The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Should I buy a Supra?

Guest longsh07

Guest longsh07

Hello all,

Ive been looking to upgrade my Punto for a while now to something with a little more kick, however the Civic Type R I was looking at has stupid insurance prices (£7500+)

So after some thought I considered getting a Supra and for a laugh I went to get some insurance prices for a 1994 RZ Twin Turbo.

To my amazement it only came to £3750!!

Now that’s still a lot but I’m seriously considering buying one now.

So, the question, should i spend my hard earned money on a car over 10 years old or am I going to be in the garage constantly?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello all,

Ive been looking to upgrade my Punto for a while now to something with a little more kick, however the Civic Type R I was looking at has stupid insurance prices (£7500+)

So after some thought I considered getting a Supra and for a laugh I went to get some insurance prices for a 1994 RZ Twin Turbo.

To my amazement it only came to £3750!!

Now that’s still a lot but I’m seriously considering buying one now.

So, the question, should i spend my hard earned money on a car over 10 years old or am I going to be in the garage constantly?

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't pay that much Insurance unless I was extremely wealthy.

Are you extremely wealthy?

If not, I'd stick to the Punto for another few years untill running cost become more realistic.

Only £3750 thats well cheap lol lol

Mate I have been there done that when I was your age, new cars new bikes, over my YOUNG years I have spent £1000's on car and bike insurance, I know you wont listen but I'd say leave it a few years and get some no claims behind you, otherwise like me your be paying for it many years too come.

When the insurance comes down to

I couldn't agree more. When I was first thinking seriously about buying a supra, £1000 was the absolute maximum I'd pay in insurance. If I couldn't find anything below that (luckily, I did), then it would have been "no deal".

For those kinds of quotes, I'm guessing you must be 17, or live in a very high risk area...

In answer to your question about reliability, have a look at the range of prices supras typically sell for, and expect to pay somewhere in the middle. If it hasn't been abused, they're generally very reliable. Also, if you're not mechanically minded, bring someone else with you to the test drive.

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

I think it sounds like your about 6.

If you can afford to pay 3750 for insurance then batter in, but when you crash it and you will, prepare to get your flame suit on and hide.

Why dont you get a step up like an S14(a) or something? That wont rip you for insurance and hopefully it wont have to be funded by the bank of Mum and Dad either.

What you doing online anyway? This is a school day! :p

If you can afford to pay 3750 for insurance then batter in, but when you crash it and you will, prepare to get your flame suit on and hide.

Why dont you get a step up like an S14(a) or something? That wont rip you for insurance and hopefully it wont have to be funded by the bank of Mum and Dad either.

Calm down and tone it down - no need to insult the OP.

Forgetting insurance prices for the minute, I wouldn't recommend going from a Punto (I assume it's your 1st car?) to a SupraTT. Not unless you're fully aware of how to drive a RWD car or prepared to drive it like it IS a Punto for a while and then grdually build it from there...

Why don't you look at something in between?

Have you tried a quote on a UK TT or an import N/A?? A year ago I was paying £1600 its now gone down to £1000 im 24 2 year NC and I live in a high crime zone. There are other fast+fun options like 200sx ect. Put you should try a quote on UK TT if you can afford to buy one and run it.

i re-read the OP post after this comment and disagree that the person sounds aged 6, maybe 17-18, it is a wee bit harsh when the post seems genuine.

the answer is that well maintained cars can last a long time and you won't be in the garage because of the age alone. but powerful cars should be avoided until you have been driving for a good few years, irrespective of money issues.

Forgetting insurance prices for the minute, I wouldn't recommend going from a Punto (I assume it's your 1st car?) to a SupraTT. Not unless you're fully aware of how to drive a RWD car or prepared to drive it like it IS a Punto for a while and then grdually build it from there...

Why don't you look at something in between?

I went from a Volvo 440 1.6 to a TT. No issues at all.

Mind you, I once got pwned by Miss Daisy.

I would say if it is not your first choice then hold out until you can afford the civic type R I would not consider the Supra to be an in between or a make do car. If you don't love them 100% it won't get the love and respect it deserves and when you can afford the civic you would (possibly) be passing on a poorly maintained or abused supra and there is enough of them on the market at the moment.

I went from an MG ZR160 to the Supra when I was 21. That seemed like a HUGE step and I'd been driving my dads (RWD) Saphire around as well!!

If you go and drive one you'll want it, and like me you'll spend all your free money on it, and like me you'll suddenly realise you need to buy a house and you'll be screwed by debt when a recession comes around...... But it was fun!!

Oh, you'll also crash at least once, no matter how good a driver people tell you you are, it just depends how 'bad' the crash is, you might get lucky and only have a small repair bill rather than a small crematorium bill.

Guest longsh07

My god, that’s a lot of replies far more than I was expecting. Thank you all.

Yes this post genuine, I see your point that £3750 is a lot of money and I am 18 (19 In April), driving since November 2007 with 1 years no claims.

Granted I did want a Civic but as a step from a 1.2 to something bigger later on but when I saw that the insurance was so low (in comparison to the civic.) I thought I might skip that step.

Again I understand this car is going to be FAR FAR FAR more powerful than the Punto I drive at the moment and expected that I would have to drive like an old woman for a few months so I don’t park it up a tree on the first bend.

As for my money situation I’m on £15,000 a year and with only rent to my mum to pay I get about £1000 per month so its not a real issue for me.

Providing I get a well looked after one (and I do the same) it shouldn't break down any more than any other car?

One more thing. Parts. Should something break how easy is it to get parts for them?

Thanks again

Guest longsh07

Just a thought, would you guys recomend going on a track day and or something in a RWD car before I jump in one and ruin someones front lawn?

For the experiance maily, but I'd damn well enjoy it too! :p