The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is buying a Supra TT a good idea?

russraff

Hello all!,

I have been thinking this for some time, now. Thing is, I have always wanted a Supra but have been put off for a number of reasons. Now that I am thinking of getting one in earnest I thought it time more erudite people than me answer these questions so that I can have some proper fun (perhaps)!

I currently have a Celica GT4 (four headlamp model) and love the four wheel drive system, especially in the wet or snow. How does the Supra handle in these conditions - will I wind up in a farmers field somewhere? Does the auto' box make things worse, especially in snowy conditions?

Does the auto' box hold its own to the manual, and how robust are they? I ask as my father just had to have his automatic overhauled at a cost of £1500 :eek:!

I was thinking of getting an import, but the diff in spec between Jap and UK is making me think twice. There doesn't seem to be too much diff in performance between my GT4 and the jap TT supra. Am I better off getting a UK spec car or is the performance differences "all in my head"?

Thanks for your time looking at questions that have probably already been answered but I cannot find,

Russell

Supra's don't like the snow at all, so you wouldn't end up in a field, cause you wouldn't get there in the first place! :baa:

Seriously though, it's just a common sense thing, a 300+bhp RWD car isn't going to be too clever in the snow or rain, just take it easy in these conditions and you'll be fine.

You can get Racelogic Traction control, if you're really concerned about wet weather driving.

The autobox in the mkiv Supra is very good. It makes for a nice relaxed drive when you want it, and gives plenty of power on tap.

It's also generally easier and quicker off the line and tends to be quicker over the quater mile. - Personally, I wouldn't dismiss it... Take one for a drive.

There is a huge difference between a GT4 and Supra. The GT's a quick point to point car where as the Supra is more of a GT car, (too many GT's in that sentance!). The Supra can still push you back into the seat at over 100mph :D

As for spec, the UK vs JDM thing is a personal preference. Forget any 'claimed' power figures or performance differences.

All the UK cars come with all the toys, Leather, heated seats, cruise control, bonnet vent and those ugly headlight squirters. They also get steel turbos, four pot brakes and larger injectors as standard.

You can get most of the above as options on JDM cars if you search around. IMO, the JDM car with some of the UK parts is the best option, but then I'm biased ;). You have to search long and hard to get a low milage UK car, but they are around. The JDM cars were manufactured from 1993-2001, so you can get a much newer import than the UK, (only made from 93-95).

The JDM car has ceramic turbo's, which make the car feel much more responsive with very little lag. It's also phisically lighter.

All personal preference, and all the above IMHO.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

Hi, I went from 4wd performance cars to the Supra too- be careful!! In the dry it's fine but the first time I took the Supra out in the rain it was not pretty. But yeah, don't be put off just coz of that, theres not many 4wd options in this kinda power league anyway :)

Originally posted by Supragal

Hi, I went from 4wd performance cars to the Supra too- be careful!! In the dry it's fine but the first time I took the Supra out in the rain it was not pretty. But yeah, don't be put off just coz of that, theres not many 4wd options in this kinda power league anyway :)

Same here - scoob to supra. Miss the handling and chuckability of the scoob, but for out and out performance theres no comparison. Just take it easy in dodgy weather. I fitted RLTC, its superb :D

My bro has an ST205 GT4 and I gotta say in most situations performance wise there isn't a lot in it. For example, the GT4 in standard form did a 13.702 1/4 mile at Crail Raceway - the best I managed in my Supra (std) was a 13.812.

I drive both regularly and would still have the Supra TT over the GT4 but they are different kettles of fish in that the Supra is much more of a cruiser. You can throw the GT4 around a lot more but in terms of speed through corners I'd say the Supra is the faster of the two in ideal conditions............ anything less and you have to slow down in the Supra because that 2nd turbo kick is always playing in your mind. Then when you think about mod potential........ the Supra is easy to get a lot of power out of.

Both excellent cars......... depends what you want at the end of the day.

i came from a audi a3 quattro turbo 2 a tt supra and binned it as soon as there was a spot of rain(4 days later). i wasnt booting it just pulling away from an island 1st turbo came in took the back end into the curb then went the other way hitting a lamp post. but im still pleased with it. its just experience at the end of the day. it didnt help having bald back tires.

Test drive one, if you haven't already.

I was sold, just climbing in the cockpit :)

Shame JIC stopped trading, you could have test drove all kinds of Supras there.

It's a pity that performance comparisions stop at the 1/4 mile, a BPU Supra is in a league of it's own above 100 mph.

Handling is also exceptional, with good tyres and stock wheels, there's a good write up on the NZ supra site from a racing driver about this.

Don't limit yourself to looking at UK specs only, there are some top spec J-specs out there, just need to find them and know what to look for.

I looked at tons before finding mine, take your time if you can.

The insurance on J-specs seems to have changed too, in my experience. I paid £650 for my UK spec MK3 Turbo and £750 for my J-spec MK4 Twin Turbo, work that one out, the MK3 was only worth £2500 :conf:

Good luck with your search.

Yes the people on this site are bias, but that is to be expected. Having said that, the responses from everyone have been informitave and enlightening - especially "ThunDeR" as he has driven both, regularly.

I must admit that I have driven a 200sx in wet conditions and thought the car very unstable. I have put this down to rear wheel drive and is the main reason I got the GT4 rather than a Supra.

