The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Drilled and Grooved Brake Discs?

heather1mee

Hey hey all!! :);)

I was wondering if any one bought or knows if these would be good discs,

made by mtec i am told..

The link below :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120389359303&ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:GB:1123

The price is savage, and I know Brembo is one of the leading makes, and that they are super expensive and few car owners have told me they are not the best of quality.

Cheaper items have me warey, but then again they look the part, so I am wondering are they worth the buy, just cause they don't have a brand name might not mean they are no good.. the seller gets lots of positive feed back. :salute:

Comments/Advice would be super! ;)

Heather

Edited by heather1mee (see edit history)

unless they were purposely built to be drilled (e.g Porsche, Ferrari, etc).

Entirely, but how many discs on the shelf are actually like that?

i got dba disk on mine:cool:

How does that help Heather? I've noticed a lot of posts from you jazz that you've basically appeared to say "I have this" or "I'm soooo good at that".

Not exactly helping anyone in threads such as this or a for sale thread is it.

Edited by Ian W (see edit history)

How does that help Heather? I've noticed a lot of posts from you jazz that you've basically appeared to say "I have this" or "I'm soooo good at that".

true...If these are those 3G discs, then I would go, like you said for the plain ones.

Lol :p Please, excuse my spelling Im a disaster for it!!! Uni does not teach spelling!!;)

[/OOPS] and i cant edit my heading can I?[OOPS]
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_oops.gif

I just find that my brakes ;) are a bit dodge, if i brake hard the back comes out, and generally are a little wobbly.I could be too picky, I think my ones are warped. ?? No??:search:

This might be a good solution. IMO ...?

Thanks for your comments :)

Lol :p Please, excuse my spelling Im a disaster for it!!! Uni does not teach spelling!!;)
[/OOPS] and i cant edit my heading can I?[OOPS]
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_oops.gif

I just find that my brakes ;) are a bit dodge, if i brake hard the back comes out, and generally are a little wobbly.I could be too picky, I think my ones are warped. ?? No??:search:

This might be a good solution. IMO ...?

Thanks for your comments :)

its not just your spelling....

A waste of money, stick with standard. Toyota or even Delphi should be fine.

If you want to upgrade your stopping power braided lines would be effective as would be some fast road pads from Chris Wilson.

Other than that if you're into track days get some UK brakes or something bigger (£££'s).

A waste of money, stick with standard. Toyota or even Delphi should be fine.

If you want to upgrade your stopping power braided lines would be effective as would be some fast road pads from Chris Wilson

As Pete has said, stick with OEM discs and some decent pads and you'll be fine.

I'd also suggest a brake fluid change if you haven't had that done recently.

I would have never guessed.....

:D

oh i see you mean the gaming thread:d i cant help being a noob:p

ive got drilled and grooved pads on mine from ebay cost around £200 for the set then porterfield race pads on and i have no complaints great braking in my oppinion for daily drive use and the odd roasting as thats all i can test them to been on 3 month not a problem

I would have never guessed.....

Is that a smart reply?? Smartness isn't nice! :rolleyes:

Anyways, I have always like drilled and grooved...

its just the brand/quality I am worried about, w41k3r , You say they roasted?!?! You mean thay heated and them drilled??! Is that not to keep them cool?? :blink:

Any one point me in the right diection for nice ones??;)

As mentioned, stock is best for these. I've had drilled/sloted ones before and the braking performance was worse in pretty much every condition (less contact area for the pads, i guess). Both front's were covered in hairlines cracks after 4 months of road use, so never got to try them on the track. These were changed for stock ones which have done around 30k miles since (and a couple of track days) and so far as I know still on the car to this day (over 4 years!)

I would never, ever, recommend buying such essential items like brake components from sellers like that on ebay. Half that add is misleading, the other half is bull.

In my experience with the numerous road cars that I have been on track with that have had drilled discs fitted, they have prooved to be no more effective than standard brakes.

I have spoken to numrous racing drivers/instructors about brake discs and they all have similar view.

I have had a lot of people tell me that cracks have formed through the constant heat cycles and the formation of rust inside the holes. Even the so called 'purpose engineered' drilled discs are not really aimed at road use.

Over time, these cracks will reach a critical point and disc faillure will occur. Most people would generally notice these cracks well before they become serious...but the problem is that they generally need new discs.

You may find drilled discs on a Ferrari but the disc compound is usually of a ceramic nature and these are not prone to cracking like the usual metal compounds. But these types of discs are usually way too expensive for a Supra owner (no disrespect to anyone's financial situation by the way...but a Supra is not a Ferrari if you know what I mean).

Drilled discs (of a typical compound), can be slightly effective on race use whereby they are only intended for ONE race....ie. no prolonged exposure to numerous heat cycles. And this way they aid cooling (marginally) and pad surface conditions.

The cooling of brake discs is mainly down to the internal vents anyways. If you are worried about brake disc temperatures then a much better route would be to engineer a cooling duct that passes air over the disc.

(somebody will surely mention if this is possible for the Supra or not) :)

Disclaimer...

I do not have any data to back up my comments above, its all from my own experience with track driving and being involved with racing and track instruction over the years.

sorry i meant roasting as in a bit of hard driving then hard stopping like racing around, i had to skim my standard disks because they warped and heard they warp quite alot thats why i went with drilled/grooved disks

Thats completely wrong mate. The most common cause for a warped disc is taking the car for a hard drive and then sitting it without letting the disc/pad cool down. The warping happens because one area of the disc is subject to a much slower cooling process (i.e. the area which sits behind the pad).

It's one reason you always do a couple of cooldown laps before parking up on track days