The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coolant Problem

Fitz

Right, I have a slight problem. I'm not too technically minded so bare with me.

I was driving the supra last week Wednesday (25th) [its my day to day car] and I looked down and saw that the temperature gauge was creeping up unusually high (as it normally stays at 50%) so I pulled into halfords which was conveniently local and checked the coolant level...

It was empty for some reason which made me think *that's strange* so anyway I bought some coolant from Halfords and topped it up to "Full". Left it running for about 15-20 mins to allow it to run through the system and hooray 50% again.

So Problem solved... oh no. Today, same situtation driving along and the temperauture gauge is creeping to the red. So, I pulled over, turned the engine off and checked under the bonnet. The coolant is empty..AGAIN from this morning???

Another walk to Halfords as I didn't fancy taking the car in it's condition, bought another litre of coolant (same brand) and topped it up. Left it ideling for about 15-20mins. Great solved again...no. I've just got home to see how much coolant is remaining....and guess what It's empty again...

I can't see any signs of the pipes leaking or any damage to the radiator.

What should I be doing/checking? Do I need to do something with the radiator?

Also, there appears to be some kind of a 'stain' which I'm sure wasnt there before. It looks as if though something has splattered and dried (see attached photos) any ideas what this could be? Oh, just so people know it's a '94 jspec n/a auto.

30032009323.jpg

30032009324.jpg

Any help would be grately appreciated.

Thanks,

Cliff.

Well, one time after i noticed it was creeping up as I pulled off into Halfords, the temp. dropped back down again.

Furthermore, it made a sort of "emptying bottle" noise like a dispenser sound (i.e water vendor when you pull the leaver down to release water).

There might be a hairline fracture in one of the coolnt hoses that only lets coolant out when the engine's up to temperature. Either have a good look around when the engine's warm/hot as suggested by tooquicktostop, or you can take it to a trusted mechanic who can perform a pressure test on the cooling system.

Also check the nasty things: does the engine oil look OK on the dipstick and under the oil filler cap? You're looking for mayonnaise-like deposits, which can indicate head gasket failure (HGF sometimes means the coolant mixes with the engine oil, producing the mayo-like substance).

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

But, I havent checked it to see when/if the level decreases whilst it's at full temp.

I would do that. Ensure the coolant level is topped up (so you don't boil the engine dry), take it for a run, park up at home leaving the egine running, and spend a good few minutes looking around for any drips on the ground below the engine bay, or any steam escaping.

Where is the water pump based? Also, sorry if this is a silly question. Is it safe to open the radiator cap (when cold). I haven't opened it yet so no need to be alarmed.

You havnt opened you're radiator cap?

Does that mean you are checking the coolant expansion tank?

Indeed I was, Me and my Dad just went to look at the car and filled up the radiator/expansion tank as the radiator didn't seem to be filled up to the top.

Apparently it seems that the water is not being passed around. Maybe a broken water pump?

Cliff, I'm not familiar with GE's - otherwise I would have you round for a cuppa and a look around. I can however offer an educated guess.

That spray is indeed coolant that's dried up, I had the same substance appear when my rad pipe was leaking.

Are you getting heat from the blowers at all? Reason I ask is that the thermostat that controls coolant flow into the nether regions of the heater system can sometimes fail with age. Does the temp drop as you put some load on the engine?

The expansion tank's purpose is to 'pull' coolant into the engine as it cools after switching off, as a result keeping air out of the system and filled to the brim. If it is emptying after you park, then that would explain the gurgling. This would suggest that the rest of the system is on the dry side.

Another simple and common problem associated with overheating can also be a buggered rad cap, which actually helps regulate the coolant pressure in the system.

Do have a look under the rad cap and tell us what you see.

Edited by Ben-san (see edit history)

Well, one time after i noticed it was creeping up as I pulled off into Halfords, the temp. dropped back down again.

Furthermore, it made a sort of "emptying bottle" noise like a dispenser sound (i.e water vendor when you pull the leaver down to release water).

Water pump :thumbs: around £180 for new installed

Hey Ben, Have you been on your trip as of yet?

Well when I opened the rad cap I could just see the coolant at the bottom with no water in it.

Are you getting heat from the blowers at all?

It does seem to heat up in the car even though the heaters are off.

Does the temp drop as you put some load on the engine?

Indeed, the level on the temp gauge (after rising) will normally fall when I start to accelerate, although I do it cautiously not to cause damage. But it will rise again.

Hey Ben, Have you been on your trip as of yet?

Leaving Thursday morning dewd. Might even pop into Sepang for the GP :D

Well when I opened the rad cap I could just see the coolant at the bottom with no water in it.

It does seem to heat up in the car even though the heaters are off.

Indeed, the level on the temp gauge (after rising) will normally fall when I start to accelerate, although I do it cautiously not to cause damage. But it will rise again.

You know what, regardless of these things, there is still coolant leaking from somewhere, and Dean has more than likely hit it on the head. Garage time, my friend!

AFR is in Gatwick - shouldn't be too big a bill to have it flat-bedded to from Saarf Laaandon?