The mkiv Supra Owners Club

autobahn88

natony

i bought my supra as a bit of a project and ive spent a lot on it but now my pockets are getting pretty empty :(

so i thought i'd try a couple of autobahn88 products as they were cheap and looked good for the money and now i cant believe my disappointment

first off was an NA exhaust manifold which wouldn't fit on the studs but after redrilling the holes went on only to find that the wiring for the lambda sensors was too short because of their new position, i played with the wiring loom and managed to get it to work and then if that wasn't bad enough when i came to bolt the 2nd cat on to it the angle of the flange was that far out that it wouldn't bolt up

next was one of their radiators :blink: that once fitted wouldn't allow the bonnet to close so i ended up cutting the support brackets off and rewelding them lower down (30mm) so that it cleared and then found that i had to fadricate some new top brackets as the old ones didn't fit any more

it seems i'll just have to keep getting ripped off paying the extortionate prices for parts that fit and realise that there is no lower or middle ground when it comes to pricing

i paid £149 +£65 for the radiator and £220 + £45 for the manifold

i dont think that is that cheap

as for used parts, the damand seems pretty high for parts and that keeps that prices high and at the end of the day you dont know if what your getting will last

for example i bought a used cat back exhaust because i didn't want to send £600+ on a new one (espeically when mines an NA ) only to find the baffles were gone in the back box

dont get me wrong mate, not all that autobahn stuff is crap, few of my mates have there intercooler kits and they are very pleased with them.

I bought an uprated rad months ago for my supra and when it was fitted the bonnet

would not close ,. what i had to do was remove the rubber supports at the bottom that

were mounted on the brackets for holding the rad in place. perfect fit then :)

Their products are cheap chinese copy crap, what do you expect.

Those prices are low compared to OEM and higher end products (except delivery which is a rip off).

You're best off buying 2nd hand or going to a quality and known source for parts like these. They will cost a few more quid, but at least will work as designed and fit.

Believe me, I've been there and done that with the chinese stuff, most of it is utter rubish.

you should have read the thread about the asi radiators of ebay also have there own site they seemed fine also you should have got the obx manifold of ebay as it comes with 2nd dect section 2 and isnt much dearer if you want cheaper parts fitment is apparently perfect

@ Homer , how did that single turbo work out for ya ? the xs power one ? remember seeing a thread ages back about it, never got round to asking ya about it

It was shite, utter shite. The only things that worked were the manifold and wastegate. After I sold it the manifold cracked and needed replacing (6000 miles ish). The only thing out of entire single turbo coversion kit that has lasted is the wastegate.

Having said that even the manifold needed modification for the final fit, the DP didn't fit, the screamer pipe didn't fit. Everything needed changing. The turbo was garbage, as was expected.

Every other component (and I mean absolutely everything - gaskets, boost lines, fuel lines, fittings, the list is endless - utterly failed between 10 and 3000 miles use.

Intial cost of kit = £800

Final cost of conversion = £8000

If I'd gone with a decent kit in the first place I'd have saved at least £2k.

Thankfully every last item except the wastegate has been replaced and now, the car is running perfectly.

Chinese parts = garbage :D

still though dude fair play for giving it a go, i was all for an xs flower kit when i first got my supra but since reading the threads about the products i wouldnt go near them lol

remember seeing the start up vid when it was done and just completely forgot to ask

about it etc

It was $#@!e, utter $#@!e. The only things that worked were the manifold and wastegate. After I sold it the manifold cracked and needed replacing (6000 miles ish). The only thing out of entire single turbo coversion kit that has lasted is the wastegate.

Having said that even the manifold needed modification for the final fit, the DP didn't fit, the screamer pipe didn't fit. Everything needed changing. The turbo was garbage, as was expected.

Every other component (and I mean absolutely everything - gaskets, boost lines, fuel lines, fittings, the list is endless - utterly failed between 10 and 3000 miles use.

Intial cost of kit = £800

Final cost of conversion = £8000

If I'd gone with a decent kit in the first place I'd have saved at least £2k.

Thankfully every last item except the wastegate has been replaced and now, the car is running perfectly.

Chinese parts = garbage :D

Silly question bearing in mind I'm in China(and therefore see crappy workmanship everyday - however some are getting better at it(quality not crap that is) :innocent: is how can you tell its made in China? is there a label saying so or just the appearance being so poor?:rolleyes:

There are some decent parts out there that don't cost the earth, the best thing to do is search around on google and on here.

These radiators for example: http://www.carcooling.co.uk/catalog/Toyota_Supra_86_99-1217-1.html

I've been running one for over a year now and it's been faultless, OEM fit at a fraction of the cost.

Search is your friend.

A little unfiar to say that people should expect things to be wrong if they are cheap.

If a product says that it is for a purpose then it should be.

Quality wise, then it may not last as long or do as good a job as the expensive stuff but all the same, it should still be fit for purpose no matter how cheap they sell it.

And as any customer of any product it is the minimum of what we expect.

I got my 1st decat from autobahn88 and its fine. The GB bracket needed moving a little but other than that it was worth the £55. What I saved on it more than made up for it. You've got to know when to buy cheap and when not to. A 1st decat is just a pipe so fettling it isn't hard, a manifold is rather difficult to fettle and the risk of breaking expensive things is higher and for that reason I would probably have searched first and asked a few opinions before buying the cheapest bit I could find on fleabay. XSpower is a bit of hit or miss as I've heard good things and bad things from different owners clubs around the net.

• 9 months later...

I can tell from experience that their manifolds for NA suck hairy monkeyballs. The decat pipes are so so.

Silicon hoses appear to be good, but have not used them so can not tell for sure. They have some products that appear to be good, decent machining and such, but some of them are rubbish.

I agree that you are better of buying a 2nd hand quality product then one of these. Have noticed on several fronts that the parts from china are absolutely no to bad quality.

If you want to do it right, buy the right products directly and save on cost for installing/ fitting and such.

did you tell them it didnt fit ,if you did i think they would of sent you another one.i bought 2 off a member one was not a very good fit so they sent him another hence why he had 2.really only needed slight mods on the bad one.think overall the manifold isnt a bad product but you have to look at it for what it is and expect modifications to be needed.Still works out better than trying to make your own from scratch.