The mkiv Supra Owners Club

plastic headlight polish

Paul372

Guest iangibson57

Hi,

I got this and it did make a difference to my lights they do look a lot better now than they did.

Going to get new glass headlights next year but i thought this would do till then :)

If it's for removing the yellowing (99.9% sure it is :p)

I found T-cut on a soft cloth worked reasonably well

However, I was still in doubt and had the tools at my disposal so I used a random orbit sander with a 4000 grit pad with 3M cutting polish and I have to say, the results are superb! They look like glass! I think the next time though I will use polish and wax afterwards just to seal the finish in! :)

If you want to do it properly-properly

(this involves sandpaper)

First start with a 1500 grit sandpaper and water, go over the whole light evenly making sure that you cover all the lens.

Next go to 2000 grit sandpaper (wet) and repeat the same procedure. (light lens will be opaque white now, very scary at first)

3rd, using a cutting compound and a bit of water, run over the whole light making sure you go over the lens thoroughly.

Once you've done this clean the light lens up and clear off any excess compound.

Finally using T-cut (not safecut) work your way over the whole light making sure you spend a good time on each area you work.

By the time you are finished you will find your lights should be a lot lot better. Not as good as brand new or glass but certainly very good in comparison to what you started with. :)

Have done this on 3 sets of j-spec lights, including a set of FTO lights that suffer badly from yellowing and peeling of the plastic lights.

Equally if you don't want to spend so much time on the lights as this, any of the named "plastic renewal" compounds should do a good job. Basically they are cutting compounds designed just to take the top layer of the light down, so technically eating through the top layer which is normally the most "yellowed". :)

Edited by d-_-b (see edit history)

For quick hand application, Meguiars PlastX is my choice, it'll remove a lot of oxidation and minor swirls. Handy to use on the rear lights and instrument dials as well

However there is no substitute for the sandpaper/cutting compound method really, as shown about that'll really get them clear again. Just be careful if you use a rotary polisher as opposed to a random orbital, leave it in place too long and it'll melt your lights (I know from experience :lol:)

i was given a good tip and it was to use some rubing compound from halfords, big yellow tube thing and its about 4 quid. Put it on and rub it in with a damp cloth. Made a huge difference to mine. Spent about an hour on it when i had the lights off the car

I spent about an hour and a half polishing mine with t cut inside and out. This is the result. Almost as good as new as they were quite yellow at first :)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/jamesabroberts/supra006.jpg

quick question probably way off topic but someone might know can you spray paint the chrome ring around the main lense does anyone know???

• 2 weeks later...