The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boot size (i know its been mentioned before....)

Kopite

hi, was chatting to my brother yesterday about me wanting a supe, he was saying it would be very impractical because of things like boot size and unreliability of a 10 year old car. I know Toyotas are reliable but i need some point i can argue! one thing that mentioned was boot size, how big is the boot on a supe? right now ive got a MkIV Golf which has a pretty big boot, the supe looks like its got quite a big one too!

are there any grades of reliability for manufacturers? i know a lot of people on here say their 10 year old car has never broken down!

oh and he drives an audiTT by the way :p

Originally posted by scally_kopite7

hi, was chatting to my brother yesterday about me wanting a supe, he was saying it would be very impractical because of things like boot size and unreliability of a 10 year old car. I know Toyotas are reliable but i need some point i can argue! one thing that mentioned was boot size, how big is the boot on a supe? right now ive got a MkIV Golf which has a pretty big boot, the supe looks like its got quite a big one too!

are there any grades of reliability for manufacturers? i know a lot of people on here say their 10 year old car has never broken down!

oh and he drives an audiTT by the way :p

Boot is very small indeed. Way too shallow.

But do you buy a car like the Supra for its boot space????

The boot is long and wide but way but very shallow, great for buying flat packs or large pictures but no good for lots of bags - if you have stuff on the rear seats you have to angle your shopping bags so you can close the boot but with the rear seats being so useless I generally use those for carrying things.

With all the foam around the spare removed and the wheel replaces with tireweld I'm guessing it could carry a fair bit.

Mine is certainly big enough for the two of us and we've fit in enough stuff for weeks away and I've had 4 wheels and tyres in there along with tools, jack etc for a trackday - 3 wheels in the back and one on the front seat.

Originally posted by Faye

But do you buy a car like the Supra for its boot space????

haha no, was just thinkin about the oddtime, say if you have to take something like a TV somewhere, or as michael said some bags for a weekend away :D

has anyone ever measured their boot though, for like a sub install or something\/

how about the reliability side? i saw on something like What Car that the supra was given 2/5 for reliability :o ive heard japanese cars are meant to be some of the most reliable around, if looked after of course!

i've had my bike in it loads of times, i even moved house with just the Sup, loading the bed in was quite interesting but it got the job done!

If you've got two dogs or two kids don't buy a sup, but for two one or two people its a lot more practical than say an MR2, MGF MX5 type of car and easily equal to a Audi TT (i can't see that swallowing a racing bike or half a bed?)

BTW does he know it will toast his Audi, and re reliablility ask him how many miles he thinks a TT supra engine would be shagged by and then show him the 250k+ mile one on ebay!

A 10yr old sup may have a few age related issues / repairs but equally there are loads of newer cars with far worse reliablility, and besides what other options are there for a 300BHP car for around 10K that can beat a sup for reliablility?

cheers scooter but....how the hell did u get a bed into it?! are we talking about a dogbed? :p

yeah the one i wants a UK and has got a FTSH etc, very careful owner, never speeds :p lol

yeah we knows more about cars than me, he will know itll beat his audi but i think he's worried about me buyin a dud. after the issues weve had with new cars, i dont want to go down that route again! lol

I've had more cars than I care to remember, and work on even more than that. I also work very closely with a lot of car dealers, I've owned 2 mkiv Supra's and neither of them have given me any more problems than a new car... In fact, less problems!

I've never had reliability problems with either of my Supra's, in 35,000 miles, I've only needed to change brakes and general service stuff.

Oh, and yes, the boot space is somewhat lacking, but hey, you can put the TV in your brothers Audi, unless it breaks down on the way :D

Don't forget you've got the back seats to put luggage on as well. I've managed luggage for two people for 3 weeks, plus Le Mans tents and other camping stuff (i.e. the all important beer fridge) no problem. In fact there was room left for two or three crates of beer on the way back too :)

Before I got mine, I heard a tail about unreliability because of all the 'complex equipment'. Damned lies. Did you see the Toyota HiLux on Top Gear :p

Supras are truely awesome cars. I had to sell mine, but will most likely get another when I can afford it.

Mine was a 93 K had done 100k miles and in 18 months only needed 1 ARB pin, cost £50 fitted. And I only changed it because it made a noise, not because it was spent.

NO other car gives the anything like the same performance, with anything like the reliability, for anything like the cost.

The boot is shite though :p

Originally posted by Scooter

i've had my bike in it loads of times, i even moved house with just the Sup, loading the bed in was quite interesting but it got the job done!

If you've got two dogs or two kids don't buy a sup, but for two one or two people its a lot more practical than say an MR2, MGF MX5 type of car and easily equal to a Audi TT (i can't see that swallowing a racing bike or half a bed?)

ive got two kids and manage ok. i even get a weeks shopping in with the push chair in the boot. i sometimes have to pack it around the kids though:p

a bloody bed in a supe????????

Originally posted by scally_kopite7

i saw on something like What Car that the supra was given 2/5 for reliability

Are you sure they weren't talking about the old MK III Supra? I belive those had a lot of problems with blown head gaskets. I've had my MK IV for a year, it's never let me down once.

Originally posted by leett

ive got two kids and manage ok. i even get a weeks shopping in with the push chair in the boot. i sometimes have to pack it around the kids though:p

a bloody bed in a supe????????

Your loyalty to the sup with two kids is commendable:)

As for the bed well it was a sort of split in half number. One half would just squeeze in between the roof lining and floor & was the full width of the car and obviously the boot had to be tied down. So two trips like that and then one with the mattress half out the back and flapping in the breeze and it was job done.

Luckily it was dry and the new place just a few miles away :D

Originally posted by Jake

Are you sure they weren't talking about the old MK III Supra? I belive those had a lot of problems with blown head gaskets. I've had my 86,000 mile MK IV for a year and do a daily 60 mile commute, it's never let me down once.

it was an article on the net so it could easily of been wrong but it was definately a MkIV and there was a pic of the beast saying 93-96. i was a bit shocked when i read that! 60 mile commute jake - how much do you spend a week on petrol! :D

Scally,

I only recently bought my supe so doubtless I have made similar trawls of the net as you.

My little nip motor came over the water with only around 30-40k miles on the clock (68,000 KM - to whoever wants to work it out), everything is standard engine-wise and I can honestly say that I have never seen such an immaculate engine. The best advice is to trawl through the technical section and the wanted/for sale section and see if there is any pattern.

In all honesty I have done it and as far as I can tell 80-90% of the stuff being done is to change/improve existing (working) stuff, there seems to be VERY little going wrong.

Just for gods sake dont take it to a toyotatookamotor dealership for services or you might find yourself sump-less :)

I would thouroughly recommend a supe, even my NA is happy as fook blitzing scoobies and beemers working its little socks off in total comfort and ease.

Get it ... enjoy it .... and rub your mates nose into the facts and figures (and the tarmac) every time he mentions it :)

EDIT - cos im stupid :)

Your brother doesn't want you to buy a car that will blow him off the road.

There's always loads of bad advice around. When I bought my NA someone told me not to buy Supras cos "turbos always blow, and they've got two, so it'll cost you twice as much"

Unfortunately, I listened to him, and bought an NA.