The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looking at a Supra, Help please!

geoffvalenti

Hi all,

First post so be gentle :-)

My name's Geoff and I'm presently running an MR2 turbo.

I'm looking at a Supra tomorrow, its a '97 RZ-S TT auto, full leather, 36000 miles, been in the country since mid-late 1998 (3500 miles),

converted to UK spec (allegedly, I'll know more when I've seen the paperwork), FTSH since then, 4 pot calipers on the front, rears unknown as yet, 17" OEM wheels etc. Claimed immaculate condition (aren't they all :-()

From the vin plate its got the smaller diff according to the NZ site, is this a problem?

Whats a car like this worth?

I know its hard to be exact, but a rough guide between £x,000 and £x,000 would be helpful

Anything I should really be looking out for?

I've driven a few Supras so I've got some idea how it should go but I'm always willing to take advice.

I'm looking in the morning so speedy replies would be much appreciated :-)

Thanks in advance

Geoff

:)

Geoff

You need to run search; lots of folks who are new ask this question.

Supras are very sound cars but like with others they can be poor. I would look for body repairs; noises, signs of abuse, water in oil; try to find out oil change intervals with proof; check no weird turbo noise and tgat no2 comes in at 4000 ish. Just be cautious they are good cars.

Price 12-14 ish?- someone else will dispute doubtless.

Fifty

Good luck:D

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like this car doesn't have a rear spoiler :-( (can't be sure until I've seen it)

Is this going to be difficult/expensive to source and fit?

How much does it affect the value?

Sorry for all the questions, I really have searched the archives before asking :-)

Geoff

There are a few strange folk around who seem to like to castrate the Supra by removing the spoiler - I'd see it as an excuse to knock £200 off the asking price and get a nice TRD wing ordered :)

If you like the standard wing they often come up for sale on here when cars get broken - Supras seem to die head on so the wings are usually intact.

They can look good with no rear spoiler, have a look at the Bolney Best Supra thread - Hooper's car is the only example of a de-spoilered Supra I like so far, I think it's because the other mods work so well.

Have fun with the test drive Geoff and don't worry too much about the spoiler, press all the buttons, drive it hard and experience some of the excellent top end that really sets it off against the MR2 :)

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Terminator.

I think you're probably right about it just being the brakes upgraded, the other goodies would be nice but I'm not expecting it.

Bigger brakes are high on my list of desirable options, so if its already got them it'll save me some cash converting it.

Hopefully the spoiler wont present to much of a problem then, Certainly still worth viewing the car :-)

I'm off up the motorway to see it now so I'll let you all know how I get on.

Thanks once again

Geoff