To be honest, I think the GT4 is a middle of the road car; not a cruiser as a Supra TT, not chuckable as a Subaru and not as fast as either. That's not to say that my GT4 is slow uncomfortable and handles like rowing boat - it just doesn't do anything particularly well. Hence I am thinking of either getting a very powerful old car like a Supra TT or a much newer, albeit less powerful one, like a Civic Type R. I haven't made my mind up.

I briefly thought about getting a Mitsubishi 3000GT (or GTO) until I drove one. Good god, how the same people make the EVO is beyond me.

Russell

Originally posted by Russraff

I am thinking of either getting a very powerful old car like a Supra TT or a much newer, albeit less powerful one, like a Civic Type R. I haven't made my mind up.

Russell

Remember that the J Spec was available until 2001 in the land of the rising sun. Thus making it not such an old car if you get a newer version with VVti.

Ben..

Well, that's what I thought when I got the GT4: It's a Jap car and a Toyota no less so it'll be indestructable.

Nope.

Termostat went, which can be expected after 65K. But the front suspension is also knacked, necessitating a £400 repair. Apparently all GT4's have this problem. How many other problems are there?

Of course, you are quite correct, a Supra will be so much faster, higher spec more bearable and looks 400% better than a Type R, but will a Supra last another 5 year, or will a "knacked suspension" scupper the party?

Russell

A Supra is a nightmare in the snow, a right handful in the wet but well worth the stress of driving in both those conditions :) I was very wary of buying one due to running costs, but other than modifications I've had no repairs to make in over 2 years (and mines a 93 Jap model). I've had to buy the usual tyres and brakes (the consumables!), but its been bomb proof - touch wood! :p

Its not a run around, if its lowered then its a pain in the arse on rough roads and speed humps give it serious grief, you have to watch were you drive it, although after a while you get to know the smooth roads, ones without speed bumps, which multi storey car parks you can negotiate etc...

Despite the things above, and these are minor embuggerances I've found the Supra a thoroughly enjoyable and rewarding car to own. I only planned on keeping it a year, but its a permanent fixture now :D

Yeah, but it costs more than 15k to buy a 2000 Supra, too.

Russell

Paul Whiffin has a VVTI Supra TT (Last model produced) for sale for £14k ish....latest spec latest engine, leather, big front brakes..sweet :cool:

Mines also a 93 model auto. In the wet you use the manual option button and restrict it to certain gears as you would with a manual. As far as stuff going wrong I have only had the window switch go wrong on mine. I have had to replace rear shocks, but thats apparently on a schedule anyway due to the pressure from the back wing. I've had mine for nearly 3 years now and its a beaut! The majority of jap cars have circa 50k miles on them even at the age of my car!!! The other thing to bear in mind is that the price of supra's seem to be dropping quite sharply at the moment and you can pick one up for a lot less than you might think. In regards to the reliabilty of turbo's and stuff I defy you to keep the car for years with this gang and not start modifying it!!! I was perfectly happy with mine until I met this lot, now I have a custom leather interior, De-cat pipes and indiglo dials on order, and a supercharger fit next on the list. After that a spot of NOS but I think you get the idea lol.. I don't drive on many A or B roads so I can't comment on general driveability much but on major dual carriageways etc it is a dream to drive. Best bet is to drive one and see what you think.

Now, looking back, I think you are probably right. Thing is, I had just driven a Prelude Vtec and that seemed much more stable. It didn't help that the 200SX flung its back out on a bend in the wet.

Russell

The very reason I love them so much image

Evidence :D

200SX - The Drifters choice.

Hi Russell - welcome to the board:) Sounds like you want something which is faster than a gt4 but more "chuckable" than a supra around corners.Look at the Skyline R33 GTR(poss V-spec) it may be everything you need

Good lookin(imo)

Fast (twin Turbo)

Coupe

JAP

Grippy

I have driven both and also used to own a prelude Vtec and I would choose the supra everytime in terms of looks.If you can cope with the (comparitivley) bland skyline interior test drive one in Neils words(H1SUPE) it drives like a big scooby - which of course isnt a bad thing at all !

Good luck in your search

ThunDeR:

Nice recovery.

"far"

I suppose you are right. I am not discounting anything, but since the Supra is the car I have wanted for a while I will probably get one, albeit a newer car. Say a '98 or '99 depending on cost. The New Era website a few weeks ago had some at these ages, but they were quite expensive. Some of them had those horrific Veilside bodykits on, too - spoils the whole look for me.

Am I correct in thinking that there was a facelift in '96 and the new vvti engines came in in '98?

The other plus point for me is insurance: £780 for a Honda Civic, 675 for a Leon Cupra R, and guess what? £480 for a Supra TT on a '98 plate! Fully comp with protected no claims! Does insurance groupings mean anything any more? The Supra is a 19 car, but the other two are 17 ??

Russell

*** PS: I have just noticed that you seem to have a Veilside car - OOps! :stupid: It's just my opinion ya know! I just like the supra the way it is ***

You are correct on the facelift and VVTi front but do bear in mind that the VVTi engine may give you more bhp as stock but is a lot more expensive to further tune than its younger bro!!! If you want the paddle shift auto then go for the facelift if not look long and hard for a really low miler pre-facelift for good money ie 8kish they are available and put the bits on it you want. Facelift alloys, front bumpers and other bits that make it different are readily available due to the mod peeps. Be very very fussy as there are now a lot of cars about! Happy hunting boyo lol.