The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Soon to be Supra owner, need insurance advise for young driver.

Guest ugp

Hi Guys / Girls

My names Ben, I'm a soon to be Supra owner. I've always wanted one after walking into Vine Place with my father. Now I've got a new job, I can finally afford one (an NA of course :D). Since im only 19, soon to be 20, insurance is proving to be a rather large problem for me. My MR2 is costing around 700 a year, but the cheapest I've found for the Supra is £2500 :(

So far I've tried:

• Admiral
  • Elephant
  • Sky
  • Bell
  • Endsleigh

Are there any others I should try? Most people wont touch an under 25 on an imported car.

Any help / advice would be much appreciated.

Please ignore the title it should be advice, not advise, was half asleep and now cant change it.

Ben

Edited by ugp (see edit history)

Guest SupraTroopa

It's because they are high powered sports cars. I found one of the main things that affect insurance (apart from age) is the postcode you live in.

I would suggest looking at classic car policies but they generally require you to be 21 AFAIK. Might be worth looking into though

You'll be exceptionally lucky to get a three-figure quote at just 19.

You pay an excess of several hundred pounds just for being under 21 (regardless of how many years NCB you have). An imported motor is classed as higher risk too.

Good luck.

Guest TALLARDONISLIAR
Hi Guys / Girls

My names Ben, I'm a soon to be Supra owner. I've always wanted one after walking into Vine Place with my father. Now I've got a new job, I can finally afford one (an NA of course :D). Since im only 19, soon to be 20, insurance is proving to be a rather large problem for me. My MR2 is costing around 700 a year, but the cheapest I've found for the Supra is £2500 :(

So far I've tried:

• Admiral
  • Elephant
  • Sky
  • Bell
  • Endsleigh

Are there any others I should try? Most people wont touch an under 25 on an imported car.

Ben

How long since you passed your test and how much no-claims do you have ? Sky require 2 years of both !!

Guest TALLARDONISLIAR
Hi Guys / Girls

So far I've tried:

• Admiral
  • Elephant
  • Sky
  • Bell
  • Endsleigh

Ben

Elephant are very good but you have to pay the full year in 1 payment because they add on around 50% to pay monthly !! if it`s modified you have big problems but if not then go to confused.com or moneysupermarket or insure your motor and put your details in they will do the search and save you alot of time for starters , i have looked at a net based company called ecar insurance and also emodified car insurance and they where very competetive but i don`t know how reliable they are if you have a claim !! Hope this is of some help !! tell me if you get a good deal or quote please Ben !!

Try getting quotes for a UK TT as already said. It will probably be cheaper.

Good luck...... and be carefull the TT's are bloody fast cars and not at all forgiving.

Hi Guys / Girls

So far I've tried:

• Admiral
  • Elephant
  • Sky
  • Bell
  • Endsleigh

Ben

;)

Hi mate,

I've just bought a TT Supra from Vine place, which N/A are you looking at as they have quite a few atm, we seen a gorgeous Royal Saphire Purple facelift there with BBS alloys, probably would have looked at that myself had it of been a TT.

Insurance wise, I would of only recomended Elephant as they've been the most competitive with my last 3 cars! I'm 24 with 4 years NCB, it's pretty affordable at the moment but I'm expecting a nice drop when I turn 25!

Good luck with your search mate :)

You'll be exceptionally lucky to get a three-figure quote at just 19.

You pay an excess of several hundred pounds just for being under 21 (regardless of how many years NCB you have). An imported motor is classed as higher risk too.

Good luck.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. I almost forgot my manners.

;)

we seen a gorgeous Royal Saphire Purple facelift there with BBS alloys, probably would have looked at that myself had it of been a TT.

Thats the one :-)

Do you live with your parents at all?

If so, try insuring under your dad's name, or another member of your family who has some no claims built up. They could name you as a named driver.

Assuming that you can 'proove' that they are the 'main' driver and you have less usage of the car. (I think this has been discussed before on this forum.... but might be worth thinking about if it is a possibility).

I insured my J-Spec N/A Auto when i turned 19 with 1 years NCB and it cost me £1150.

It's up for renewal on April 25th. I'll be 20 with 2 years NCB so i hope it goes down!

Do an online quote on Moneysupermarket. I got the best quote from Autotrader which insured me through Zenith.

Edit: If you need anymore details let me know :)

Edited by CarlM (see edit history)

How an earth are you guys getting insurance so cheap!

Ive tried,

admiral

elephant

esure

adrian flux

Sky

Bell

moneysupermarket.com

gocompare.com

confused.com

tiger.com

Im 19, had license for 2 years, (car) 3 years no claims (one transfered from bike). I had one accident in 2007, 1700 quids damage. No points, and live in northumberland, fairly low risk postcode.

The cheapest I've had so far is £2500 tpft or 5000 fully comp! :(

add yir mum or dad as a named 2nd driver, there old and have expierience :)

cat 1 alarm + imob

get a garage

its not modified

its really just a 1.1 corsa with a bodykit :) thats fucks up the above lol

tell em you only do a few thousand miles instead of 20k a year :)

if you wait till end of month they usually have targets to make for bonus and can do certain things to make it cheaper lol

or become a lassie which usually is cheaper to :(

WOW, just been quoted 1700 though autotrader TPFT.

I had thought of a TT, but I cant afford to buy one. My current car is an tweaked MR2 turbo, so should only be a mild step up from that.