The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Twin or single - acceleration

Samsupra

Hi my name is sam, within next month or 2 i will hopfully have my dream car..... Supra!(AUTO personal reason). My price

bracket is any between 10k to 20k, now my question is

what shud i go for a twin turbo setup or single? i

want rapid acceleration 0-100 and not to bothered on

top end, becoz i'll hardly go any faster then 130

anyways and not very often. Reliability is also an issue as this will be my daily drive car. i have been reading alot

about supras for last year so been doin my research but still new so be kind :p.

But im undecided for which setup to go with, i will b

looking for around 480 to 650bhp and will b waiting

for the right car n not rushing into it. I dont think

buyin stock one and tuning it myself would b good idea as im not very gd

DIY'er so i'd leave that to experts but its time to

upgrade to Supra! :D what would your advise be guys?

im sorry if this twin or single Q is asked again, but

i have read related threads and couldnt find specific info to my question.

Cheers

Sam

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, please stop with the text speak. A lot of people will ignore your posts if you don't.

OK, so you want 480-650 BHP, so you'll have to go for a single turbo. The stock twins can't make that sort of power.

Another thing, the stock auto gearbox won't last long at those power levels. If you can't drive a manual you'll need a lesser powered Supra or a very expensive gearbox upgrade.

ok thanks for opinionsguys it maybe an idea to get a nice bpu sup to start with for 8-10k and with the rest of the budget , when im ready to upgrade to a single. Seems to be a majority vote for single then :p reading from other threads TT upgrade seems very exspenive. Is the boostlogic gearbox very exspensive?

I think you need a stock TT, get used to it with some sticky tyres (Toyo R888 for example) and then modify it as you wish for more power. BPU is a really big hike in power and if set up right could produce the car you're after without spending £15k+ on a good single setup.

In terms of acceleration i would like sumwhere in region of 4sec of under 0-60 ?

You won't get that from the TT setup, and you will struggle to get it with a small single setup unless its very well tuned, the Supra is a big heavy car, so in order to get quick acceleration you will need an engine that is tuned to develop lot of torque.

I don't know of any Supras bar drag, that can make 0-60 in under 4 sec, the most realistic figure is going to be in the high 4sec mark

i personally suggest that seen as your wont be ripping the nuts off it and want reliability go for a bone stock mint TT. when my sup was stock it was the best ever car still is but with body kits etc. and suspension mods, the car is stiffer, hits humps and is more juicey but in the end thats what i wanted!

By the way Stunning Supra Gaz, that does sound like a sensible option, making from stock to BPU or upto around 500-550 , what sort of budget am i looking at? i kno prices can be endless but a rough estimate i could work around. say i bought nice n tidy stock TT for 6-8k then would 10k on upgrades when needed would that be sufficient for mods and power im looking for?

You'll be wanting to save your money and buy a Lotus Exige or something from what you're asking. The Supra is a GT car, built for in gear rolling acceleration not off the line speed - it's quick off the line of course but it really shines on the motorway.

10k is a lot of money to mod. try find your self a clean UK spec supra and yes the good ones will be expensive about 9k+. to go bpu it will cost you about 1k. 10k and you'll have a sup pumping decent road power and feeling rock solid! if you spend 10k on mods you will definately be going single etc.

By the way Stunning Supra Gaz, that does sound like a sensible option, making from stock to BPU or upto around 500-550 , what sort of budget am i looking at? i kno prices can be endless but a rough estimate i could work around. say i bought nice n tidy stock TT for 6-8k then would 10k on upgrades when needed would that be sufficient for mods and power im looking for?

Thanks mate :)

BPU can be done for around the £1k mark, which makes it fanstastic value for money. After that level of power (around 450bhp max) you're looking at a single turbo conversion. If you use decent parts with a decent mapper then you'll be spending over £10k for a reliable small single setup. As you say, larger setups can be pretty much an endless money pit. It completely depends what you'll be using the car for. Setting up a single for the track will usually cost lots more than setting one up for weekend road use.

Yea i see where your comming from Tbourner but i love supras, plus their automatic and i have looked for last year at what cars are availiable in auto that are reliable before and after tuned and i fell in love supras their looks, speed and sound. There not much to compare once u've looked at supra :p

i dont mean to get in your private things but you suggested you wanted an auto for your personal reasons. i thought i bring it to your attention that yes the supra is an unreal car but only in the hands of someone whos experienced with it. the car does like getting sideways and eating tyres. you have to seriously be confident in your driving before getting excited with a sup. when i first got mine i was a little scared of planting it because it picked up so quickly. your looking for a 400+hp car it will naturally be a beast to drive. seriously think about that fact, you dont want to spend 15K on a car and then end up in a tree because you were not ready for the way it reacts. :)

Yea i agree there thats the last thing i want to do ... i think i wud cry :p well thats definatly answered my question i will eventually go single. It looks like i shud go for the stock or half bpu sup and then gradually upgrade to single. I will evetually wanna take it to strip or santapod but it will mostly be some daily drives, weekend use, i mite even keep my glanza for commuting. But yea i cant agree more with how the supra can easily go sideways in wrong hands and i have thought about it alot.

I have to say now i'm bpu that its plenty fast for most roads, and even at bpu level there's enough power to make it 'interesting' when the road conditions are anything other than perfect, the autobox can be annoying when you push on a bit aswell.. Having never owned a single I cant comment but if I had to do some things over again with your budget I think I would get a TT 6 speed and spend everything on suspension, good quality wheels and a decent brake setup before I went the power route, I naturally went the other way round and now i'm paying for all the boring stuff when all I want is a 67mm single!