The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Maybe a silly wing question

Kaamos

Hi all.... I read somewhere that the rear wing was not only for cosmetics, it actually provides downforce..... now I'm wondering : what if you have the wing removed, doesn't it come at the cost of some grip-loss ? (I'm about to buy a wingless supe, the wings comes with it but is not fitted so I'm just wondering about having it re-fitted or not...).

It must provide quite a bit of downforce as when i drive at night with the hid's on i dont get flashed, but when i'm doing over 70 I notice the cutoff is higher on roadsigns and people occasionally flash me. I've put this down to the spoiler pushing the arse down at speed, just like having a load in the boot.

It must provide quite a bit of downforce as when i drive at night with the hid's on i dont get flashed, but when i'm doing over 70 I notice the cutoff is higher on roadsigns and people occasionally flash me. I've put this down to the spoiler pushing the arse down at speed, just like having a load in the boot.

More likely to be lift at the front

I have driven loads both with and without the "wing". Whatever it does isn't very much, I am hard pressed to tell the difference. It probably kills SOME lift from the roof and tailgate shape, rather than actually creates downforce. If i had another MKIV I would remove the somewhat dating wing and not bother a jot about any potential "downforce" issues.

well i had a sierra cosworth before my supra and i repainted the spoiler once then ran out of paint, so i went to get some more without it fitted, i went down the M5 and would you beleave the rear end felt all soft and crap, so i came back refitted it and went down the same bit, ahhh much better, so id say it does help at higher speeds.

Edited by little num (see edit history)

:blink: The veyron is in a different league altogether.

Just a little. For a start the Veyron self-adjusts its ride-height for optimum downforce...

well i had a sierra cosworth before my supra and i repainted it once then ran out of paint, so i went to get some more without it fitted, i went down the M5 and would you beleave the rear end felt all soft and crap, so i came back refitted it and went down the same bit, ahhh much better, so id say it does help at higher speeds.

Do you mean a 3 door? Because the whale-tail is quite a lot bigger that the Supra spoiler so I'm not really surprised!

:blink: The veyron is in a different league altogether.

I didn't say it wasn't, i just gave an example of an active spoiler, and the difference it makes, in a relative term that everyone can understand :p

Do the really really fast supras run with spoilers? 230mph ones? I would be surprised if they did.

Thanks for all your replies mates, happy to learn I'm not going to do off-road as soon as I hit the throttle haha :) Plus I guess removing the wing gives a somewhat better sight from the inside rear view mirror.

Removing your wing is good for health and safety !

• 1 month later...