The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gearbox/Prop Shaft Vibration

dani_r

Afternoon chaps! Hopefully someone will be able to help me.

I've been experiencing some vibration which I think is coming from the gearbox/prop shaft area (from the gear shifter area back towards the centre console).

The vibration only happens when I get near the high end of the rev range and disapears when I change gear. Normal driving is ok, with no vibration.

I've got a 93 5 Speed NA.

Any thoughts?

Cheers :)

Dan

Edited by dani_r (see edit history)

CV Joints? I've had a look at the turbosupras manuals but couldn't see any reference to these (perhaps I wasn't looking in the right section :D ). What are these and how do I get to them?

I'm off to the workshop now so I'll have a poke around.

OK, so I've had a look.

Is this what we're talking about?

Would a worn bearing in this area account for the vibration?

The manual on Turbsupras has a number of possibilities for vibration (if it is indeed the prop shaft where the problem lies)

1. Transmission extension housing rear bushing (Runout)

2. Sleeve yoke spline (Stuck)

3. Propeller shaft (Runout)

4. Propeller shaft (Imbalance)

I don't have enough knowledge to know if my symptoms would be caused by any of these things, for example, what the hell is a yoke? :D

Edited by dani_r (see edit history)

1. Transmission extension housing rear bushing (Runout) where the prop goes into gear box there is a bush

2. Sleeve yoke spline (Stuck) as the rear suspension moves you need movement back and forth , so a yoke alows one shaft to slide in and out of the other (shaft into flange)

3. Propeller shaft (Runout) think this is talking about the centre bearing

4. Propeller shaft (Imbalance) as it says

Im sure if im wrong with any of these somebody will correct me

Well, most of the vibration seems to be coming from around the end of the gear box area/front of intermediate shaft sub-assembly area.

Does anyone know if this is something I'd be able to have a look at by myself? I have ramp access. Or should I let someone else have a look?

• 2 weeks later...

No i haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I suspect the pressure plate is done. After fixing my clutch master cylinder I have been experiencing clutch slip, so I suspect the vibration was a precurser to the clutch failing. Can't say for definate though.

• 8 years later...
No i haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I suspect the pressure plate is done. After fixing my clutch master cylinder I have been experiencing clutch slip, so I suspect the vibration was a precurser to the clutch failing. Can't say for definate though.
Ever get to the bottom of this?