The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What Wheels ?

dicko2011

Hi everyone,

Quick question, I have just purchased a uk spec supra TT and am looking at a new set of wheels. Will 19's / 20's go straight on or any modification required to arches / suspension etc. I have my eye on these but just want to know how hard it will be to actually get them to fit !!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-DEEP-DISH-TOYOTA-SUPRA-ALLOY-WHEELS-TYRES-SKYLINE_W0QQitemZ360137324092QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_Car_Wheels_ET?hash=item360137324092&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A3|39%3A1|240%3A1318

firstly to fit 20" or 19" wheels with someting like 285 tyres would at least require the rolling of the arches,

secondly using 19"s will affect the handling of the car, but using 20"s will be a ride from hell,

if you use your car as a show peice then fine, but if you are a driver that uses the car regular, then you may regret fitting them;)

thanks for the advice. I will definatly be driving the car not just parking up in it to look at so i am ruling the 20's out definatley. 18's or 19's hhmmmmmm !!!! decisions decisions

Maybe 18's and slightly lowered !!!! will make a decision soon cause i want the wheels ordered and fitted by end of next week . Thanks guys !

thanks for the advice. I will definatly be driving the car not just parking up in it to look at so i am ruling the 20's out definatley. 18's or 19's hhmmmmmm !!!! decisions decisions

Maybe 18's and slightly lowered !!!! will make a decision soon cause i want the wheels ordered and fitted by end of next week . Thanks guys !

i had 19"s on mine with the correct offset and the geo done, personaly i would not go 19s again, i may go 18s but probably 17s

For the love of god, if you have any respect for the car, the club, fellow owners, your friends, your passengers and yourself please dont put 20"s on;)

19"s are ok like Gaz say for normal driving and I dont find too great a differance since dropping to 18"s. However, anything spirited and you will notice a differance, especially in cornering. 18"s are the best compromise on looks and drive-ability:)

For the love of god, if you have any respect for the car, the club, fellow owners, your friends, your passengers and yourself please dont put 20"s on;)

19"s are ok like Gaz say for normal driving and I dont find too great a differance since dropping to 18"s. However, anything spirited and you will notice a differance, especially in cornering. 18"s are the best compromise on looks and drive-ability:)

LOL 20's are defo out and i am thinking 19's are now to. Am scouring ebay as we speak looking for a nice set of 18's that i can hit buy it now on !!!!

Whats your budget if you dont mind me asking? The traders on here are very helpfull and are good for scourcing what you want:)

Also remember to check the sizes and offsets to see if they are correct. you want a min width of 8.5 up front and 9.5 rear. Stock offset is 50 front and rear but most after market wheels are around the 35 - 40 mark IIRC (you'll have to check that), but if you go through a trader they wioll see you right:)

Edited by hoff (see edit history)

Whats your budget if you dont mind me asking? The traders on here are very helpfull and are good for scourcing what you want:)

Well i was looking at upto about £900 with tyres but i have seen a couple of nice sets of 18's with tyres for around £600 - £700 so ...

I am after a multispoke type looking wheel with a dish on and wider rears !

Well i was looking at upto about £900 with tyres but i have seen a couple of nice sets of 18's with tyres for around £600 - £700 so ...

If you are wanting set for that cash then ait for a set to pop up here.

The problem you have is that you have the big feck off brakes. Very little will fit over them without spacers, and as much as i am a fan of spacers, the just dont work on a supra.

If you are wanting set for that cash then ait for a set to pop up here.

The problem you have is that you have the big feck off brakes. Very little will fit over them without spacers, and as much as i am a fan of spacers, the just dont work on a supra.

Good point, I didn't even think about the UK brakes. You will certainly need to do your research. Best with talks to the traders again to find some examples within your budget. I had spacers on my rears at one point the ride was nasty on our roads.

You may be best to save a little more for a better quality wheel. There is quite a differance between a £800 package and a £1200-£1500 package it terms of weight and quality etc.

exactlly what tricky says, the normal wheel tyre combo you get from traders that cost less than a grand will have crap tyres, and crap tyres and rear wheel drive cars do NOT go together, there are so many supra (and lives) that have died because the only thing that keeps the car on the road were crap:(

Ok guys thanks for all the comments . This is getting complicated now , lol . I will defo do my research into all this and fingers crossed will have a decent set with decent tyres soon . Thanks .

Rob

If you find some you like and are unsure, just bung the details in a post and you will get a sensible answer:)

Well mostly;)

If you want a good value but still good quality tyre, you can usually upgrade the cheap crappy ones that come as standard on alloy wheel sets to falken's. They will cost you a bit more but they arn't such a steep step up as some of the other brands like toyo and goodyear but you still get a good tyre for your money.

These have been debated in the past and from what i read back when i was looking at new tyres, a lot of the owners here recommended them. So they might be worth bearing in mind to help de-complicate things :)

If that is your budget I would buy second hand, you won't get a decent set of quality wheels and tyres new for that money.