driving a barchetta, which is a fun ride and pretty affordable as well...

I've been in :love: with supra way before it was shown on f&f... but since i've seen the prices dropping dramaticaly i'm infected with the supra-virus...

Since i'm a newbie i have several questions (some quite silly, some probably not so much...)

lets start off:

i've been looking on the internet for used supras and found lots of uk-supras with milage ranging btw. 60000 and 120000 for less than 4k... this was a big surprise since supras have been always somewhere around 30k € on german market. So my question is, what's up with that? usually this kind of priced cars tend to be pretty worn down by lots of owners (specially if these are sportscars)... so are the budget supras just some remnants of a great car or will they survive for an other decade???

I've read the general supra guide here and would like to say a huge THX for making this guide, it shed some light on the jungle of options and versions...

I'm looking for an every-day-ride so i guess the n/a is the better choice, isn't it?

The guide said that premium fuel is a must-have but it was speaking of the TT version, does that apply for the n/a too???

This valve sealing service stuff which can be quite expensive when it appears, does that apply only to the tt or to the n/a too?

which are the "real" typical faults of the supras? i've read about the heating-matrix which gives up every now and than but are there more(specially with the n/a spec)?

what about rust? are there any critical spots and places that are affected?

what about the regular service-work that has to be done? how often should the belts be changed? how expensive is it? what happens if you don't change the cam-belt(is it like mazda engines where nothing too bad happens and you only have to replace the belt or is the engine gone if it happens)?

what about the pricing of other spare parts?breaks?clutch?shocks?springs?

what about the look and feel of used supras? are the materials used in the interior still shiny or do they wear down pretty soon?

well i guess it were quite a lot of question marks, hope i can get the answes:D

ps: since english is not my native tongue i hope you don't mind some misspelling and not the perfectly right expressions, but i hope you will understand my writing ;)

edit: i've forgotten one important question. the guide says that pretty much everything can be retrofitted, so my question is, can the targa-roof (aerotop) be retrofitted????

Edited by schnukums (see edit history)

hey there!

Doing some research i just stumbled across your board and so i registered...:salute:

so i'm gonna introduce myself a bit.

Originally from russia i live in austria right now. I'm 24 and doing my degree in real estate business right now and for the time being i'm driving a barchetta, which is a fun ride and pretty affordable as well...

I've been in :love: with supra way before it was shown on f&f... but since i've seen the prices dropping dramaticaly i'm infected with the supra-virus...

Since i'm a newbie i have several questions (some quite silly, some probably not so much...)

lets start off:

i've been looking on the internet for used supras and found lots of uk-supras with milage ranging btw. 60000 and 120000 for less than 4k... this was a big surprise since supras have been always somewhere around 30k € on german market.

So my question is, what's up with that? usually this kind of priced cars tend to be pretty worn down by lots of owners (specially if these are sportscars)... so are the budget supras just some remnants of a great car or will they survive for an other decade???

Its a supply and demand thing, lots of Supras came to the uk meaning the price has fallen through the florr, coupled with the credit crunch.

Although UK cars tend to hold their value slightly better they are still low compared to the continent. there are some good cars for the money but also some dogs, as usual its buyer beware and if unsure take somebody who knows them well. they can be expensive !

I've read the general supra guide here and would like to say a huge THX for making this guide, it shed some light on the jungle of options and versions...

I'm looking for an every-day-ride so i guess the n/a is the better choice, isn't it?

Not really, the TT if well maintained is a good everyday car, there isn't a huge amount of difference in fuel economy between the 2 (if you aren't heavy footed)

The guide said that premium fuel is a must-have but it was speaking of the TT version, does that apply for the n/a too???

I know some who run N/A's on regular fuel without issue :search:

This valve sealing service stuff which can be quite expensive when it appears, does that apply only to the tt or to the n/a too?

which are the "real" typical faults of the supras? i've read about the heating-matrix which gives up every now and than but are there more(specially with the n/a spec)?

what about rust? are there any critical spots and places that are affected?

As the cars are getting older then the suspension wears out making them feel like boats, to replace the lot you are looking at about £1k although you would then have a car that felt like new again. Rust can occur along the bottom of the rear quarter panels, and at the hinges for the tailgate. turbos do blow and its a bit of a mare to fit them although there are guides for doing so and with the right tools it is a competent diy job.

brake calipers (particulalrly j spec can seize, there are refurb kits to get them as new again though (around £40.

The N/A is a solid car (suspension and brake issues apply) You don't hear of many n?a blow ups really. But N/A engines are cheap and plentiful as replacements.

what about the regular service-work that has to be done? how often should the belts be changed? how expensive is it? what happens if you don't change the cam-belt(is it like mazda engines where nothing too bad happens and you only have to replace the belt or is the engine gone if it happens)?

Have a search for a servicing interval schedule thats been posted on here to get an idea of what to do and when

what about the pricing of other spare parts?breaks?clutch?shocks?springs?

Brake disks are around £120 per pair,

Shocks £450 a set

what about the look and feel of used supras? are the materials used in the interior still shiny or do they wear down pretty soon?

They start to get tatty and worn as the mileage creeps up and also dependant on the owner too.

The replacements are easy to buy though and you can return the look of the car to new fairly easily.

well i guess it were quite a lot of question marks, hope i can get the answes:D

ps: since english is not my native tongue i hope you don't mind some misspelling and not the perfectly right expressions, but i hope you will understand my writing ;)

You have a very good grasp of the language and put some of the english members to shame

edit: i've forgotten one important question. the guide says that pretty much everything can be retrofitted, so my question is, can the targa-roof (aerotop) be retrofitted????

Nope, its a lot of work and the aerotop has extra strengthening to compensate.

If you want one get an aerotop to start with

I think thats some of your questions answered.

Good luck with the search.

If you see a car in the uk that takes your fancy post up the link to the advert and im sure somebody local could have a look for you before you committed to a trip here.

Guest schnukums

YEAH! thanks! thats a lot of great answers to many of my questions...

but i still have some more :D

@TT vs. NA:

guess i'll still stick with the NA version. the taxation here in austria is pretty heavy. you pay monthly insurance-tax for horsepower when importing you have to pay a fuel-consuption tax (16% of the price) plus a co2 which is 25€ per gram co2 over a certain leven (i think its somewhere about 180g per km):banghead:

speaking of which: what is the average consuption of the supra in a city??? btw do you know which co2-values the na supra has (i need the g/km)?

@servicing interval, ill give it a shot and use the search-function:cool: thx again

@spareparts: are they easy to get or do you have to import them from overseas?

@milage: i know its always hard to say since it really depends on the owner but is there a certain milage where you better dont touch a supra???

@aerotop: there are no n/a aerotops with manual shift (which is mandatory), are there?

Guest schnukums

thanx for the warm welcome!

thx for the info!

by now i figured out that a supra is cheaper to buy, cheaper in maintenance than my fiat... and this even more makes me want to have one :D:rolleyes::eyebrows: