The mkiv Supra Owners Club

doh aerotop bolts

supra steveo

well today my worst dream came true i rounded off the front left bolt on the roof, it had been playin up for a while now and today it just wouldnt budge the the rachet turned and the bolt never , so what the hell do i do now ,i have done a search to so if anyone has had any problems like this i would like to know about it

cheers

Dissemble the roof and order the new part for that bolt.

To get the roof off you could weld a part on to that bolt to get it off ? Once its off then you put the new part in when you re-assemble it.

Only way I can think of getting around it.

yup, best idea is to weld another strong bolt to it and try that way.

i think they do a little tool for that in places like travis perkins. its a reverse thread thing and it cuts into the bolt like a drill bit then you just undo it. might be worth taking a look.

i cant remember what they call them though

i think they do a little tool for that in places like travis perkins. its a reverse thread thing and it cuts into the bolt like a drill bit then you just undo it. might be worth taking a look.

i cant remember what they call them though

These are called extractors,I have a set of these myself!

Had a good look at mine for you. I would not think the bolts are that hard. It would have been too much trouble to remove them if damaged so I suggest (as others) have suggested that you drill into them and use a screw extractor. Just be aware that if you drill too large you will spread the bolt rather than bite into and withdraw. That would be even worse. I would see what size extractors you can get hold of first before you try anything.

Drill slowly and carefully. Dont forget you will drive the bolt in harder if you go at it like an animal ulnless you use a left handed drill bit (yes they do exist)

good luck

Chris

Guest gzaerojon

How about using a slightly larger star bit and tapping it into the rounded hole? Maybe even tap it in using an impact drive? That's probably the route I would go first.

Also I have a brand new front roof bolt, but I only have the one if it's any good to you?