The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is this buff any good for in house detailing?

Scott

Having a quick browse on ebay for a polisher and came across this. Looks the part in comparison to others but thought i would check to make sure. Of course its not for professional use just for the odd polish on the weekends :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=270363488610&Category=30923&_trksid=p3907.m29&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

There are high odds you will burn paint with this one if you are not proffesionall detailer and do not know how to work out with rotary polisher. I would advice you to get orbital polisher Porter Cable or similiar. They are more expensive but with quality comes also safety of your paint and they usually not break :) Good starting point will be detailing forum http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/

and autopia site

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/

Regards

Konrad

There are high odds you will burn paint with this one if you are not proffesionall detailer and do not know how to work out with rotary polisher. I would advice you to get orbital polisher Porter Cable or similiar. They are more expensive but with quality comes also safety of your paint and they usually not break :) Good starting point will be detailing forum http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/

and autopia site

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/

Regards

Konrad

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=66024

Have been looking at that buddy, hence wondering if that one would be good enough for a beginner.

I'll have a look at the polisher you mentioned cheers :)

Looks to be similar to the silverline rotary polishers. I've got a silverline orange as it has the slow start feature. As long as you are careful and keep the pad moving you won't burn the paint (and don't go higher than about 2/3 of the max speed it can go), common sense is the key here, and research how soft paint can be (and spend an inordinate amount of time on detailing world!!!!)

I'd invest in some proper pads as well rather than what they supply with it, I have chemical guys Edge pads, but it's personal preference really.

As for the 'breaking' comment, mine has been fine for coming up to 3 years use now

I just use a cheapy like the one on ebay, but i do have quite a bit of experience, however if your just using a fine cut liquid and use common sense you are unlikely to do any damage, i have tried to burn paint in the past, and it takes some doing.

This is my thinking to be honest. I'm not going to jump in balls out and go nuts with it. The car is in for a re-spray so it will just be for a little buff with some finishing pads that i will be doing every few months. I certainly wouldn't be going for all out paint restoration lol.

Reading the guide in detailing world it seems that as long as it is variable etc it should be decent enough. Obviously its not going to be top of the range but, as said, i'm not looking for paint restoration.

If my car gets to the point where it needs a proper job done, i would be paying someone :)

If you concentrate, take your time and apply basic common sense theres no reason why you couldnt get on fine with the silverline on ebay. Being good with your hands and tools would give you an advantage. There are however better rotary's on the market, but the price will increase, as is always the way.

So you are completely safe, something like the Meguiars G220, around £150 or the Kestrel, around £90 could also be a few to consider.

Polishes and of course some 'decent' pads will be extra and is worth making the best choice you can for your type of paint, to ensure you get the best results.

An example of a few together http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/cat_68.html

The kit Peter has posted could also be a great starting point for you to make a saving

If you concentrate, take your time and apply basic common sense theres no reason why you couldnt get on fine with the silverline on ebay. Being good with your hands and tools would give you an advantage. There are however better rotary's on the market, but the price will increase, as is always the way.

So you are completely safe, something like the Meguiars G220, around £150 or the Kestrel, around £90 could also be a few to consider.

Polishes and of course some 'decent' pads will be extra and is worth making the best choice you can for your type of paint, to ensure you get the best results.

An example of a few together http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/cat_68.html

The kit Peter has posted could also be a great starting point for you to make a saving

Thats the thing though, for the actual polisher i wasn't looking to spend that much money. The one i have listed on ebay is going for £50 posted. I would definitely spend a bit more money on pads and compounds but i will definitely only be doing light work.

I'm having a hard enough time talking the wife round as it is ;)

If i thought for one minute that i would use it regularly and get full use out of it i would definitely spend the money to get the mentioned kit. I will have a think about it though.

Thanks for the help folks :)

I've got a UDM, PC and a Silverline Rotary and wouldn't touch a customers car with a rotary, always use the UDM or PC, only use the rotary on my own cars but that's after playing with them for 20yrs now ;)

As Peter said, it only takes a split second and you've gone and screwed your paint up.

The Kestral really is a good bit of kit for the money and well worth the extra expense.

I've got a UDM, PC and a Silverline Rotary and wouldn't touch a customers car with a rotary, always use the UDM or PC, only use the rotary on my own cars but that's after playing with them for 20yrs now ;)

As Peter said, it only takes a split second and you've gone and screwed your paint up.

The Kestral really is a good bit of kit for the money and well worth the extra expense.

The one for sale seems to have a plug for 110v, is that the norm?

It is for the pc yes, you will be able to generally get most others on 110 or 240. The 110's you will also therefore need to buy a transformer for.

Dont forget to invest in a good backing plate as well as the ones that come with them are not great :)

Cheapest option for you that i see is the link Peter posted mate, thats a fair amount of cash saved there with 3 bottles of new Menzera, loads of pads to keep you going, backing plates. But sadly it does need a transformer.

Although to be fair you could probably pick up a new Kestrel (no transformer), couple of bottles of polish, a polishing pad and finishing pad for less than he is asking.

Trouble is even though you say you just want it for light finishing work, once you get to grips with it, you will want to do more correcting. Which will end in more cost with different pads and polish eventually :)

Tough choices ahead :)

Edited by Stonkin (see edit history)

Cheapest option for you that i see is the link Peter posted mate, thats a fair amount of cash saved there with 3 bottles of new Menzera, loads of pads to keep you going, backing plates. But sadly it does need a transformer.

Although to be fair you could probably pick up a new Kestrel (no transformer), couple of bottles of polish, a polishing pad and finishing pad for less than he is asking.

Trouble is even though you say you just want it for light finishing work, once you get to grips with it, you will want to do more correcting. Which will end in more cost with different pads and polish eventually :)

Tough choices ahead :)

If/When that happens i honestly won't mind forking out a bit of extra cash. If i start to do my own work and make it worthwhile then i'll spend the money on the products accordingly.

Its looking like a 240v kestrel, 3 pads and 3 cutting compounds. I'll also need to get a claybar and some wax.

Thanks for the help and advice folks :)

But you really want to use quality products to ensure as much safety as possible and also to make them more comfortable to use

Totally agree but I would hasten to add that it does not mean the expensive ones are the best ;)

Some of the hype and bullshit that goes with the detailing products is unbelievable :rolleyes:

The biggest thing to bear in mind is that the final finish is all in the preparation, don't rush anything and take your time.

Get some decent lighting as well because what looks great to the eye in a garage can look like a dogs dinner once the sun hits it :( A cheap LED torch will do most folk in their driveways.

The cloths you use can make or break all your hard work, don't use any old crap, a good quality microfibre cloth is a god send.

PS, if you get the gear, feel free to bring it up to my place and I'll show you how to get the best from it.