The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Test drove a Supra yesterday..

SupraFluff

Hello.

I'm looking for some advice..

We looked at a '93 N/A Auto yesterday afternoon, in storm blue, lovely looking car. I took it out for a drive and there were a few problems -

As I pulled away from the lights, when the car wanted to change from 1st to 2nd gear, there was a dead spot.. the power just went away for about 2 seconds, then suddenly jumped into 2nd gear and we got going again.

This happened again when it tried to find 2nd gear. I thought we’d run out of petrol so I started to pull over then it suddenly found 2nd gear again and we continued back to the garage.

Does anyone know what this could be? (The car is quite cheap, so if this is a big thing, like new gearbox needed, we’ll walk away)

Maybe its got something to do with the fact that there was hardly any petrol in it, and they had to start it with jump leads cos the battery was dead? The garage told me the car hadn’t been used very much by the previous owner and it had been standing for months.

I hope someone can give me some advice so we can decide about whether to consider buying or just to walk away.

Maria

Im not an expert but the gearbox sounds fooked, I have n/a auto and its smoother at changing gears than my friends 03 merc SLK, Shame you aint close or I could have shown you what they are suppose to drive like. It should be smooth changing gears and when you put it in reverse it takes about 1 second to engage I believe thats normal. If the car was low on petrol it would splutter on acceleration not only when trying to change gear. Hope this helps.

Doesnt sound great to me, surely if your selling a car you make sure its ready to go on its test drive before the potential buyer turns up.

I'd walk away and find one thats been looked after and is fault free, you will probably pay more in the short term but win hands down over time.

Thanks guys. Thats made my mind up.

Another thing that made me think its a bit dodgy, when I put the Registration number in for an insurance quote, it came up with Manual Twin Turbo (which is why we drove for miles to look at it) and it turned out to be N/A auto. They said its just the DVLA screwing things up again :\

If you have the slightest doubt then walk away is my motto, i made the mistake of not doing this last year, 3 months of hassel with a car dealer and that was on work that the car needed and was all agreed in writing before the purchase.

Never again

Good luck on your search :)

Hi as said above i would walk away, i did with the first supra me and tony looked at, we saw it the first time loved it then went back a few days later with cash to buy but got spooked with all the log book details... make sure you are totally happy with everything before buying,

I am suprised the garage havent maintained it well, starting it every so often etc, they wll lose a potential sale not bothering.

Hope you find one soon tho!:D

I think you have gut instincts for a reason, and they're usually 100% spot-on! I know what's happened every time I didn't listen to mine. :(

There's enough Supras around just now at decent prices that you can wait for that right one to turn up and then have loads more fun. :)