The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Can this wheel be repaired?

razza

yep buckled rim on the outside, not just a dent, oh well, skip it is then...would this affect the tyre as not many miles on it at all?

This isn't the wheel I'm selling in my other thread in case anyone wondered, it was another one which came with the replacement set I bought.

i have repaired a wheel like that before. used a mallet and a block of wood to do it. (cos the wheels werent great to begin with)

took it down and got it balanced afterwards and it was fine ;)

the whole thing wasnt buckled though, just the rim bent out like that, the missus said she thought she hit a badger but i think it was a pothole although the rim didnt have any scuff marks, it was just bent like that

Consider that you have passed enormous amounts of energy through the side wall of the tyre to damage the alloy like that.

Now would you go 70mph down the motorway knowing you had a potentially VERY badly damaged side wall on that tyre.

For your own life and that of others on the road. Throw the tyre away. The consequences do not bear thinking about.

My mate has just told me to tell you to ring the council and terll them you have done it on a pot hole, but you need to find a hole near you and they will pay you out for a new wheel or even a set as they do not make these wheel any more;)

I'd be supprised if the tyres any good, it will have damage to the the sidewall which could result in the tyre failing.

I personally wouldnt risk it as a side wall failure is about as bad as it gets and it'll probably fail at high speed.

If the tyre is still inflated check for any sidewall damage, over a period of time it could start to bulge out where the impact occured

From a couple of posts here I'm not going to risk the tyre and will bin it as it did have a bulge when fully inflated but thought it was because the wheel was out.

Safety is more important and I'd hate to be responsible for anything happening on it.

Now where's that council number...

From a couple of posts here I'm not going to risk the tyre and will bin it as it did have a bulge when fully inflated but thought it was because the wheel was out.

Safety is more important and I'd hate to be responsible for anything happening on it.

If its got a bulge then the bin is the best place for it.

Definetly worth a try with the local council but youll need pics of the hole with measurements etc

50/50 Split:eyebrows: