The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Less grip please!!

gt4tosupra

The car has Toyo TR1's all round, but i'm thinking of swapping to cheap road tyres on the back for a bit more tail out action :diablo::devil: The toyos grip tooo much!! any suggestions on brand and size? currently on 18's, tyres are 265 35 18, should i go narrower, can i go narrower? i think the wheels are 9.5" at rear (bk555)

Get some 18/19 inch rims on the rears and fit some worn out snow tyres with a low profile. Adjust the camber angles so they are -2 deg or more. Job done :D

Thats not really advisable for road use though, can't you take your fun to dedicated drift days for this? There's plenty of them run throughout the country.

Your looking for GOOD tyres mate, not crap ones. You break traction using power and steering, you gain it back by letting off a little allowing the tyres to grip again. Crap grip means when you let off you just spin out... most likely into a ditch.

nice to see everyone is being nice to new member still, to be fair its not that stupid a question,

he thought sh*tty tyres, would let the back end step out easier, and anyone who has had bald tyres know this is true!!

his been give advice from memebers that he needs good tryes to be able to control the drift, his learn some knew, and been corrected

well thats a question ive never seen asked on here before!

IMO your being very very silly.

Just buy something cheep if you want to end up in a ditch.

Thanks for your concern!! but i'm thinkin if i survived an S13 200sx, with crazy tail out action, i should be able to keep a supra NA in check!!

Also, its in quite a few places that i've read that u need hard road tyres for drifting, = cheap tyres!

well thats a question ive never seen asked on here before!

IMO your being very very silly.

Just buy something cheep if you want to end up in a ditch.

In my view it is a perfeclty resonable question to ask.

Not everyone wants to drive high speeds to be able to step over the grip limit.

To do this at a lower speed and have a bit of fun is a good idea.

And having fun is a big factor in owning a sports car/gt car etc.

I don't think he's suggesting putting on some Wusungs for total lack of control...just looking for options about less grip.

My response is to try the Kumho Ecsta, these are a mid-range tyre with decent levels of grip. Lower dry grip than a Toyo or Eagle F1 but they have a good amount of wet performance.

It means if you do a trackday or just have some private land you want to have a bit of fun in then they won't cost you as much but they will give a good amount of control.

The Ecstas are also good wearing so they should last longer than drifting on a Toyo or the likes of an Eagle F1.

Have fun and be safe!

My camber is set at -3.5 degrees on the rear for drifting. For tail out action you dont want your tyres to be too pants, in fairness you want them as good as possible.

Is this the camber setting you use for the road? or do u mean trackday fun? I spoke to TDI who mentioned geometery setups and also 2 way diffs

Also, its in quite a few places that i've read that u need hard road tyres for drifting, = cheap tyres!

Aye batter in. Stick some Najakungo Ditch Finder tyres on. See how you get on.

Lets look at this in a few ways.

1 - Its a Supra NA. Does it have a LSD? Otherwise its going to be very very difficult to do anything more than a burnout or donut with it.

2 - Its a Supra. It weighs 1400+ kgs. Shit tyres are doing to kill you or the car or both.

These cars are completely different breed from the "S" bodies. Believe me, ive been there.

In my view it is a perfeclty resonable question to ask.

Not everyone wants to drive high speeds to be able to step over the grip limit.

To do this at a lower speed and have a bit of fun is a good idea.

And having fun is a big factor in owning a sports car/gt car etc.

I don't think he's suggesting putting on some Wusungs for total lack of control...just looking for options about less grip.

Have fun and be safe!

:yeahthat: I've jumped from GT4 to this car because bored of the 'amazing....ly boring grip' . Even though this NA supra is slower, its more fun![GRIN][/GRIN]

:yeahthat: I've jumped from GT4 to this car because bored of the 'amazing....ly boring grip' . Even though this NA supra is slower, its more fun![GRIN][/GRIN]

Yep, I know a lot of people who have done similar.

Some of my uncle's friends have some of the old '60's and '70's 'sports' cars (Triumphs etc.).... many only have about 120bhp (if that)....but they choose not to put on grippy tyres so that they can have some fun in the car.