The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I'm doing it wrong!

cheekymonkey

Arrggh!

Went to chav-central fast show at santa pod yesterday, for my first session for 6 months or so. Only had 3 runs but this was the 3rd session in a row where I have been spectacularly disappointed in my runs.

Now, at Supra Pod 2007 I had a brilliant time, and was consistently hitting mid 13s or lower with a best time of 13.066 on the day. This was with a bone stock car with the boost controller turned up to 1.2 bar.

Since then my car has had:-

- 650cc injectors

- PowerFC and map by Ryan

- Loads of suspension bits

- gauges etc to safely do BPU

- new SMIC

- RLTC

- Line lock

However no matter what I try I keep getting sodding low 14s and if I'm very lucky high 13s. It's embarrassing!

The first time I went on the strip after adding all my gadgets I didn't do very well, and put it down to gadget overload. I was trying to use the line lock kit, and RLTC launch control and didn't really know what I was doing, and 3 runs isn't enough to play and practise.

Yesterday, I turned RLTC off an forgot about the line lock kit completely to try and go back to basics. My first launch was crap and the car juddered (14.1). Second launch was smoother but just not fast enough, again 14.1.

3rd launch I though went really well until I was told it was a sodding 14.2!

My car has more than enough power and I can't see what else I can do, apart from more and more practise but it's very hard with only 3 runs and many different variables.

Suspension set up wrong?

Too much torque / not enough traction?

Me just being crap?

Sorry for the rant but I hope some of you may have some ideas :)

do you have adjustable suspension?

Getting as much weight to transfer over the back wheels evenly is important for launching.

The new Eagle asymetrics should be good enough once up to temperature. Maybe give a longer burn out before launch?

Also play around with tyre pressures. You may have too much or too little pressure for your 'perfect' launch.

hey guys, thanks for the tips. May have to get some drag tyres for next time, got to be worth a try anyway!

Of course I was still faster than most there yesterday, there were even some cars in the mid 19s *grin*

Day was good and managed a nice shot of the jet car with my little point and shoot.

sup_4.jpg

jet_small.jpg

Have just posted some vids of my runs, from inside the car - so you can hear what's going on and when the tyres slip etc.

1 -

No gadgets, 1.1 bar, 14.1 sec

2 -

No gadgets, 1.1 bar, tried to make the launch smoother. Less juddering but slow start. 14.1 sec

3 -

RLTC in use - set to 16% (figure pulled from my ass) and Launch control with revs set at 3400rpm. May be a bit too low as launch again seemed slow. 1.2 bar this time. 14.2 sec

If anyone has time to look and comment that would be great. Am thinking it's a combination of lack of practise and cold tyres. I've lost the detachable controller to my line-lock kit so my burnouts were pathetic :)

Edited by cheekymonkey (see edit history)

I dont think i have ever seen RLTC help at Pod. Its generally a hinderance. It also needs to be 20% slip for the ultimate launch (Terminator may be able to elaborate as to why).

This early in the season the surface will still be seriously cold. The ground is still in winter temperatures and so the Pod surface wont have heated up yet.

Run the same car in June under the same spec and you will be quicker.

what was you up against in the first vid? I liked how as soon as you were in 3rd you pulling hard against it :D

btw do they measure from when it goes green or when you leave the line at pod? as your reactions looked pretty bad :D and it didnt sound like you went anywhere near redline in 1st gear on the first run. Also I can hear lots of wheel spin and wheel hop and your burnout in one of the vids was waaaaaay too short :) and turn you tc off :)

on the plus side your gear changes are nice and quick :thumbs:

Edited by Tom (see edit history)

what was you up against in the first vid? I liked how as soon as you were in 3rd you pulling hard against it :D

hehe that was my mate's GT4 - he was Well Chuffed™ that he was ahead of me for a while there. He's running 290bhp and to be fair he keep up with me on the road, great car. He got off the line a lot quicker, but got a 14.7 which aint too bad for his car.

btw do they measure from when it goes green or when you leave the line at pod? as your reactions looked pretty bad :D

Yep it's only started when you start moving. I knew reaction times didn't really count so I was purposely not rushing.

and it didnt sound like you went anywhere near redline in 1st gear on the first run. Also I can hear lots of wheel spin and wheel hop and your burnout in one of the vids was waaaaaay too short :) and turn you tc off :)

on the plus side your gear changes are nice and quick :thumbs:

Cheers for the comments - first run was atrocious but the problem is I kept trying to improve but my times were getting worse :)

• 2 years later...

Slight update guys! I havent been doing much with Supra for ages but managed to get to JapFest this weekend.

Had 4 runs today, best time was 12.5 and I even got a 12.9 with a passenger!

Mod wise the car was identical to when this thread was started a long time ago, with the exception of the tyres. Am now running Mickey T Street ETs on the rear.

Also the following helped:

* proper 6-8 second burnout

* Launch control working properly

* keeping calm on the launches

Supra is still suffering with high air intake temps so that is the next thing to hit.

Thanks to all who advised better tyres, what a difference.

Tre drag strip isn't a place for mechanical sympathy :p

My times vary from high 12 to mid 13's.

I have intake temp probs too

I'm wondering if taking the headlight out and the front of the airbox off will be of use. Or maybe I'll get a spare airbox front and duct some pipework properly :)

One of the members on here got a mid 12 in their BPU running on 19's with normal road tyres so I reckon you can squeeze some more out of that spec on those tyres. The brand he was running escapes me, I'm thinking Michelin but I can't be sure what he said.

Definitely going the right way though, well done :)

Tre drag strip isn't a place for mechanical sympathy :p

My times vary from high 12 to mid 13's.

I have intake temp probs too

I'm wondering if taking the headlight out and the front of the airbox off will be of use. Or maybe I'll get a spare airbox front and duct some pipework properly :)

Exactly Guigsy :D

I just don't have the apples to take the Supra down the strip for fear of the engine stripping itself apart while I am driving it lol :D

EDIT: Yeah, I would of thought that if you take the headlight out and take the airbox off, you should see lower intake temps as there's alot more cooler air flowing in to your engine...

Edited by SilverSoop (see edit history)

One of the members on here got a mid 12 in their BPU running on 19's with normal road tyres so I reckon you can squeeze some more out of that spec on those tyres. The brand he was running escapes me, I'm thinking Michelin but I can't be sure what he said.

Definitely going the right way though, well done :)

Scott was that with a manual or auto? I want to be able to consistently get into the lower 12s now, the problem is of course heat soak and high air intake temps. Always an issue!